• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fiction Editor Needed

• Thread starter EditingServices
  • Start date

EditingServices

Editor needed by May 1, 2005. Freelance/Work from home. Manuscripts sent by .pdf or regular mail from client.

Pay rate: $5 per double spaced page. Sample: For a 300 page book pay rate is $1200. A four-week turnaround time per manuscript is asked for.

Send resume to: [email protected].

wordstory

fiction editor needed

I contacted these people and asked whether it was legit. Then I emailed my details and got an automated reply:

Our position has now been filled.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Our super-sleuth moderators figured out that this IP address was shared by BookDoc and Eussie, in case anyone was wondering why Eussie was banned.

We just don't appreciate it when people use Victoria's descriptions of what to look out for in a scam as a manual for how to create a scam.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Grrrr

:Soapbox:

Okay, I'm mad. I feel like a flippin' idiot. First, as a new person at AW, I'm enraged that anyone from this forum would attempt to take advantage of other members here. Second, as an editor, I'm furious over this kind of scam (which I have to admit, before these threads, I never knew about). And finally, I'm disgusted by who it was who set up this scam. Why did I bother giving her advice? Why did I bother sending her PM offering encouragement, even in the face of rejection?

Grrrrr.

Sorry, it just gets my undies in a twist when people abuse others, even after others have tried to help.

Yeah, I know. Let me put my rose-colored glasses back on. Just have to tape up the crack, that's all.

Feh.

:Headbang:

Okay, okay. Rant over. Time for coffee.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
You gave her advice because you're a nice person who wants to share your experience. :) I'd rather err on the side of trying to help than not, but yeah, it's always a shock when it happens.

When I saw the posts saying that an AW regular was behind it, I kind of suspected Eussie. She kept posting that she'd researched agents for a year, but also kept posting with requests for information about agents. Err...

And then there was the fact that on the same day she told us an agent had suggested she see a book doctor, those questionable ads appeared.

Anyway, thanks to AW's Guardian Angels for looking out for us. :Cheer:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
As I noted elsewhere, I am new to both the fiction-writing/publishing scene, and Internet forums ... so, please forgive my wet-behind-the-ears questions, such as: Where do you folks (e.g. brinkett, dragonjax) find those great smileys? I love the one banging itself against the wall! I NEED the one banging itself against the wall!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I moved her here, Jim.

The smileys, including the headbanger: When you post, there should be a smiley face on top of where you type the text. Click the arrow next to it, then go to the bottom and click "Show all Smilies." Ta-da!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Well, I'm glad the truth of this matter was discovered. I've been mostly lurking around AW for awhile, and I have to say that a lot of Eussie's posts just made me go "hmm..." Condolences to those who were "fooled" by her, but kudos to you for trying to help others. Don't blame yourselves for other people's dishonesty.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Just to clarify: I wasn't fooled by the scam messages; heck, I hadn't even seen them before Eussie was banned and the scam was announced. What I'm really disgruntled over is the time involved in replying to her various posts, as well as sending a PM or so, all about encouraging her in the face of rejection, things to keep in mind about handling rejection and what to look for in an agent, etc.

Basically, I'm just miffed.

And scammers offend me.

So I'm miffed AND offended.

Er, miffended? Moffed? Offed?

Anyway, kudos to the folks here who pulled off her evil mask. She was led away, kicking and screaming, saying how she would have gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling moderators!

Scooby snacks, anyone?

:)

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
What I don't understand is how she thought she could get away with the scam here, of all places. It was only a matter of time before one of the AW folks familiar with this sort of scam would read the threads and go "hmm..." A scam artist, perhaps, but not a very good one.

I understand what you mean, dragonjax. It's easier to brush off something like this when it's a complete stranger. Eussie had become a familiar face around AW and had received help from many AW regulars. It's unfortunate that she then turned around and tried to scam the people here.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of publishers who try to get their books copy-edited by calling a chapter an editing test and sending it to an applicant for a copy-editing job – a different applicant for each chapter.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
What I don't get is how some people can be so darn stupid. I'm still scratching my head over this one. Seriously, she wasn't an unintelligent person. She's a math teacher and owns her own business. (Her website http://www.unendinglove.com.) She has over 200 positive feedbacks on Ebay. I mean, to post her scam on the very website where the exact same scam was just discussed... argh! My mind is boggling!

This is a micro version of Victoria's theory, that all scammers get caught once they get greedy. The difference here is it all happened in a matter of hours. I'd almost think it was funny if she hadn't decided to throw the $5 fee in there. At that point it went from being stupid to being criminal. :crazy:

Last edited:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
XThe NavigatorX said:
I'd almost think it was funny if she hadn't decided to throw the $5 fee in there. At that point it went from being stupid to being criminal.
Just curious, were her actions LEGALLY criminal?

No, I'm not asking because I intend to pull the same scheme but have an aversion to orange jumpsuits. In fact, I'd be caught in a matter of minutes...because I'd feel so guilty I'd confess after my first post!

As a law-abiding writer, I'm just interested in learning what happens to these people. Do they just scamper on to the next board and the next scam?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Navigator, although I have no proof, she is probably breaking another law with her eBay business. On her website, she advertises custom-made Star Wars and Lord of the Rings dolls. But aren't those names trademarked? Wouldn't she need a licensing agreement? And do you really think she received one from the creators of those franchises?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Birol said:
Navigator, although I have no proof, she is probably breaking another law with her eBay business. On her website, she advertises custom-made Star Wars and Lord of the Rings dolls. But aren't those names trademarked? Wouldn't she need a licensing agreement? And do you really think she received one from the creators of those franchises?
Oy. It's one thing to make fan stuff for friends, etc., but to sell such things, especially so publicly, is Not A Good Idea.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
RoseReifsnyder said:
Just curious, were her actions LEGALLY criminal?
As a law-abiding writer, I'm just interested in learning what happens to these people. Do they just scamper on to the next board and the next scam?

Honestly, from what I've read and experienced, people like that usually just move on to the next target without much of a pause. Not because their actions aren't criminal, but because the authorities aren't going to waste their time on something they consider small potatoes or that skates just outside the line of criminality.

So you get someone who lives their entire life dishonorably, and they don't get punished until, cocky from lack of punishment in the past, they REALLY step over the line.

The only way to deal with someone like this is to be diligent and spread the word about them so that other people won't fall for the same scams.

A little poking around on google shows that the US government considers 'work at home schemes' to be internet fraud -- but I'd bet they only prosecute the big, multiple offenses, scammed lots of money criminals.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Thank goodness that so few scammers are any good at it.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Hmmm....I'm a freelance editor who offers a free sample edit to potential clients (two pages). This thread makes me wonder how many people requesting a sample edit have made the same request of countless other editors, in order to have a book edited for free. Nonetheless, I will continue to offer a free sample edit, as that is one of the best ways for clients to verify that I do, in fact, know what I am doing. (And I would say that 80 percent of the time I do a sample edit, the person requesting it ends up contracting me.) But this scam takes the cake!

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
If scammers need only a proofread, then they can get away with the two-page approach. But if they need a real edit, it won't help them at all. Editing is subjective, especially developmental editing--and even copy editing, to a degree, in terms of consistency of style.