• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Book Editing Comp (Scam Posted by Eussie)

BookDoc

First annual Book Editing competition. Edit one chapter of a book (sample will be sent to you along with competition details).

Closes April 30, 2005

Entry fee: $5 (payable by paypal)
ALL entry fees are to be used to offset prize money!

First place: $150
Second place: $75
third place: $25

Entries are strictly limited to 50 places.

Entries will be judged according to adherence to general editing guidelines, including the correction of:
____ Telling narrative instead of showing characters feelings.
____ Heavy use of adverbs and adjectives.
____ Lacks effective background development.
____ Heavy description that stops/interferes with story.

Full competition details available upon request, please email [email protected] for full details.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
My Spidey sense is tingling.

Both the BookDoc and Editing Services post within minutes of each other. Both have the same IP number.

Something's not kosher here.

I'm advising caution to anyone considering parting with 5 bucks to be part of this "contest."

Oh heck, I'll go one step further: Don't enter this contest and if you take "Editing Services" up on their "job", whaddaya wanna bet you have to pass a test first? And wonder what test that might be?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hmmm. I'd definitely like to see a little more actual information about this whole thing--who is running it, what the point is, etc.

Seems rather aimed at folks who would LIKE to break into fiction editing, but aren't sure how to go about it.

Wonder what Uncle Jim and Hapi would have to say about it. Seems "off" to me, too.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I seriously spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard after reading this.

Not only can you edit my manuscript, but you can pay me $5 for the privilege! :Thumbs:

Deleted member 42

This kind of contest has all sorts of legal restrictions; I'm deeply, deeply suspicious. Save your money, and go to one of the legit editing workshops/seminars, or apply for an internship.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Entries will be judged according to adherence to general editing guidelines, including the correction of:
____ Telling narrative instead of showing characters feelings.
____ Heavy use of adverbs and adjectives.
____ Lacks effective background development.
____ Heavy description that stops/interferes with story.

[Hand to forehead; eyes closed] My psychic powers tell me – absolute silence, please, a message is crystallizing – that the words "Telling narrative" and "Heavy use" have been uttered before. Or perhaps they were written; an image of something white appears before me. White and rectangular. It looks like paper. Could it be – a manuscript? Yes! It's a manuscript, my friends! I see it clearly now. And this manuscript has traveled a long distance through the ether, uh, I mean through the mails. Possibly it made a journey from its originator to a judge of some sort who pronounced it – dare I speak the feared word? – unworthy, but not without hope of redemption. Then it began its arduous return journey. Forgive my vagueness, loyal listeners, for the powers flicker and grow weak. There may be a skeptic in the room. In the presence of skeptics, the powers refuse to reveal their secrets. They throw a cloak of mist over the truth and withdraw from my intuitive sensing.

Yes, the presence of skeptics surely makes a difference.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
*snort* Sounds to me like somebody has a lot of editing they want done, and rather than doing it or paying someone to do it they're trying to actually get people to PAY THEM for the "honor" of doing it. I sincerely hope that very few sucke...er, people fall for this.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Kasey, you're right. This person (all 3 of her screen names) has been banned. Do NOT respond to this "contest," folks. I put it in the "Bewares" section for a reason.