• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Raines & Raines Literary Agency

I Write Scary Stuff

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Raines & Raines? They were formerly on Park Avenue and now seem to have relocated upstate to Medusa, near the Catskills.

Any information anyone might have will be greatly appreciated. :D

I Write Scary Stuff

Registered
Reaction score
is anyone remotely familar with them? i have a full request after they read my partial. i sent the partial to Theron Raines, but it appears his wife Joan is handling.

I Write Scary Stuff

Registered
Reaction score
good question. there is some info on them, and they are on agent query. both have handled some well-known writers, but they don't have a website and I was looking for someone who may have worked or interacted with them.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
They're quite well along in years--Mr. Raines is a veteran of World War II--and the move to working out of their country place may reflect an overall scaling-back of their work's scope.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting. Jeff Herman's Guide has almost no info on them, but their list of representative titles is pretty impressive, but are mostly titles I recognize as movies. They must have good connections to Hollywood. They seem to represent the authors of these novels before they turned into films:
-Deliverance
-Forrest Gump
-Die Hard
-My Dog Skip

I've also heard of the children's book: How to Eat Fried Worms.

Weird there's so little information on them out there with all this under their belt.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
There are some feedbacks about them here ..
http://www.querytracker.net/agentInfo.php?agent=271

Therone Raines is an AAR member. http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealt.htm

Also ..
Fiction Genres Commercial
Science Fiction
Thriller
Whimsical

Nonfiction Genres Action/Adventure
Autobiography/Biography
Finance/Investing
History
Military/War
Narrative
Psychology

Submission Guidelines Postal mail: query with SASE.

I found 71 hits on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=Theron+Raines&x=0&y=0
It appears that Mr. Raines is also an author of several books.

Last edited:

JayliaDarkness

Stepping through the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
As per the guidelines I found online, I send my query by mail to Theron Raines, and included an SASE. Two weeks later, he emailed me to say he wanted to see my first 40 pages. Glad I used a stamp…

Nonetheless, I was thrilled with the chance to show Theron my chapters. He asked for them exclusively. By the end of the week, he responded. He said they didn’t match my query, and suggested I make a few points clearer. I thanked him for his advice and asked if I could resubmit. He said yes, and offered more helpful suggestions. I edited and sent it to my critique partner. In the meantime, I heard back from an agent I’d queried a long time ago. She offered me representation, so I thanked Theron for his help and apologized for not being able to work with him.

Overall, I am very pleased with my dealings with the agency.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding any agenting activity after '17. Anyone have recent contact?