• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

McHugh Literary Agency (Elisabet McHugh)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings --
Has anybody had any experience(s) with McHugh Literary Agency (e.g. Elisabet McHugh)? I haven't received any response -- despite a follow-up to my original query -- and I'm wondering if I should just cross the name off my list.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Same thing for me. She replied to my emailed query the same day, requesting two chapters. That was six months ago, and nothing further. I’m waiting patiently, assuming she’s a slow reader.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Elisabet McHugh is a multi-published children's writer turned agent. As far as I know, she doesn't charge fees, though she does seem to ask clients to provide multiple full ms. copies upfront--sometimes as many as 30, which is way more than would be needed, even for an auction.

She began agenting without any experience, and was slow to break in, as often happens when people come into agenting from other fields, but has managed to make at least some sales. However, I've received and seen a number of complaints about inefficiency and nonresponsiveness. Several clients have reported no response despite repeated attempts at contact, and say they were unable to get info about where their mss. were submitted or whether/how they were rejected.

- Victoria

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info -- I'll just scratch her name off my list -- and if she does get around to sending me a responsej, I'll post about it once the shock wears off ...

CathD

McHugh Agency

Just found this thread. I had an experience with Ms McHugh :rant: two years ago. Emailed a query. She asked to read ms. Said she liked it. Sent me a contract, asked me to send 19 partials and 4 complete manuscripts.
I'm in Canada. Can you imagine the postage costs? So I asked if she could make the copies and I'd pay her. Yeah, okay, so I'm out $300 and change. Call me stupid.
Well, she sent out all 19, or so she said, gave me a list of publishers. A few rejections trickled in. She sent email updates with a list of who said no, so I never saw these letters myself. I then asked her if she'd like to read another novel I'd finished. She read it, said she loved it, and again asked for 19 partials, etc.
And then I never heard from her again. Months went by. I was polite, both by email and snail mail. Nothing. She vanished completely! I did the research I should have done prior to signing with her and learned to my dismay that she has a habit of doing this -- getting clients then dropping out of sight. I sent her a registered letter to sever our relationship (someone signed for it, so I know she wasn't abducted by aliens.) Lost about a year of my writing time.
To make this long story short: beware this so-called agent. I will never ever again deal with an agent who replies to emails in monosyllabic single words, eg yes, no, sure ... And I'll certainly beware of an agent willing to send out my work as is, without the slightest sugestion for change or edits.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
I received an email reply from Ms. McHugh as well. Requested my first 3 chapters. That was months and months ago. I emailed her twice, asking if she got my chapters, but she never responded.

I crossed her off my list.

Cheryll

stephblake24

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed her a query for a women's fiction on April 5th, 2006 and never got a response. Never mind!

deloma

Registered
Reaction score
elisabet McHugh

I signed with McHugh, had my book published, got two statements from her, then never heard from her again.
I would not recommend this agency.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Could you clarify "had my book published"? If Ms. McHugh is withholding royalties, you need to consult a lawyer, pronto.

deloma

Registered
Reaction score
McHugh

Could you clarify "had my book published"? If Ms. McHugh is withholding royalties, you need to consult a lawyer, pronto.

McHugh represented me. She had nothing to do with finding a publisher. The publisher, Carol Publishing, had contacted me. I used her to check the contract.

Contacing a lawyer takes money, and frankly, I'm just tired of the whole mess.
I don't know if she withheld money or not. I do know the book did not sell well. But the least she could have don't was let me know.
I had to call the publisher to find out what was going on with my book.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, Deloma. I hope your next effort fares far better.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No sign of recent sales.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered