What are the reputation levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know what you guys are talking about. Can't find them.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Can I view any comments made if people have given me karma (reputation)?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Go into your User Control Panel (User CP in the list of menu options up top) to see your reputation points and the comments people have left for you.

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
Go into your User Control Panel (User CP in the list of menu options up top) to see your reputation points
I think these reputation points are a load of crap. All they do is encourage posters to make politically correct helpful posts, and encourage a mutual recognition love-fest, where people award reputation points to another. A bit like PA book reviews, in fact.

Now if people do not SEE who gives them reputation points (this info would be only available for Jenna) then they would be a little more useful. But until then, they are as valuable as the special paper hats that McDonald's awards their employees of the month.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
And that's exactly why everything on the boards was made invisible (no more green blobs, no shiny rep levels, no nothing), and why one must look in one's own User CP to read the comments.

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
And that's exactly why everything on the boards was made invisible (no more green blobs, no shiny rep levels, no nothing), and why one must look in one's own User CP to read the comments.
I take your point about the green blobs etc, and maybe it is a bug in the vBulletin message board software which allows users to 'get at' the reputation by positioning the cursor in precisely the right place.

But the genie is out of the bottle now, so 'getting at' the reputation in this way is what AW users are doing. Which is hardly surprising, because it is rather entertaining. As soon as I heard of this system, I confidently checked out one member of this forum, expecting to see Should be interned or something similar, float before my eyes. But, instead, what do I see? Something along the lines of shining jewel. Bloody hell!!!

Now, I didn't need to be an Einstein to realize that if this member was a shining jewel, then I was the Queen of Sheba. Something else must be afoot, and the answer was easy to find. Reputations are not only related to the points received, it is also related to factors such as number of posts, and time spent on this forum.

Finally, reputation will have an influence whether user CP is private or not. No-one likes to receive lots of negative reputation points (apart from me, I really couldn't give a sh*t) when they fire up AW. I suspect that a few members of this forum view their CP (say, every morning) with considerable trepidation. These members may tailor some posts because of this trepidation, rather than simply posting according to house rules.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
John, you don't have any validation for the comments you are making, other than you don't agree with the reputation-level of a person you do not like.

I strongly suggest you don't try to revamp the entire board to your personal liking. As has been indicated before, AW is very tolerant of differing viewpoints. Don't try to stir up trouble just for the sake of it.

Last edited:

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
John, you don't have any validation for the comments you are making,
I am not criticizing the policy of the site. There is nothing wrong with making reputation points dependent on time served, or number of posts, in addition to member feedback. But this must be transparent.

Are you saying that I am wrong?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm confused. Do you really think that there are many members here who'd rather their rep point count go up than state their opinion, ask a question, answer a question or talk about writing? Are you really ticked off about this? That's remarkable. If there are a few rep point hounds out there, then I guess theyll get the reward they're seeking while the rest of us enjoy the purpose of these boards. I can't see the point in wasting adrenaline getting bunched up over it.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I guess I'm not also clear on your concern, John. There are two different types of reputation. One is based on length of time and number of posts (On a Distinguished Road, Super Member, etc.) that appears under a person's avatar. The other is the invisible words that are based (as I understand it) SOLELY on user comments. Now, I've only been here since June of this year. I've racked up nearly 850 posts, which hasn't done one thing for my "shiny, shiny jewel" ranking. Those came from the 130 people who have sent me a nice note telling me that they appreciated my advice. I'm glad I was able to help them, since the goal here IS advice, from authors, publishers, editors, agents and everyone in between to those seeking help. What can be more transparent? :Shrug:

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
User is infamous around these parts: -999999

User isn't playing nicely with others: -30

User has shown some questionable behavior: -10

User is an unknown quantity at this point: 0

User is on a distinguished road: 10

User is well-respected: 50

User has a spectacular aura: 80

User is a shiny, shiny jewel: 125

User is a glorious beacon of light: 175

User is a splendid one to behold: 250

User has earned our admiration: 300

User leaves trails of profuse coolness: 400

User should run for President: 500

User has a golden reputation: 600

User has a double-platinum reputation: 700

User is better than ice cream with hot fudge: 800

User is a candidate for sainthood: 900

User is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments: 1000

I don't understand this. How do you get them? Where do you see them? Someone said that if you run your cursor over a letter under your screen name you can see them (they pop up!). I tried it and didn't work. I'm confused.

Reaction score
I only recently worked out what rep points were, and have just noticed some luvverly messages left for me, so apologies to people - I haven't been ignoring you, I do appreiate your points, and I'll try to remember to share out my rep points! This is the first board of which I've been a member that deals in these, so it's hard to remember they exist!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
macandal said:
I don't understand this. How do you get them? Where do you see them? Someone said that if you run your cursor over a letter under your screen name you can see them (they pop up!). I tried it and didn't work. I'm confused.

You are "On a Distinguished Road" macandal. Here's what you do to see it. Take the VERY tippy-tip point of your cursor arrow and pretend that there's another line of text beneath where it says

Place the cursor where a letter would appear under the "P" in Posts. A small yellow pop-up box will appear when the cursor has STOPPED moving. You might have to shift it a bit from side to side and up and down just a fraction, but once the cursor has STOPPED, you'll see it! :D

Reaction score
Is there any way to find out how many points you have, or do you just see what your reputation level is?

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
There are two different types of reputation
I do not believe that you are correct (I have just received a new batch of NEPAT happy pills, so I am being nice again). vBulletin forums, of which this is one, only have one reputation. But these forums also have user ranks. Ranks are based on the number of posts, reputations are more complex. They may be based only on points received from other members, but Jenna may, at her discretion, introduce other factors, such as the elapsed time since registration, and the number of posts.

The message I am talking about, shining jewel, is reputation, not rank.

For more info, see http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/main/reputation

Now if a moderator pops up here and says 'John, what you say is wrong. Reputations on AW are based purely on the opinions of other people' then I will accept it. This is too trivial a matter to fight over, even if I think the reputation system really sucks. That's just my opinion, after all.

But saying 'John, you are wrong' is not the same as saying 'you have nothing to validate your comments'.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
macandal said:

Mcandal, to see your rep comments and points, go into your User CP and look down the page until you see the words "Last Reputation Received." Your point total is listed there, along with all the nice comments people have left for you. You can also see which posts they commented on, as well as who left the comment, and the date.

For the other: look under your avatar. See where it says Join Date, Location and Posts? Hover your cursor just below the P or the O in posts and a line will pop up. It may take a second to find it, but it's there. :)

Ooops, Cathy, we must have been posting at the same time! ;)
Scarletpeaches, here's the info you wanted. Look up. lol

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
by JohnJStephens: Now if a moderator pops up here and says 'John, what you say is wrong. Reputations on AW are based purely on the opinions of other people' then I will accept it.
Look under my name, darlin' . . . ;) If you look at the top of the forum page, you'll see the farthest left link in the blue bar that says "User CP" Click on that link and you'll go to your Control Panel. When it pops up, on the left, you'll see your editing abilities for signature, avatar, etc. In the center/right, you'll see Subscribed Threads and Reputation Comments. In the blue bar, it will say "Latest Reputation Received." This number DIRECTLY correlates to the "User is on a distinguished road" "User is well-respected" etc. I was "well-respected" until just a few days ago, when I reached 125 reputation points and raised to "shiny, shiny jewel". Now, moderators can award more than one reputation point per comment (2 of them) and Super Moderators can award 10 points per comment. But that's it. No time lengths, no number of posts. Now, I will say that older members who were from the time of frantic accumulation of points will have abnormally high scores, but the moderators felt that it wouldn't be fair to rob them of everything -- even points that were well-deserved, so they stayed the same after the switch to "invisible."

Does that make sense?

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Get a life, dude. Take the kudos when they come, pass em out when you feel moved, and just, well, don't make a big deal out of a harmless thing that makes most of us smile in a profession where positive reinforcement is hard to come by.

Reaction score
Cathy C said:
In the center/right, you'll see Subscribed Threads and Reputation Comments. In the blue bar, it will say "Latest Reputation Received."

I don't have that. I think. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.