The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Scribblers House LLC

The writer around the corner Bourgeois Nerd's Avatar

[Agency] Scribblers House LLC

I searched this area for the agency and found nothing. Their website says that you shouldn't submit unless you're a big muckity-muck -

----Only considers novels by fiction writers who have previously published with a bona fide book publisher or have published short fiction with journals and magazines.

Well, I guess I have to pass, right? I mean, I've never even published a short story in a literary journal so I shouldn't even CONSIDER darkening their email inbox with my asanine query. WHAT WAS I THINKING, I realize I'm waaaay out of line trying to write a decent book that people would want to read.

Signed,
    A big gaping nobody
    Last edited by Bourgeois Nerd; 05-08-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Grammar is important, even on Internet boards

They're primarily a non-fiction agency. I don't think they would do a particularly good job representing new novelists, so they're probably wise in being upfront about not doing that.

I guess that makes sense. Thing is, Ice Cream E., is that there are a number of agencies that don't want queries from newcomers.

practical experience, FTW
    Stedman Mays (top agent at Scribblers House) is a long-term fixture in the publihing industry, and a very good agent. He can afford to be picky.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

So, who else is like that - can afford to be picky? I don't want to waste my time if I know who they are.

Absolutely Fazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Nerd View Post
    I guess that makes sense. Thing is, Ice Cream E., is that there are a number of agencies that don't want queries from newcomers.
    But it's a pretty small number. Most agents are still open to newcomers.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    So? Publish with a bona fide book publisher or publish short fiction with a journal or magazine.

What's stopping you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Nerd View Post
    So, who else is like that - can afford to be picky? I don't want to waste my time if I know who they are.
    The people who say on their websites, or in their entries in directories, that they're not open to queries from unpublished authors.

Otherwise, they're open to queries from unpublished authors.

ideas are floating where they will Stlight's Avatar
    where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
    And it is reeeeeeaaaaalllyyy important to believe an agent when they say what they rep. Don't ever, no never - what never? - no never - talk one into reping a genre that they don't know.

I know you can't with the biggies but some of the new less secure ones... Nevermind, just don't do it.

Stlight

practical experience, FTW
    I just looked at the Web site, and I think I am going to give them a shot. Anyone have any experience with them? Know anything about response times? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    So? Publish with a bona fide book publisher or publish short fiction with a journal or magazine.

What's stopping you?
    Uh, rejections from literary journals? Yeah, that's it. Heh, and I have been published, but as a freelancer not connected to what I'm writing now. Very technical stuff.

I do know about those who aren't accepting queries. Obviously, one doesn't try with them. This agent just seemed limiting, that's all. Just blowing off steam here.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Link?

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    That link doesn't work for me... FYI.

Hmm, looks like they're gone. No sign of either Mays or Gambino outside their other venture: http://www.goodshortnovels.com/, which hasn't been updated in quite a while.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Benefactor Member
    The link http://www.scribblershouse.net/
    is working now and according to the site (as of this moment) they accept email queries.

Goddess of Rationalization Hathor's Avatar
    Has anyone even been able to get through to them or know if they are still active? I queried back in April and there was no response. I have been trying to requery (with a rewritten work) for several days and my emails bounce. The comments on QueryTracker indicate bounced emails for months. The website, QueryTracker, and AgentQuery say that queries must be emailed. I can't find a telephone number.

I guess I'll write this one off unless someone has positive information.

But I'll look at the bright side. I can erase one of my rejections now

Nope, no activity since '09.
    ICAO
    ---------