Status
Not open for further replies.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I bought and will be reading soon The Maze Runner by James Dashner (does anyone else think his name is funny with the title of the book?

Yes :D Funny in a cool way :)

I finished Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson
She writes with sheer brilliance and real insight. A tough but gripping read.

I read (sheepishly) Fallen - Lauren Kate
Argh, I dont know what it is about this paranormal romance stuff. I just find it very superficial - the love story, that is, weakly linked in with a half-baked angel storyline. I thought nothing really happened for the first half of the book, then the climax was really random and the characters all started doing weird things that came out of nowhere and it made no sense. Dont even get me started on the really odd love triangle that didnt match characters motivations. Then again, isnt this book a current bestseller? So, maybe other people love this kind of stuff?

Just finished today: Some Girls Are - Courtney Summers.
Wow. I think I forgot to breathe while reading it. I seriously had stomach pains (nerves, tension and guilt ;)) on behalf of the MC. Courtney's my new fave YA read. Her pacing is brilliant, the characters are real and flawed and they resonate.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
FINALLY finished Hush, Hush Sunday night, then wrote a book review on my blog.

I'm currently reading Living Dead Girl. Disturbing. So, so disturbing.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Living Dead Girl stayed with me for weeks after I read it. Haunting book.

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
@ DrummerGirl - no, I totally agree with you in regards to "Fallen". I didn't like it... For me, the description was waaayyy too long (or maybe it just wasn't tactful and full of imagery?). Ah, there was something about it that turned me off it.

I'm reading Beautiful Creatures right now. It's been good, so far! Though wouldn't be on my "list of books to be buried with" LOL :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started a book called "I Kissed A Zombie, And I Liked It" by Adam Selzer. How could you not pick up a book with such a silly title? So far I'm loving it. It's not too profound, but it is pretty hilarious. It's either using zombies, vampires, and werewolves to make fun of high school cliques and bitchery, or it's using the setting of shallow high school drama to make fun of how silly the notion of undead romance is. And I can't tell if it's an intentional dig at Twilight and the like or not. Anyway, very entertaining.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I started a book called "I Kissed A Zombie, And I Liked It" by Adam Selzer. How could you not pick up a book with such a silly title? So far I'm loving it. It's not too profound, but it is pretty hilarious. It's either using zombies, vampires, and werewolves to make fun of high school cliques and bitchery, or it's using the setting of shallow high school drama to make fun of how silly the notion of undead romance is. And I can't tell if it's an intentional dig at Twilight and the like or not. Anyway, very entertaining.

Adam like to mock these types of things and from what I've heard, it's yes to all of the above!

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I just finished:

Leaving Paradise -- Simone Elkeles
I loved it. Initially, it was a little bit slow, but then the tension was fast and layered. I like how she alternates POV's (1st person) between the male MC and female MC. Can't wait for the sequel :)

If I Stay -- Gayle Forman
(I read this last year, but wanted a re-read to look at her execution)
She writes really well, and had a unique premise. I enjoyed it, but didnt love it (despite feeling a little teary ;)). I think she executed it well. The main thing for me, was the way the story was constructed, it meant a lot of it was flashbacks and not happening in real time, which defuses some of the tension for me.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. It's a very scary concept that gave me chills right when I read the back. I usually don't like books on third person either because they never seem personal enough, but he really does a great job with it.

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
I had some vacation days, so I indulged a lot. Here are the books I recently read & enjoyed & would recommend. [NOTE: None are authors I am friends with--although I have met & liked Sarah Rees Brennan--so I think they're all objective recommendations.] :

THE RISE OF RENEGADE X by Chelsea Campbell (supervillains, heroes, upper YA)

SHADOW HILLS by Anastasia Hopcus (paranormal romance, boarding school, altered humans)

PERSONAL DEMONS by Lisa Desrochers (demons, angels, and very steamy romance, upper YA)

BLOODTHIRSTY by Flynn Meany (YA, boy-centric, he pretends to be a vamp to get girls, VERY clever concept, writing, & resolution)

DEMON's COVENANT by Sarah Rees Brennan (Book 2 in a trilogy, very actiony but w romance)

Not YA--

THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE by Maryrose Wood (MG, governess takes on job minding feral children, LOVED it.)

THE ZOMBIE CHASERS by John Kloepfer (MG, young reader, 3 kids deal w a zombie infestation in their town, gross fun)

BLACK BUTLER (manga, Victorian era, sorta Artemis Fowl, but w a demon for his very efficient butler)

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished:

Leaving Paradise -- Simone Elkeles
I loved it. Initially, it was a little bit slow, but then the tension was fast and layered. I like how she alternates POV's (1st person) between the male MC and female MC. Can't wait for the sequel :)

I find myself always coming back to your posts - LOL, you always have something that interests me!

Have you read "Perfect Chemistry" by Simone? I ordered it online, waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully, it will be good! I might have to pick this one up, too (I raided amazon and had made a HUGE list of "to reads" and this was on it, too).

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
BLOODTHIRSTY by Flynn Meany (YA, boy-centric, he pretends to be a vamp to get girls, VERY clever concept, writing, & resolution)

This sounds like something I would absolutely adore. I'm adding it to my list.

Right now, I'm reading THE ASK AND THE ANSWER, which is the sequel to THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO. And yes, this is an evil series full of cliffhangers and bite-your-hangnails-until-they-bleed moments, which you can't stop reading even though... I can't say it without spoiling things. But yeah... cliffhangers.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

(I have a strange feeling Suzanne Collins read this before writing The Hunger Games.)

Ugawa

Registered
Reaction score

BLACK BUTLER

Kuroshitsuji, I've watched that. The anime follows a different storyline to the manga, though.

Bloodthirsty sounds like an awesome twist on the vampire sub-genre. I'm definitely going to be adding that to my list :D.

Ugawa

Registered
Reaction score
Living Dead Girl stayed with me for weeks after I read it. Haunting book.

I read that the other week. I didn't really take to it, though. I felt no emotion toward the MC and the ending made me roll my eyes.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Have you read "Perfect Chemistry" by Simone? I ordered it online, waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully, it will be good! I might have to pick this one up, too (I raided amazon and had made a HUGE list of "to reads" and this was on it, too).

I LOVED Perfect Chemistry. It's multi-layered and has great sub-plots, as well as an awesome romance full of conflict/tension/lust :D. It's engaging for a reader, but as a writer, I love the way she handled tension and how well created the characters are. Enjoy it :)

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles

I'm almost done with it and not liking it as much as I did her newer books.

I checked them out on her website, and just stuck with getting Perfect Chemistry and Leaving Paradise (and their sequels). I think the 'How to...' series is for a slightly younger audience and written with a different flavour. They seem more lighthearted and quirky. (Not that I've read them, Lol).

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I started a UK proof copy of Carrie Ryan's THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES last night. It's only that I MUST finish rewrites by this Sunday that's stopping me from dropping everything to devour it. I've been taking it slowly so far, and oh man, I'd forgotten how much I love this world even though it also terrifies me.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
About to start reading The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. It's been calling to me from the top of my TBR pile for a while now.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Living Dead Girl and Shiver.

I'm determined to push my way through Ironside and Eyes Like Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.