What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a few pages into the Magicians by Lev Grossman. Boring. For the last 30 pages the author has been describing what every character is wearing. Luckily, I ordered 8 good books from B&N today so I might just put the Magicians on hold when the other books come

Mahesh

i love books....lol
Registered
Reaction score
I read Gossip girl the prequel. it was really good but for once i think i actually prefer teh tv series to the books. usually its the other way around. My favorite charecter was Jenny Humphrey shes so funny in the book. and i read tempted as well. i think its the best of te series so far. i always read the house of night novels in like 2 days its so addictive :D

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier, which is really good so far :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started The Hundred-Towered City by Gary Kilworth, which I'm finding leaden, dull and completely uninspiring. All this despite the fact that it's set in turn-of-the-19th-century Prague and features Franz Kafka as a side character.

MM

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Jut finished Hold Still (which I loved) and just started Psych Major Syndrome.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I did say I wouldn't be reading more YA this year, but I finished GRRM's A Feast for Crows quicker than I expected, so I'm just about to start Julie Anne Peters's Keeping You a Secret, as it's due back at the library next week. (Somehow a US book, one never published in the UK, has ended up in Hampshire County Libraries...I guess someone must have donated it.)

Oh, I'm also reading Alex Ross's fascinating book The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century...but that's neither YA nor fiction.

Last edited:

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading the Ask and the Answer. After speeding through the Knife of Never Letting Go (often forgetting to breathe at times), I feel bad that I can't really get into the sequel.

Tan

Everything you can imagine is real.
Registered
Reaction score
Fallen by Lauren Kate.

Loved the beginning and middle.. I mean loved! To the point that I stayed up until 5 A.M. but wow. That ending. I'm not sure if I can even get through the last 20 pages....

GAH!

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Walter Dean Myers' LOCKDOWN.

Myers was the very first recipient of the Printz award and I'm loving this latest (as of early next year) of his. Such a refreshing change of pace after so many UF, Paranormal and the like.

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
Read "Plague of the Undead" by Gary Cross. Wasn't that good, but now I want to know what happens to the characters. Darn.

I also read "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater. Loved it. I think the character Sam really made the book work. If he hadn't been the way he was, I probably would've gotten bored.

I'm now reading "Hush, Hush" by Becca Fitzpatrick and "Moonstone" by Marilee Brothers. Jury's till out whether they're any good or not.

maenad36

mae zors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
between-these-hopes.tumblr.com
I'm reading "The Secret of Zoom" by Lynne Jonell. My aunt works for the Florida state library and recruited me to write reviews for her. I guess it's actually more like middle grade, but so far it's very good.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Just finished Sherryl Jordan's (New Zealand author) 'The Raging Quiet'
Disappointing - I think because I loved 'The Juniper Game' and 'Rocco' SO much as a teen, and 'The Sacred Sacrament' which I read last. PLus The Raging Quiet won a lot of awards - not sure why - if I'd ever read her before I wouldnt think all that much of her.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I also read "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater. Loved it. I think the character Sam really made the book work. If he hadn't been the way he was, I probably would've gotten bored.

I'm now reading "Hush, Hush" by Becca Fitzpatrick and "Moonstone" by Marilee Brothers. Jury's till out whether they're any good or not.

Recently read 'Hush, Hush.'
I'll confess, I did get sucked into it - the Patch and Nora tension, which I thought she did well. BUT, honestly, when I finished it, I thought it was pretty lousy. She kept building it up for some plot revelations or something, and they never came. I thought him suddenly being in love with her was too contrived, and there were plot holes everywhere. PLus the whole fallen angel thing, it was pretty... well, I wont get started. Sorry, I know heaps of people are loving it :)

However, pumped about reading Shiver. Have heard so much good feedback on it - on the reserve list at the library - any day now.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished The Hundred-Towered City by Garry Kilworth and found it a combination of blah and meh. It's a strangely dull and lifeless read, even though it had a lot of elements that should have made for a fascinating book - magic, spies and a gothic historical setting.

I'm currently reading an adult fantasy (Triumff by Dan Abnett) but will probably read Stolen by Lucy Christopher next.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.