Status
Not open for further replies.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I finished PRETTY GIRL-13 by Liz Coley. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I loved how Coley put a new and interesting spin on the kidnapped-teen-returns book, with the MC's Disassociative Identity Disorder (sp?) and amnesia. Additionally, the LI was lovely, and a real change from reading too many YAs where the MC is madly in love with the hot, muscly, jock.
However, the twists were totally obvious, which kind of annoyed me - I guessed (spoilers in white) snip (end spoilers) It wasn't so much foreshadowing as just dropping in these huge, obvious clues.
But I still really liked it, and would recommend it to fans of kidnap stories or dark contemporary YA.(Well, dark-ish, her lack of memory meant practically no angst or struggling with her issues, like in a normal kidnap book).

You sold me on it, LadyA - I checked it out of the library yesterday. :D

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
HOW TO LOVE by Katie Cotugno.

The writing is enviable, but the plot is ho-hum. Every time I think I should move on to something else, the writing pulls me back in...

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

The writing is enviable, but the plot is ho-hum. Every time I think I should move on to something else, the writing pulls me back in...

Ooops. I was thinking of another book. Ellaroni's post below (The Slurpee thing) made me remember that I actually checked this off my to-read list last year. I found the alternating timelines interesting, and I think that was really what drove me through the book.

I think my next read is going to be THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY.

Last edited:

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score

Agree. The plot was... strange, often unrealistic and awkward (the way he waltzed back into her/their lives - hello? That was an almost stop-reading-moment.)
I guess it was something in the writing, as you say.

Do I remember this correctly - there was always a Slurpee in his hand?

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Started SPEECHLESS by Hannah Harrington yesterday. I couldn't get into her debut, SAVING JUNE, but this one sounded less depressing and more my cup of tea. I'm liking it so far, more than I thought I would - it's not the sort of book where I can't stop thinking about it, but so far it's a nice, solid YA contemp.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fab book! I love dual narratives and this is up with Katie McGarry's books and Laura Jarratt's SKIN DEEP as one of my very favourite contemporaries of recent years. Such brilliant chemistry between the characters!

Yeah, I really REALLY loved "Graffiti Moon". Will look into the ones you've mentioned!

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
I gave up on THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX. It was just 'meh' and I couldn't get into it.

I recently re-read UNDER THE NEVER SKY & THROUGH THE EVERNIGHT in anticipation of INTO THE STILL BLUE and I loved them just as much this time around as I loved them the first time I read them! I adore Veronica Rossi's writing!

I just finished reading THE DARKEST MINDS by Alexandra Bracken. It was good enough to make me want to read the sequel, which I currently have waiting for me, but not good enough that I was texting my book reading BFF telling her about a new series that I needed her to read! LOL .. AB's writing was good, but for some reason, I never really felt emotionally attached to any of her characters.

Currently I am reading ALL OUR YESTERDAYS by Cristin Terrill and I am loving it! I've been feeling just slightly over dystopian lately, so I am loving the different feel of time travel!

I'm reading All Our Yesterdays. It's really good!

What did you end up thinking? I can't put it down!

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start reading Divergent. Finally.

I've been on a sci-fi kick since I finished Proxy, which I loved. I'm on the last of the non-YA-series Alex Verus book (I read the 4th one first... because I'm sometimes really not clever), and Divergent is on the top of my unread YA list. I've heard mixed, so hopefully it's great.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Fangirl and ended up liking the last half more than the first. Still not a convert to contemp, but I did enjoy the love story.

Now reading Deathless by Catherynne Valente, which is not YA, but would probably appeal to lots of you - a fairy tale retelling with a teen protagonist (at least at first). It is a sort of Soviet Pan's Labyrinth and I'm loving it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished STORMDANCER by AW's own Jay Kristoff. It's YA Japanese-style steampunk set in an alternate world. There's a lot of set-up (and the story takes a long time to get going), the prose trends to purple and the ending is rushed but I loved the imagination at work in the worldbuilding and will definitely read the next book.

Also finished TROUBLE by Non Pratt, which is a fresh take on teen pregnancy with some great dialogue and fully rounded characters. Particularly refreshing to have teenage girls who like sex without being judgemental about them.

I'm about to start ULTRAVIOLET by R J Anderson, which has been on my To Read Pile for a while.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Cat Clarke's Entangled and enjoyed it. I didn't see the ending coming, which takes the story into An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge territory (spoiler in white) - pretty dark. Given the talk in another thread on how UK publishers are tightening up on overly "mature" content in YA, this is a recent (2011) debut novel which is out and proud 14+.

Onto some adult books for a while, and after the end of next month I will be on BFS Award jury duty, but I will try to get some YA in there, especially when the Carnegie Medal shortlist is announced in March.

A Girl In A Dress

... wrote you a story.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished ALLEGIANT and... meh. I just shrugged at the ending. I guess it was still a ballsy way to end the series (and for that I give Roth SOME credit), but it had no emotional effect on me whatsoever.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to open Gavin Extence's THE UNIVERSE VERSUS ALEX WOODS - I'm 3/4 in and it's great. Like, brilliant great. Have marked off several chapters I'd like to use with my students in English. Will recommend to anyone, really - it's not just a YA this one.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I've been on a sci-fi kick since I finished Proxy, which I loved. I'm on the last of the non-YA-series Alex Verus book (I read the 4th one first... because I'm sometimes really not clever), and Divergent is on the top of my unread YA list. I've heard mixed, so hopefully it's great.

Well . . . it's nominally entertaining but it's not at all sci-fi.

Tris reads a bit sterile so making an attachment is difficult and it really waters down some of the greater action/high stress scenes. There are some major elements to the story that have me questioning their existence and relevance to the plot and all around I'm about meh on this one. It's bloody and gruesome at times which I like but the plot and world development are kind of thin.

I'm about to start ULTRAVIOLET by R J Anderson, which has been on my To Read Pile for a while.

This one was pretty great. The writing was phenomenal and really immerses you into Allison's POV. I hope you enjoy it!

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "My Most Excellent Year" by Steve Kluger. LOVED IT. Very original and with lots of humor, reminded me a bit of Jaclyn Moriarty (Australian YA writer with a unique voice).

Before this, I started in "Finding Delilah" by Sarah Ockler. Ugh, I couldn't even get halfway through, it was so self-absorbed. The descriptions where great, but endless, and distracted from the (unfortunately uninteresting) plot line.

Last edited:

EmilyBrooke

Queen of Gallifrey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm reading THE OUTSIDERS for the very first time. It's for my YALit class, but also one I've been meaning to read for a really long time.

Also reading THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER. I'm enjoying it for the most part. :)

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Wintergirls" by Laurie Halse Anderson.
It just blew me away.

I just finished reading "Wintergirls", too. :) It was so, so, SOOO good! Now I'm about to start her new one: "The Impossible Knife of Memory". LOVE Laurie Halse Anderson! I own all of her YA novels. :heart: Her writing style rocks.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading "Wintergirls", too. :) It was so, so, SOOO good! Now I'm about to start her new one: "The Impossible Knife of Memory". LOVE Laurie Halse Anderson! I own all of her YA novels. :heart: Her writing style rocks.

"Wintergirls" was my first Laurie Halse Anderson book. I'm so gonna read the rest!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
So, I took a slight detour and read PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ because I was told it was a travesty that I'd never read an A.S. King book. My friend was right. It was. Now, I really want to binge-read all her books.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I finished FANGIRL last night. Ahhhh. So good. There are so many parts of the book where I feel like Rainbow Rowell spied on me and wrote about my life.

Now I'm digging deep into my TBR pile and pulling out THE PROBABILITY OF MIRACLES by Wendy Wunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.