What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Agree on VERITY, it was great. As for BOOK THIEF, I barely completed it - for some reason I didn't like it. I do look forward to the film, though. Weird!

Yes, I would go and see the film too.
I think maybe because a big part of what bugged me was the style, which I found rather arch, but that won't be a problem on screen. I mean, the plotting was great, and I'd love to see some of the characters brought to life.

Whereas if they made a film of Codename Verity I'd probably hate it because chances are they'd cast at least one character wrong and it's the kind of book where you care about the characters so much they become part of you forever.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis. It was very good. A little hard to get into at first, due to lack of action and minimal characters, but I really like it a lot. McGinnis takes a very, very stark post-apocalyptic look at life and her character's have a lot going on inside. If you enjoy your books with dark realism and brutal honesty, give this one a try, but don't expect to feel all warm and fuzzy when it's done.

Working on THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Stiefvater right now. Pretty good so far.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
A Code Name Verity movie could be really awesome, but I'm sure they'd find SOME way to turn it into a romance (probably Maddie and Jamie, with "Verity" herself as some kind of manic pixie bringing them together).

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
A Code Name Verity movie could be really awesome, but I'm sure they'd find SOME way to turn it into a romance (probably Maddie and Jamie, with "Verity" herself as some kind of manic pixie bringing them together).

God, I think you may be right. Jamie is a sweetie, but no, no, I don't want them to do that spin (I was thankful the author didn't go down that road, because the opportunity was certainly there).

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
God, I think you may be right. Jamie is a sweetie, but no, no, I don't want them to do that spin (I was thankful the author didn't go down that road, because the opportunity was certainly there).

I'm pretty surprised that Wein didn't go that way, as it really seemed like seeds were planted. I could see them getting together eventually, down the road, after the war.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
GETTING OVER GARRETT DELANEY by Abby McDonald. I loved THE ANTI-PROM by her, and this was in the library (it's only just come out in the UK) so I gave it a go. I've read the bad reviews and Garrett is just as infuriating as they say, but it's a funny book and I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm also reading DAVID by Mary Hoffman, a historical YA set in 1500s Florence, from the POV of the gorgeous young stonecutter who poses for the famous Michaelangelo statue David, and in doing so becomes swept up in the politics (and sexual politics) of the city. It's all daggers and murder and gangs and illicit romances (and illegitimate children) and it's very good.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Started SEX & VIOLENCE by Carrie Mesrobian last night. The writing is really tight and the male MC's voice is realistic.

I'm also reading DAVID by Mary Hoffman, a historical YA set in 1500s Florence, from the POV of the gorgeous young stonecutter who poses for the famous Michaelangelo statue David, and in doing so becomes swept up in the politics (and sexual politics) of the city. It's all daggers and murder and gangs and illicit romances (and illegitimate children) and it's very good.

This sounds pretty amazing. Must track down a copy!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Started SEX & VIOLENCE by Carrie Mesrobian last night. The writing is really tight and the male MC's voice is realistic.

This sounds pretty amazing. Must track down a copy!

It was published 2011, so shouldn't be too hard to track down - although it's a UKYA book so you might have to ship it :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Completely independently of the positive feedback on this Thread (because I'm my own person, damnit!) I've started CODE-NAME VERITY by Elizabeth Wein. It's very early days and I'm not convinced by the voice yet (there are a number of anachronistic phrases and I'm not buying the confessional format at the moment) but I shall persevere as the set-up is interesting.

MM

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Give it time, Momento Mori. I wasn't hooked until around page 50 or so. Once I began to care about the characters and their friendship, I couldn't put it down. I haven't read Rose Under Fire yet, but it's on my list.

Currently reading The Final Descent (The Monstrumologist #4) by Rick Yancey. I adore this series and am sad that it's the last one :(

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE BUTTERFLY €LUES. I was just frustrated by the end; the writing was lovely, but the protagonist was too passive and seemed to be in a fugue state much of the time. Two boys are madly in love with her despite her erratic behavior, which doesn't ring true to me. Plus, lots of convenient coincidences.

Now I'm reading ROTTERS by Daniel Kraus. Wow, this one is intense. I can easily see it being published as lit fic ten years ago; it doesn't have a "YA voice" at all, despite the MC being sixteen. It's got a Dickensian feel despite being set in the present, and I'm guessing things are just going to get creepier.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Completely independently of the positive feedback on this Thread (because I'm my own person, damnit!) I've started CODE-NAME VERITY by Elizabeth Wein. It's very early days and I'm not convinced by the voice yet (there are a number of anachronistic phrases and I'm not buying the confessional format at the moment) but I shall persevere as the set-up is interesting.

MM

Maybe you're not meant to be entirely convinced <mysterious>....

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I've finished ALL FALL DOWN by Sally Nicholls and THE VANISHING OF KATHERINA LINDEN by Helen Grant.

Both great.
The Sally Nicholls was historical - medieval England during the Black Death - and there were one or two really memorable scenes. There was a bit where a group of teenagers are drinking ale in the woods and doing a bit of snogging and I just thought 'Yes - THIS is what medieval teenagers did!'

The Helen Grant was interesting for two reasons: one, rather more sophisticated language than you'd expect for YA, with lots of German thrown in, and two, the main characters aren't teens, they're 10. And the book is still in Waterstones 4 years after it was published so it must be selling.
Just goes to show that excellent writing and an appealing concept can be more important than rules about what teens will read....

pagesinstages

Registered
Reaction score
RIGHT NOW I'm reading "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. It's quirky, unique and so far very thoughtful. I'm not usually a big fan of contemporary YA but I'm enjoying this.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed ELEANOR & PARK... but not as a romance. I thought their relationship was pretty screwed up and obviously not built to last. I liked it more as a "how secrets keep people from really connecting" kind of book, and a "kids are dumb when they're in love" kind of book. But I did really like it. It was definitely unique.

MM, I didn't like CODE NAME VERITY until my second attempt at reading it, and on the first attempt, I got stuck at page 18. Stick with it and I think you'll end up liking it!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading STE$LHEART, and it's really interesting, a twisted superhero dystopia with its own lore and lots of hot action. It doesn't read like YA, though, at least to me. It's hard to say what creates a "young adult voice", especially if the plot involves no typical teen circumstances (like school), but here I can't shake the impression that MC is in his twenties and his love interest is a mature woman. The whole story has a noir flavor which heightens the impression.

Also, 3:59 is amazing. Creepy, mysterious, with a bit of Sci-Fi and a sense of imminent danger. It also manages to be sassy without losing the creepsauce which is no small feat.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
RIGHT NOW I'm reading "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. It's quirky, unique and so far very thoughtful. I'm not usually a big fan of contemporary YA but I'm enjoying this.

Just finished FANGIRL myself, I really adored it.

I just started Seraphina; it seems good so far (I'm on Chapter 2.)

SERAPHINA is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.