What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading THE BONE SEASON .. Not really loving it, but I will give it some more time :)

I'm currently reading The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. I wasn't a fan of the first few books, but the series overall isn't too bad. There are some questionable themes within it (which will all become clear if you read it), but the plot isn't too bad.

IMO, the fourth and fifth book (and hopefully the sixth book!) are much better than the first thru third books. I can't wait until the sixth book comes out to find out how it all ends! But, I enjoyed Cassandra Clare's INFERNAL DEVICES trilogy much more than her MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series .. as a whole :)

I could NOT get into Eleanor & Park. I think I am the only person in the universe.

Nope, I gave up on Eleanor and Park too. Just wasn't for me! lol

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Finished TRINKETS by Kirsten Smith. I'm ashamed to say a quote from Tavi Gevinson made me pick this one up. I was curious to what kind of YA novel she'd throw her support behind. Nothing wholly original (every storyline went exactly how you'd expect), but kind of enjoyable and cute. I thought the three POVs were handled well.

I'm rereading MY LIFE NEXT DOOR by Huntley Fitzpatrick for the fourth or fifth time. Well, that's not true. I'm rereading it straight through for the second. A few of those times I picked out chunks to reread. *Trying* to analyze it, but then I get sucked into the story and forget all about my purpose.

Nope, I gave up on Eleanor and Park too. Just wasn't for me! lol

That makes three of us. I wanted to like it, but I thought it was lacking something and I was reading too many books to slog through it.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm rereading MY LIFE NEXT DOOR by Huntley Fitzpatrick for the fourth or fifth time. Well, that's not true. I'm rereading it straight through for the second. A few of those times I picked out chunks to reread. *Trying* to analyze it, but then I get sucked into the story and forget all about my purpose.

That makes three of us. I wanted to like it, but I thought it was lacking something and I was reading too many books to slog through it.

That's funny, because that's kind of how I felt about MY LIFE NEXT DOOR :p it was okay, it had all the components of a great YA contemporary romance, but it was missing something for me. Maybe if Sarah Dessen had written it I would have liked it better, haha.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
That's funny, because that's kind of how I felt about MY LIFE NEXT DOOR :p it was okay, it had all the components of a great YA contemporary romance, but it was missing something for me. Maybe if Sarah Dessen had written it I would have liked it better, haha.

Ha, yeah. It definitely has some weak spots (some I'm noticing more on my second read). Interestingly (or maybe not!) both MLND and E&P are highly rated on GR. And yes, Sarah Dessen is a master storyteller! Which reminds me, I should read her new one.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Finished FEED by M.T.Anderson.

Extremely witty, extremely well-written, amazing voice. The only think I didn't like was the way it [spoiler:] basically turns into sick-lit in the last section. Having started off unpredictably it meant I knew pretty much where it was going.

Now I'm going to read MY SWORDHAND IS SINGING by Marcus Sedgwick.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE BITTER KINGDOM last night. It's good, yes, definitely. But there's something amiss, and I don't quite know what it is. Yet, anyway. Perhaps it's just me being disappointed at the series reaching its conclusion?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE BITTER KINGDOM last night. It's good, yes, definitely. But there's something amiss, and I don't quite know what it is. Yet, anyway. Perhaps it's just me being disappointed at the series reaching its conclusion?

It might be all those bigger world building threads the author left loose in the end. I hope hope hope she did that because she plans on going back and writing other books in that world. (Or left a mighty huge gift to fan ficcers.)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo and ended up quite disappointed with it. I think she spent so much time setting up the world and Alina's reaction to her situation that she failed to spend much time establishing the relationships with the other characters so when the revelations came in the final third (including one massive reveal that seemed to come out of left field and really hadn't been signposted enough) I was left feeling a bit cheated. I do love the worldbuilding though and the ending was enough to make me want to carry on and read the next one so I'll dive straight into SIEGE AND STORM next.

MM

leela_e

Registered
Reaction score
I like to read "THE INDIGO SPELL" by Richelle Mead

MLynn

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Right before that I read the two books in the Partials series by Dan Wells (I really enjoyed these books)

Now I am reading Mila 2.0 by Debra Dizra. I don't really have an opinion on it yet but I'm having a hard time getting through the book.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading THE BONE SEASON. I love the world, but I'm starting to get a suspicion there will be no answers to any of the plot-related questions in the first book despite the fact that everything is getting more and more complicated.

I also picked up ALL OUR YESTERDAYS. Such an unusual beginning, putting us right into the middle of the story instead of its opening.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished TH3 PR0GR@M and even though it was nothing like Twilight and the writing was way better, it was kind of a similar reading experience. I had a lot of issues with the book but I just COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. The characters felt underdeveloped but the plot mostly made up for it. Interested to hear what others thought.

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
I put down THE BONE SEASON, just wasn't really into it - I might pick it up at a later date.

Started ENCLAVE and I am loving it!

Ashley N.

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished CROWN OF MIDNIGHT.

It's pretty great. Rarely have I been as invested in a romance as I am in the main one here, and the MC really grew on me from the last book to this one. I liked the first book, loved this one, and eagerly look forward to the next in this series. (And I have to stop reading books right when they come out, so I won't have to wait so long for the next one! Backlog reading is the way to go.)

TaintedBoo

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the 5th Wave, and I really hope there is going to be a sequel, because it felt unfinished to me.

I just picked up Dorothy's book, My Sister's Reaper, so that is next on my YA reading list.

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
Finished ENCLAVE and I loved it!

Starting the sequel, OUTPOST - Can't wait! :)

(And I have to stop reading books right when they come out, so I won't have to wait so long for the next one! Backlog reading is the way to go.)

I agree! Nothing is better than stumbling upon a book that has been out for a couple of years, finding out that it is the first in a trilogy (or series) and then realizing that the last book comes out in less than 2 months! LOL :)

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Finished MY SWORDHAND IS SINGING.

It was pretty good. Can't think of anything more intelligent to say, really. I think maybe it felt more exciting when it first came out in 2007 than it does now there are vampires all over the place, but I did like how close his story kept to early vampire myths. His use of folktale elements like scattering millet and tying wool to the vampire so you can see which grave it came from is excellent.

Now I'm going to finish THERE IS NO DOG which is the only Meg Rosoff book ever not to grab me - I started it last year....

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. I love it so far, but I haven't been able to read very much of it because I have to read for school (The Awakening by Kate Chopin).

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I finished This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers, and now I'm reading Break by Hannah Moskowitz.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over half way through SIEGE AND STORM by Leigh Bardugo and although I do like the Russian inspired world, Alina is boring me. I love the idea of evil being romantically seductive but it's spoilt here by the fact that Alina is such a gutless numpty and the Darkling such a cartoon villain. I'm not going to be in a hurry for the last book in this trilogy.

Next up is THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN by Holly Black, which I've heard mixed things about. I love her writing but not her plots so I don't have high expectations.

MM

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished TARNISH by Katherine Longshore -- loved it. I thought it dragged in some places, but it redeemed itself in the awesome character relationships and the super creepy undertones to a happy ending. It was a HEA... but if you know what ended up happening to Anne Boleyn... well, sadface.

I'm now a third of the way into WANT TO GO PRIVATE? by Sarah Darer Littman. I haven't heard many good things about it, but it's pretty closely related to a novel of mine, in premise. I've wanted to read it for a while. So far it's okay. I thought the beginning was boring as hell but it's picked up.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just finished TWO BOYS KISSING by David Levithan. Such a powerful read! You will need tissues. I just wish the bigots could read it.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Break in two reading sessions.I enjoyed the entire book up until the end, which seemed rushed. I didn't hate it, but I would have liked to see it wrapped up better. Jonah and Jesse were such interesting and complex characters that it fell flat that everything could be fixed in an instant.

Now I'm out of books for a few days. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.