Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
WTF is the appeal of books like The Clique and Gossip Girl? I'm about 140 pages into Alphas and I want to slit my wrists. I swear my IQ has dropped substantially. I just don't get it. Anyone? Anyone?

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
WTF is the appeal of books like The Clique and Gossip Girl? I'm about 140 pages into Alphas and I want to slit my wrists. I swear my IQ has dropped substantially. I just don't get it. Anyone? Anyone?
Hahahaha!!! I felt the same way when I read the first Gossip Girl book. NEVER AGAIN!

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
Hahahaha!!! I felt the same way when I read the first Gossip Girl book. NEVER AGAIN!

I think books like that are meant to melt your brain and assimilate you so you can become one of the tweens who think those series are "lyke soooo reel and deeppp!!!111onetwo!"

I'm getting started on Angel of Death, the sequel to The Christopher Killer. Good books, but really not popular. It's weird since, even though the subject matter is graphic, it's not as bad as some books I've read.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby (who lives in NZ to continue the NZ theme!).

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
"Hunted" the fifth book in The House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast.

Dying for the release in August of the fourth Vampire Academy book "Blood Promise" by Richelle Mead

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I'm about halfway through, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. A cool story, but weakly and choppily written. AGAIN. This keeps happening with the books I pick up...*sigh*

Leila

bookshop girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theleilasoliloquy.blogspot.com
*worries about the tweens who think Gossip Girl is 'so deep and real'*

Oh dear.

On a nicer note, I'm just about to start Sarah Dessen's new book. I'm kind of addicted to her. Yes, it's predictable stuff, but there's something really comforting about it. It's like she has the recipe for YA girly romance down perfect, but with just the right amount of 'real'-ness so that I don't get annoyed. I have a bunch of her books around the house the same way I sometimes keep a supply of chocolate for when I'm depressed and in need of it. It's not life changing, but it's good. If that makes any sense :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my mitts on a copy of The Forest of Hands And Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Am several chapters in and the narrative voice is wonderful and the writing very tight and evocative.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Oh. My. Gods. and Little Brother. OMG made better elliptical reading, although I have to say I'm finding myself disappointed by the sudden wrap-up the book seems to have.

I understand what people like about LB, but it's not as awesome as I hoped it would be. I think the fact that he has to explain so much slows down the book too much.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Just read Sharing Sam, it was touching.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Oh, I loved Cracked Up To Be. Fantastic book.

I'm reading an ARC of Rachel Vincent's new YA, My Soul To Take. It is awesome. I've barely been able to tear myself away from it in order to get some work done. I can't wait until this comes out and there are other people to talk about it with. Great book. :)

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the House of Night series, just for the heck of finishing what I started. I can tell the authors just went to crap with their deadlines. The authors have the MC relate too many times what happened in previous books, and it makes me feel dumb, especially since they're shelling out two of these books a year. They don't need to have her repeat what happened if the books are coming out this fast. It's aggravating. And the typos. Don't get me started. And the MC just fell into the OOC trap, and I hate her now.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading Ninth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer. Besides the random awkward phrasing it is a fun and light read.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, which I enjoyed although it's pretty much a chase story with some inner character development for the narrator (which was interesting and well-handled). It's also v. bleak and has a lot of character death in it - so if you can't handle characters you like being whacked, stay away from it (although personally, the character whackings were my favourite part).

Am now reading The Medusa Project by Sophie McKenzie. So far, I'm a bit meh about it because there's nothing terribly new in it. To be honest, it's the second book of hers that I've read and although younger teens are big fans, I find her writing a bit too emotionally shallow - the pacing is fine and the action scenes well-handled but I just can't quite believe in the characters.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Creature of the Night by Kate Thompson. Strange book. The narrator is a fourteen-year-old boy into car thieving, who moves into the Irish countryside with his feckless mother and four-year-old brother. Involves a murder mystery with possible supernatural implications. Enjoyed it, but didn't think it quite came off. A 14+ YA for profanity and depiction of petty crime.

Continuing on the Carnegie Medal shortlist, I'm a third of the way through Ostrich Boys by Keith Gray and enjoying it quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.