What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Keirsten White's Endlessly this morning, and while I enjoy the voice and all the characters as much as ever, I'm a little confused about exactly what happened in the end. Specifically, SPOILER: Did Lend die or what? Is that what Vivian did? I don't think so, but I'm confused.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Finished GIRL OF NIGHTMARES and although I probably liked ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD more, this one was a fun read and I liked the ending.

Now picking up REVOLUTION by Jennifer Donnelly before I forget about it again.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE SACRIFICE by Charlie Higson and I'm not sure what I think of it. It's somewhere between okay and I liked it. What's good is that it finally moves the story on - there's more information on why adults turn into sickos, Matt makes a reappearance and there's a great sense of the London kids coming together and moving forward (although this is mostly set up). The problems are that The Kidd and Wormwood are prominent characters and they have a peculiar dialogue style that I found alienating rather than fun and although there's a lot of action it feels really samey after a while and I found it rather scattergun.

I will definitely read the next book in the series but it just wasn't as tight as the previous books in this series.

I'm going to read the latest Skulduggery Pleasant book next - SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT: KINGDOM OF THE WICKED by Derek Landy as I really enjoy this series.

MM

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Live Through This by Mindi Scott. I picked this up because of the title (love the Hole reference) without knowing much about it as the description is pretty vague too. I was a bit disappointed when I started reading it when I found out what it's about (poss spoiler: sexual abuse) but I got drawn in and thought it was really well done and a different take on it.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Isn't that what the Hole song that the lyric that the album title is based on is about...Was she asking for it, did she ask you nice, was she asking for it...did she ask you twice...Live through this with me and I swear I will die for you...doo dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo doooo dooo (begin heavy guitars) It doesn't really say dooo doo dooo those are the less heavy guitars in my head.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that what the Hole song that the lyric that the album title is based on is about...Was she asking for it, did she ask you nice, was she asking for it...did she ask you twice...Live through this with me and I swear I will die for you...doo dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo doooo dooo (begin heavy guitars) It doesn't really say dooo doo dooo those are the less heavy guitars in my head.

Yes! (I totally got what the doo doos were. Now that song is in my head!) I should have guessed what the book was about based on that, but didn't think it would be such a close reference - I thought it was more of a nod to it and a cool title!

Last edited:

bufferpad

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished reading The Scorch Trials. which means that not my shopping cart of books now include but are not limited to
The death cure
The mark of Athena
and
The crimson Crown
I really need to go hit up the book store soon jsut need to get the money together

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Answer to Rhoda Nightingale's spoiler question: No, he didn't. I don't remember exactly, as I didn't find it all that memorable, but as I recall, Vivian used his energy or whatever to open the door, but it didn't kill him.

I'm trying to get through the last Chaos Walking book. I was totally in love with the first one. I thought it was crazy good. The second one was ... brutal. Just in terms of the harsh realities of war, etc. I had to take a break and read a few other books before embarking on the last one. Now I'm about 60% through it and I just feel like it's dragging. I'll finish, but I kind of want it to be done now.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Hush, Hush the other day. Was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading The Ghost and the Goth. (among other things)

bufferpad

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading City of Ashes by Cassie Clare. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the first one because it feels like Clare has settled into the story.

I loved that series by Cassie Clare was areally good and all four books were good sized too. im having problems getting into the new series she made that branches off or well branches befor that series i finished the clockwork angel a while ago and it wasnt that bad. Me being a guy i tihnk the romance is laid on pritty thick in the books but she works it well.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I'm reading Hidden by P.C and Kristen Cast.

I forgot I much I enjoyed her writing style. It's simple but clever and funny too. The storyline is as over the top as always but that's part of the fun.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
The Game of Sunken Places by M.T. Anderson.

I like the way he writes although his prose can get a little tiresome half-way through the book. I find it interesting and a page turner. The character are fun and humorous. I'd recommend it. :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^No, you're not. I haven't read it yet either. However, I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction, so it's not quite as high on my list as a number of other things.

Last book read: Darkwater by Catherine Fisher. Finally, a dark, gothic tale without any gorram romance, THANK YOU JESUS!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Quite possibly the last person on earth to start reading THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

I'm with Rhoda. Haven't read it yet either, but may be planning to. :)

Also really enjoying Jennifer Donnelly's REVOLUTION and I'm not even much of a Paris fan, but I'm pretty much just loving the atmosphere. 80 pages to go still so I shall withhold my final verdict until then, but I'm pretty sure this one is going to find a spot on my "recommend to all the people" list. :)

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Currently reading 'Code Name Verity' (up to about pg 50).

Be honest (but no spoilers!) - am I likely to be reduced to tears at some point (or points)? I read during my lunch break at work and I'd rather not look like a snivelling idiot in front of a load of people, lol. (I'm just trying to think of a book I've cried at, to give you some basis for comparison, but my mind's gone blank. I'll say it's fairly likely I will cry if that's the author's intention for the reader though, lol.)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading 'Code Name Verity' (up to about pg 50).

Be honest (but no spoilers!) - am I likely to be reduced to tears at some point (or points)? I read during my lunch break at work and I'd rather not look like a snivelling idiot in front of a load of people, lol. (I'm just trying to think of a book I've cried at, to give you some basis for comparison, but my mind's gone blank. I'll say it's fairly likely I will cry if that's the author's intention for the reader though, lol.)

Without spoilers... I don't think I cried, but I could completely understand why someone else would have. That probably helps not at all ;)

bufferpad

Registered
Reaction score
just started reading
The sight by David Clement-Davies
its rather godo so far

Status
Not open for further replies.