What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
LadyA, did you say somewhere else you read TARGET? I thought about ordering it...what did you think?

Yeah, I've read TARGET. Definitely order it, because it's brilliant. The author is so good at writing from the POV of an intensely traumatised boy, and the emotions and stuff are so realistic. It's one of those books that you think about for days, like THE LOVELY BONES.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a quarter of the way through SLATED by Terri Terry and I like the set-up and the main character's interesting. I've got a small gripe about how none of the characters seem to like using contractions (mainly because it makes all the dialogue seem artificial) but it's shaping up well.

MM

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Finished "Slayed" by Amanda Marrone today. I'm not usually one for vampire novels, but I picked it up with a bunch of YA books from the library. I wanted to do some research on contemporary fantasy. Highly recommended-- it's kind of Buffy meets the TV show Supernatural.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Finally pulling The Book Thief out of my TBR pile and kicking myself for waiting so long. It's slowly restoring my faith in YA.

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
Reading City of Ashes. So far, I'm enjoying it. Before that was Divergent and it was SO good! Can't wait to get Insurgent!

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
Finished CRANK and have now moved on to Laura Wiess's HOW IT ENDS. All I've read so far is the opening and already I feel like I've been punched in the gut.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Tessa Masterson Will Go To Prom. Loved it! It's loosely based on that girl whose school canceled prom so she wouldnt come with her girlfriend, then held a secret prom without her. One thing i liked was that it focused on the heroine and her friends and her family and how they all felt about things. Also have to say its refreshing to read about a lesbian and her guy BFF--it seems like most lgbt lit focuses on the gay boy and his best gal pal. Very sweet book, without a perfect happy ending, but nice enough to make me cry.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished SLATED by Teri Terry, which I enjoyed. It's a character-based YA dystopia rather than a plot-based one, which means that it's got quite a slow pace with the story revolving around the MC discovering who she is and working out that there's something wrong with the society's she's in. My main problem with it is that the ending feels a bit rushed and the fragmented sentences and lack of contractions in dialogue pulled me out of the story.

I've just started BLACK ARTS by Andrew Prentice and Jonathan Weil, which is a historical fantasy about a teenage thief in Elizabethan England who picks the wrong pocket and finds himself able to see demons and pursued by Puritans with an agenda of their own. Elizabethan London is well depicted and I like the patois used by some of the characters so have high hopes for it.

MM

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast which is...meh. I liked Beastly better.

However, I also just started Lola and the Boy Next Door and I LOVE IT! The author of this and Anna and the French Kiss rocks! She definatly knows how to grab your attention and never let go.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a collection of YA stories set in the Victorian period called Wilful Impropriety. I don't usually read short story collections but it kind of suits me at the moment because I'm having trouble concentrating. I'm on the 4th or 5th story and they've all been really good so far.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
However, I also just started Lola and the Boy Next Door and I LOVE IT! The author of this and Anna and the French Kiss rocks! She definatly knows how to grab your attention and never let go.

Stephanie Perkins is a goddess. I CANNOT wait for Isla. So far away still :(

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to be a long post. I've had to split in into two because of its length.

This is the fourth year that I've read my way through the Carnegie Medal shortlist, which every year except 2011 comprised eight novels. When the shortlist was announced, the judges pointed out that the list leaned more towards MG and younger YA than in past years - in the judges' opinion nothing on the list had a reading age over twelve, as opposed to the 14+ titles which have appeared on the list in recent years. Last year I completed reading the list (which was six novels) on the day of the prizegiving. This year, I completed them four days early. With the emphasis on younger readers this year, the novels have been shorter. All but one are in the 35k-55k word range, with the longest (by Ruta Sepetys) 70-75k by my estimate. I enjoyed all eight novels, which is an advance on past years when one or two on the list left me indifferent. I'll talk about each novel in the order I read them.

I'd read one novel before the list was announced: Patrick Ness's A Monster Calls, based on an idea by the late Siobhan Dowd. A very moving story, it has to be a favourite to win. The only drawback I see is that Ness and indeed Dowd are past and very recent winners. Ness may be one of the finest writers of YA and MG (this novel is the latter) in the UK right now, but there are others just as fine, and winning two Carnegies so early in his career may be overstating the case.

Recommended for eight and above, Lissa Evans's Small Change for Stuart probably skews the youngest of any novel on the lists over the last four years. And once it got over an unfortunate start which did seem to be talking down to the reader, it becomes an enjoyable story where young Stuart solves a mystery relating to his family. Some of the characters are better described as caricatures, in particular Stuart's Dad, with his thesaurus vocabulary.

My Name is Mina by David Almond has an odd genre classification - it's a prequel to a fantasy novel (Almond's first novel Skellig, now enshrined as a modern classic) but is not itself a fantasy. It also has very little in terms of plot. What it has is the world according to Mina, the protag of Skellig's young friend, before she meets him. An only child, Mina is a rebel at school. After trying out a different, special school, Mina's mother decides to homeschool her. Meanwhile, the old man up the road dies and a young family with another on the way moves in - readers of Skellig will guess what's happening here. Ultimately this novel is just us spending time with Mina, and it's a pleasure to do so, if very slight. The design of the novel is worth noting, mainly set in a script font, with several others used as well, to make the book look like a scrapbook/diary.

The Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett, deals with two young boys, fleeing with their baby sister across a wartorn country - presumably somewhere in Central Europe, though Hartnett fills in details later. Much of the novel is the boys' stay in the zoo of the title, where the animals talk. An anti-war fable, this is written in a literary style which was a bit overpowering to start - but once you get used to it, this is the one on the list most alive to the uses of language.

(continued)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
(continued)

Andy Mulligan's Trash was the first YA on the list. It's set in a foreign city (inspired by but not identified as Manila) where corruption and poverty are rife and slum dwellers scrabble through rubbish heaps - and three boys find something they shouldn't. A twisty turny story is told in the first person with multiple narrators, changing with the chapters, some of the voices those of adults.

Ali Lewis's Everybody Jam sounds like the title of a dance track, but the meaning is more prosaic. (It's set in the Australian outback, inspired by Lewis's experiences helping out on a cattle farm, and the title is what the local Aboriginals call apricot jam because everybody likes it.) It's narrated by thirteen year old Danny, who has to deal with the death of his brother the year before, the annual cattle muster and the fact that his fourteen year old sister is pregnant by a father she refuses to disclose. Add to the mix a hapless young English girl, hired to help out... This has a lot going for it in terms of voice (lots of Aussieisms) and a strong sense of place, but it tends to fall apart into a series of episodes rather than a unified narrative. It also seems oddly distanced: the presumably autobiographical character of the English girl is referred to more often as "The Pommie" rather than her name (Liz) and much of what she says is in reported speech rather than direct speech. N.B. This novel is 12+ according to the judges but it does push at the limits of that age rating. It has a "Not suitable for younger readers" warning on the back, due to one "fuck" (the only one on the entire shortlist), sexual references and such episodes as a ball fight using the testicles from castrated bulls.

Annabel Pitcher's My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece also deals with grief. Five years ago, Jamie's older sister Rose died, blown up by an Islamic terrorist bomb (heavy stuff for older MG). Now Jamie is ten and his older sister Jasmine, Rose's twin, is fifteen. Their mother has left and they live with their father, who has sunk into alcoholism and racist loathing of Muslims, who he considers all terrorists. At a new school, Jamie becomes friends with another outsider, a girl - Sunya, the only Muslim in the school. This is a funny, moving, well-observed novel let down by a rather glib way of resolving its issues. That said, it's a good alternative bet for the Medal. Pitcher uses the rather odd device of leaving out quotes for dialogue, rendering speech in italics instead. The edition I read had a bonus short story called "Jasmine", a short piece from the viewpoint of that character.

Finally, Ruta Sepetys's Between Shades of Gray deals with war, and specifically the deportations of Lithuanians to gulags in Siberia during World War II. The novel describes the long journey and the frequent hardships fifteen-year-old Lina, an aspiring artist, and her mother and brother face as they struggle to survive the hard work of a labour camp, the lack of food, the constant fear of reprisal from the Soviet troops and finally the harsh Siberian Arctic winter, all vividly described (much of it from accounts of some of Sepetys's relatives) and frequently harrowing. This has to be a good each ways bet.

Having read the list, I would say that the strongest contenders have to be Ness, Pitcher and Sepetys. But while I have reservations about some of the books on the list, I did enjoy all of them. Let's see if I'm right. The Medal is awarded on this coming Thursday, 14 June.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Finally pulling The Book Thief out of my TBR pile and kicking myself for waiting so long. It's slowly restoring my faith in YA.

Ooh, if it can do that, I need to read. People do keep telling me to.

Just finished Tessa Masterson Will Go To Prom.....

Oh okay, I need to add this, it sounds I dunno, oddly adorable.

This is going to be a long post. I've had to split in into two because of its length....

Thanks for doing this - can already see a couple of titles I want to add to my TBR pile.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished What'$ Left 0f Me (ARC - which I reviewed here). It was a dystopian/alt history. Similar to The Golden Compass, I felt.

I'm currently reading P0$$e$$i0n by Elana Johnson. I'm liking it so far but I think it is moving too quickly for me. I felt like I didn't get a grasp on the world and then the action happened. Still going to keep reading though. :) I like the voice a lot.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, I LOVED the Book Thief! Some countries, I believe, listed it as adult...don't quote me on that, though.

I am currently ALMOST FINISHED WHAT A BOY NEEDS by Nyrae Dawn. I am LOVING it! She had WHAT A BOY WANTS in April...and just released this one a day or so ago. I'm 85% done and will be finishing this afternoon. LOVE HER! She's self-published, too. Heard of her on Twitter.

I actually like her books so much, I requested an interview. You can read it HERE. Her books are YA contemporary/romance.

Also...finished Velveteen by Daniel Marks. LOVED it also!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Almost finished BLACK ARTS by Andrew Prentice and Jonathan Weil and it's not working for me. The story itself (a historical fantasy set in Elizabethan England) is a perfectly fine action adventure involving a young thief who picks the wrong pocket and ends up able to see demons. The problem is that the authors have done so much to pack in historical detail, including the language that I've found it alienating and for a book that I thought was MG, there's an awful lot of sexual innuendo and content - from the use of a whore house to the use of Elizabethan slang expressions for genitalia. It's left me a bit uncomfortable TBH (and I'm not squeamish about sex in books). I'd check out another book of theirs as there were things I liked but this didn't do it for me.

Not sure what I want to read next. I've still got that bloody YA steampunk anthology staring at me from my shelves but I can't bring myself to pick it up.

MM

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on a YA kick lately! Here's some I've read within the past couple months:

Finished Insurgent by Veronica Roth (big fan of the series. I'm addicted to dystopian and this one devliers on all fronts - action, romance, intrigue, moral dilemmas, you get it)

Also read Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts (action-packed from page one - very grim, gory and intense, but I could not put it down!)

And Fracture by Megan Miranda (a bit slower than the previous mentioned books, it's less action and more about how the heroine copes with her circumstances - but intriguing nonetheless)

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (the author is great at world-building, very original dystopian - however the second and third books in the series were a letdown, IMO)

Blood Red Road by Moira Young (Loved the premise and the story - it's tough to get past the voice the author uses, particularly the fact that she doesn't use quotation marks to designate dialogue, and the extreme use of dialect throughout - if you can get past that, there's a great story here :D )

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
I need to finish the Book Thief. I started years ago, put it down for some reason or another (college will do that to you) and never picked it back up. I think I still have my copy, thankfully.

I've read a bunch of contemporary lately, which isn't usually my style, but I'm writing a contemp so I'm reading contemp.

In the last 3 days I've read
  1. The Lonely Hearts Club -- LOVED it. Surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.
  2. The Boyfriend List -- good but not great
  3. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks -- lived up to the hype, it is hands down one of my favorite YAs
  4. Luna -- one of the only YAs I've seen to deal with transgendered individuals and I really appreciated the POV choice
  5. Scars (by Cheryl Rainfield) -- uncomfortable but very good

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
/\ A lot of people keep telling me to read the Book Thief. It's on my "to read" list but I just haven't gotten around to it. I don't even know what it's about yet though LOL.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Oh God, everyone who hasn't read The Book Thief really really needs to. Not just because it's a great YA book -- it's a great book. Deserves to be shelved with some of the greatest classics, IMO.

I've heard there's a movie in production.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
The Book Thief is incredible. My mom loved it and she really doesn't read YA. It is just fantastically written. HIGHLY rec'd if you haven't read it already. And if you have, well then just reread it :D

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the new(ish) CHERUB book by Robert Muchamore (British kid spys, a LOT more believable and better than Alex Rider). It's called PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC, and except for the fact that the POV is a twelve year old boy and an eleven year old girl (necessary so he can write loads of sequels), it's really good so far. Bit grim though.

I gave up on WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON.

Status
Not open for further replies.