What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think each one got better, but I loved them all. The last one, City of Glass was awesome.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
City of Bones is one of my favorite books, but some people totally disagree. You either love it or think it's lame. Personally, I think Cassandra Clare has developed an amazing mythology in those books, and they're worth reading just for that.

Yeah, I've heard some people say it's crap and others say they love it. I usually don't get swayed by the "crap" votes, so I can decide for myself. LOL

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Zipotes:
OMG, that is one of the best series ever! I don't know anyone that doesn't love it.
City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass (Mortal Instruments Trilogy).

Well, you won't be able to say that anymore ... ;)

Sorry, but I didn't love it.

Red.Ink.Rain:
City of Bones is one of my favorite books, but some people totally disagree. You either love it or think it's lame. Personally, I think Cassandra Clare has developed an amazing mythology in those books, and they're worth reading just for that.

Yeah, I think it is a series that tends to polarise people.

Personally, I thought it was okay - it gets better as you go along, but the first book was really derivative IMHO - you could see where all of the influences were and there wasn't enough in there for me to believe that she was making it her own. Saying that, there were some great individual scenes (my favourite was the one in the vampire hotel) but there was also a truly awful info dump towards the end which stylistically, just didn't work for me at all.

I am interested to see what she does with the Victorian prequel that she's currently working on because it sounds like she's weaving together some really interesting elements.

MM

paranormalchick

Book Worm & YA writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
youngadultbookworm.blogspot.com
Oh, I just finished reading City of Bones! It is sooooo cool! :D I want to read the next one, but someone else had it on hold at the library, so I have to wait until it gets back. Sigh. That is going to take forever.

But I do know of a good vampire series. The Blood series. First book is called Blood Price, by Tanya Huff. Pretty good.
umm, never heard of that one...will have to check it out

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
The movie did it for me. I was in shock.

I'm a crier at movies but usually it's just some tears. The movie had my sobbing. I mean like whole body wracking sobs. It was horrible. My mom watched it and she was like, yeah? Me, the person whose ovaries shrivel at the mention of children, was more touched than she was. I'm waiting for the break down at work.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Has anyone read CITY OF BONES? I'm going to start that series next.

OMG, that is one of the best series ever! I don't know anyone that doesn't love it.
City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass (Mortal Instruments Trilogy).

I am one of those people. I think it was decent but my inner editor REALLY reared her snarling head in that one. The descriptions that just wouldn't die and the smiles of WTF?-ness really did it for me. The story was decent but I felt the writing was on the weak side. A good place to start improvement would have been destroying 90% of the descriptions. The ending was very o_O and I just kind of went , really? At a certain point I saw it coming and I started having star Wars flashes. And I've never even seen the movies.

I wasn't compelled to keep reading.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a crier at movies but usually it's just some tears. The movie had my sobbing. I mean like whole body wracking sobs. It was horrible. My mom watched it and she was like, yeah? Me, the person whose ovaries shrivel at the mention of children, was more touched than she was. I'm waiting for the break down at work.

Me, my sister and one of my friends sat down to watch the movie and we were joking around during the beginning, trying to guess different endings. NONE of the endings we guessed (and there were a lot) were what actually happened. I think I was depressed for a couple of days after that. I wondered if the book had the same ending.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Me, my sister and one of my friends sat down to watch the movie and we were joking around during the beginning, trying to guess different endings. NONE of the endings we guessed (and there were a lot) were what actually happened. I think I was depressed for a couple of days after that. I wondered if the book had the same ending.

It did but it was very passive about it. Had I not seen the movie, I'm not sure I would have picked up on the insinuation of what was happening right away. I think the movie had much more power, I think because it deviated from Bruno's POV to draw more out of it. The mother in the movie was the strongest presence for me and I think it's her that makes it hit home harder.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I just started 13 Reasons Why and am really enjoying it so far.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
I just started 13 Reasons Why and am really enjoying it so far.

That one started driving me nuts about halfway through. It was a "throw this book across the room" kind of novel for me. Um, after that glowing review . . . I hope you enjoy it! :D

Just finished Graceling. Good, interesting, but there were some things that were hinted at that were unresolved which makes me wonder where the characters will be in Bitterblue.

SanStormin

In the ozone
Registered
Reaction score
Reading on older one by an author I love.
The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint.
Urban fantasy at its best.

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra.
If you think Stephenie Meyer is bad...

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com

I ADORED the entire series. Read all three books in a weekend. LOVED it. I was so freakin mad at the end of book 1, I *almost* didn't read book 2! (But all was made right) ;)

I thought they rocked and I loved the worldbuilding. Everything came alive for me. Its up there right next to Melissa Marr and Holly Black for me.

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
Weirdly enough, I had a dream about TMI series last night, lol. I dreamt that we were staying an old old church and the priests were trying to kill Simon and Jace. :roll:

Hmm...that might have to find its way into a story somewhere...

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Weirdly enough, I had a dream about TMI series last night, lol. I dreamt that we were staying an old old church and the priests were trying to kill Simon and Jace. :roll:

Hmm...that might have to find its way into a story somewhere...

LOL..I totally wanted Jace. Man *drool* Wait, he's like 18 right. *Sigh* I'm too old for him. Well, in my dreams I'm not ;)

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
Lol, in my dream Simon was the cool one. Jace was just angsty and wanted to kill everyone. :tongue

I think that's my ultimate writing dream - that someday people will fall in love with my characters to the point where they dream about them. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Nightrise by Anthony Horowitz, which is a cracking paced urban fantasy with a lot of EEEEVIILLLL and excellent battle scenes. It's part of his Power of Five series and personally, I think it's miles better than his Alex Ryder series.

Am now about to start The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan.

MM

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Awakening (2nd in series to The Summoning) Good so far, loved the last one so...we'll see :)

I just got that in the mail recently and one of my friends came over to borrow it yesterday because she had just finished The Summoning and wanted to know what happens next. I haven't even read it yet. LOL

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Uglies. Wanna finish the series before rereading Hunger Games and Half-Blood Prince.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Just stared WHAT I SAW AND HOW I LIED by Judy Blundell this morning. It's fabulous so far, I'm really enjoying it. The atmosphere is definitely film noir-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.