What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I think Cinder has ruined YA for me this year (at least so far). Nothing has lived up to it. I'm hoping the summer and fall releases change that.

LOVED Cinder!

I just felt the strong urge to agree with everyone else on this fact.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Almost a third of the way through The Fault in Our Stars. Can't put it down, even though it feels like John Green is ripping my heart out. In a good way.

(I really should have started it when I'd finished my MS readthrough. :tongue It's turned into "Work through a chapter / read some John Green/ work through a chapter/ rinse and repeat". Oops.)

The Fault In Our Stars is absolutely amazing. I ended up reading the whole book in one sitting. I could not put it down. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Only just finished WG, WG (damn uni!) and have started THE BERMUDEZ TRIANGLE by Maureen Johnson.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Finally read The Demon's Lexicon. It was fun - kinda Harry Potter meets Supernatural. I wasn't blown away, but I'm willing to read on to see if the series gets tighter. Some lovely little snappy bits of dialogue.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The F@ult !n 0ur $tars. Gave it 4 stars on GR. Really enjoyed it but found some of it too unbelievable for me, even in fiction. Sigh. I guess nothing will live up to L00k!ng f0r @la$ka for me (my first JG book).

And Nakhlasmoke, I really enjoyed Sarah's Demon trilogy but I am *really* looking forward to her next book, Unsp0k3n. It is supposed to be great.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
The best YA book I've read in ages is PRECIOUS BONES by (fair disclosure) a former student of mine, Mika Ashley-Hollinger, just published by Random House. Not a single vampire, shape-shifter or zombie in it, amazingly enough: just solid, brilliantly-observed characterizations and a setting---Florida's swampland communities in the late 1940's---that is fully realized and a huge contributor to the story. It's a first novel, and the author's in her 70's, so I hope that gives hope to many here. Give it a read---I believe you'll thank me.

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
Close to finishing Extras by Scott Westerfeld. Not as good as the original Uglies series, but still pretty entertaining.

Not sure what I'll read next. Maybe Cassandra Clare or Veronica Roth.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Lighter Side of Life and Death by C K Kelly Martin. I didn't read the back cover so the older love interest came as a surprise (not sure I buy a 23 year old woman being interested in a 16 year old guy though). I'm now onto We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han - I love this series, it's so easy to sink into.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished INSURGENT. I should just learn to trust authors sometimes. Every time I was getting fed up with something, the book would move on from it. I spent the last 125 pages worrying about a seemingly inevitable plot twist that thankfully never came. There were a few things that made me not love it quite as much as DIVERGENT, but still a really great book if you liked the first.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Just read TH3 THING$ @ BR0THER KN0W$ and sobbed my eyeballs out. Beautiful book about a brother who comes home from war and the younger brother's journey to figure him out/why he is so different than before going off... **sobs just thinking about it**

(It was also very short - about 240 pages if anyone would like a quick read)

Nahklasmoke, Unsp0k3n sadly does not come out until later this year, but it is about a girl who helps to uncover mysteries in her hometown.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I'm the only person that could not get into WG, WG (but I love everything else by JG). Maybe it's DL's character I couldn't get into (maybe it's DL's writing I have a hard time with)? :Shrug:

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I was silly and finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green in public.

:cry:

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Slide by Jill Hathaway. It was a quick read and the mystery wasn't super mysterious but I did enjoy it. I think it was the MC that swayed me. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series but I hope a certain character stays dead.

And last night, I started The List by Siobhan Vivian. The concept is fascinating and the writing is strong.

AmandaS

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Delirium and now I'm debating on whether I should jump straight into Pandemonium, or take a break in between the two and read something else. Hmm.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished HEART-SHAPED BRUISE by Tanya Byrne and it's okay. Great voice but the story itself didn't convince me (and I'm not going to talk about it here because it would involve massive spoilers).

Going back to grown up books for a bit.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished HOLES just in time for KISS THE MORNING STAR by Elissa Janine Hoole (one of our own) to arrive from Amazon. So I started right in.

rendezvous_with_leon

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I'm the only person that could not get into WG, WG (but I love everything else by JG). Maybe it's DL's character I couldn't get into (maybe it's DL's writing I have a hard time with)? :Shrug:

I actually liked OWG more than WG. Which is weird for me -- JG is my absolute favorite author. WG, WG was the first book I read by either author, so it has a special place in my heart.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Drowned Cities last night (companion book to Shipbreaker). Excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.