dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
See, I told you! :D

You did! :D

A lot of people voiced concerns about the voice and how there aren't any quotation marks to signal dialogue. I didn't have a problem with that at all. The voice was very distinct and consistent, which was fun. :)

Now I have to do some beta reading, but after that I'm contemplating MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, LEGEND and BITTERBLUE. :)

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Insurgent and was disappointed. The worldbuilding seems weaker than ever, and there's far too much time spent on secondary characters who have no personality and add nothing to the story.

I'm almost finished Evermore. Honestly, it's quite boring. The characters have so little personality they might as well be played by cardboard cut-outs. I can't see myself reading the sequels.

I've got a ton of YA books lined up to read: The Demon's Surrender, Crossed, Black Heart, Looking for Alaska, The Duff, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Circle of Fire. I've decided against Bitterblue because I came *this* close to throwing Fire, and I'm torn about City of Lost Souls. I love Simon, Magnus, and the Lightwood siblings, but I'm sick to death of Clary and Jace.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Bitterblue ealier this week, and loved it. Fire is still my favourite, and if you enjoyed Fire, you'll likely feel the same about Bitterblue. I can't wait for Cashore's next book. :)

shadowmuse

I *heart* Kittehs.
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly finished Shadowcry by Jeanna Burtenshaw. It's ok. The story is great, the characters are a little flat, IMO.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just bought City of Lost Souls, excited to start it!

Aeslynn

Look, a distraction!
Registered
Reaction score
I hated Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I didn't even finish it.

Glad I'm not the only one. I get samples of stuff via Amazon so I don't waste money on books I'll hate. I feel like everyone loved the book, but I just couldn't get into it.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Finished The Selection by Kiera Cass. I totally loved that book, personally. There were a few things that lined up with my concerns for it, but the things I loved, I really, really, loved and they exceeded my every hope.

I'm now reading Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown. I really like Calder's voice, and his pov is fun to read. Yes, it's another book where a hero is being kinda (okay, more then Kinda) stalker-y to the heroine, but the fact that we get it from him and that he is a mermaid / merman / whatever and his intentions are absolute crap actually makes it work for me. I don't think I've personally read a book from the pov of the character acting this way before and for some reason it amuses me. Would I date someone like Calder for real? Heck no. But he makes for good fiction.

After that I'll be moving on to A Stiff Kiss by Avery Olive. Downloaded the sample for my Kindle and bought the full version a while ago, but my TBR pile tends to get really bogged down. Other books I still need to read include Love Sucks by Sage Collins, Insurgent by Veronica Roth and Thumped by Megan McCafferty.

Now I'd better go finish writing my review for The Selection. Bye!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading B!tterblue. I'm going really slowly on it (I forgot how slow I read when I read anything by Cashore). I am enjoying it though, but I've heard mixed things so I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. F!re was my favorite by her (I think I am one of few who ship Archer/Fire ;)).

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Currently reading B!tterblue. I'm going really slowly on it (I forgot how slow I read when I read anything by Cashore). I am enjoying it though, but I've heard mixed things so I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. F!re was my favorite by her (I think I am one of few who ship Archer/Fire ;)).

I'm soo jealous. Really want to read Bitterblue. Fire is the only book I've read by her and I love it to pieces. It's a wonderfully crafted book. Also, I'd ship Archer/Fire only if it meant that I could have Brigan. :D

I am currently reading Mistwood by Leah Cypress. I started it a long time ago but never finished it, so I'm starting from the beginning. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Vikingessa

Tangled...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vikingessa.com
What are some good YA books involving witches? It's been said that reading within the genre of what you're writing helps...but I'm way out of the loop when it comes to YA fiction. way back when I loved horror thrillers by Christopher Pike, RL Stein, Caroline B Cooney, Diana Hoh.

Also reading The Chemical Garden too :) really good so far.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Well, Mira Grant's BLACKOUT comes out on Tuesday. Which probably falls more into New Adult/adult territory, but man, I'm so excited for that book. That series.

I've got another beta project lined up, after which I may just read CITY OF LOST SOULS as it should be quick read (I honestly don't have any expectations whatsoever.), then BITTERBLUE after BLACKOUT. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...so I said that I was reading B!tt3rBlu3? That's a lie... For the 3rd time this week, I have put it down -- again, for a contemporary YA.

Am now reading Th3 F@ult !n 0ur $tars, and am loving it (but had to go to bed so I had to put it down lol).

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've started HEART SHAPED BRUISE by Tanya Byrne, which is getting a lot of exposure in the UK at the moment and being marketed as a YA/adult crossover psychological thriller. I'm enjoying the voice of the narrator but I can guess where the story's going to go (mainly because I read a lot of thrillers of this type). It's skilfully done though so I can see why it's getting a lot of press.

Not sure what I'm going to read afterwards. I keep meaning to pick up the Steampunk anthology that's been on my shelf for ages, but I'm feeling more in a grown up fiction mood.

MM

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hello! I'm more of a kidlit poster, though I read a lot of YA. But I had to pop in here to ask for opinions. I'm a third of the way through DIVERGENT and I'm just ... meh. I'm not at all engaged, I don't care what happens to the characters, and I feel totally ungrounded in the world. If I'm not into it by now, should I hang in there? Does it suddenly pick up and engage?

Also, does she ever explain how the world got this way? I'm not a huge dystopian person, but I really liked in Hunger Games how we clearly understood how Panem grew out of the US and why it was the way it was. For all the telling in the beginning of Divergent, she doesn't tell us anything about why the world is how it is.

So, I'm asking - if I don't like Divergent at the 30% mark, any reason to read on?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm more of a kidlit poster, though I read a lot of YA. But I had to pop in here to ask for opinions. I'm a third of the way through DIVERGENT and I'm just ... meh. I'm not at all engaged, I don't care what happens to the characters, and I feel totally ungrounded in the world. If I'm not into it by now, should I hang in there? Does it suddenly pick up and engage?

Also, does she ever explain how the world got this way? I'm not a huge dystopian person, but I really liked in Hunger Games how we clearly understood how Panem grew out of the US and why it was the way it was. For all the telling in the beginning of Divergent, she doesn't tell us anything about why the world is how it is.

So, I'm asking - if I don't like Divergent at the 30% mark, any reason to read on?

She doesn't. Not until the last fistful of pages of book 2. And that's played as a shocking twist cliffhanger that (for me, anyway) fell flat on its face.

So if you're not feeling it, you probably won't later on either.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Almost a third of the way through The Fault in Our Stars. Can't put it down, even though it feels like John Green is ripping my heart out. In a good way.

(I really should have started it when I'd finished my MS readthrough. :tongue It's turned into "Work through a chapter / read some John Green/ work through a chapter/ rinse and repeat". Oops.)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
So if you're not feeling it, you probably won't later on either.

Thanks! On to the next book on my TBR pile ...

(I really should have started it when I'd finished my MS readthrough. :tongue It's turned into "Work through a chapter / read some John Green/ work through a chapter/ rinse and repeat". Oops.)

You could do worse. ;) Enjoy!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I felt Divergent from the very beginning, so my guess is if you don't like it yet, you probably won't.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished CINDER and loved the shit out of it, though the cliffhanger was kind of...annoying. Want the next book to be out so bad.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think after reading enough dystopians, that cliffhanger almost feels expected in series.

I adored CINDER (I'm not sure I ever wrote that here).

Reading INSURGENT now. Not loving it as much as DIVERGENT, but it's still pretty good.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I think Cinder has ruined YA for me this year (at least so far). Nothing has lived up to it. I'm hoping the summer and fall releases change that.

AmandaS

Registered
Reaction score
Every time I open this thread I add about five more books to my to-read list. I'm going to have a busy summer...

I finished with The Selection, which I thought was an ill thought-out book. It seemed like plot points were thrown in as an afterthought to make the overall arc come together.

Just started Delirium. Only a few chapters in, but so far I really like the way it's written. I've heard mixed reviews of this book, so we'll see how I feel at the end, but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.