What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I realize I've never read a David Levithan book before WG, WG. Maybe I just couldn't connect with *his* writing (as opposed to JG's). Maybe thats why I didn't love/get into WG, WG...

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
WGWG was my first John Green, but not my first D-Lev book. Paper Towns was my first purely JG book and it's still my favourite. Looking for Alaska... I need to reread it. It didn't completely wow me but I'm starting to look back on it fondly.

I liked TFIOS a lot. I read it the day it came out, and right now I'm listening to the special edition audiobook JG read himself in the car. It's hilarious and heartbreaking.

I got to meet JG at the Vancouver Nerdfighter gathering in January :D *bragbrag*

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Re-read Veronica Roth's DIVERGENT and found I liked it a loss less on re-read. Then read INSURGENT and was bored. These dystopians are all starting to sound the same to me.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Picked up BITTERSWEET again, and this time I'm actually loving it. The last two times I tried to read it I was in some kind of funk and couldn't get past the first few chapters. But I knew I'd come back to it. I mean, the cupcakes alone... *drools*

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I loved WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON (one of those books where I was trying not to make a spectacle in public, because I was laughing so hard). Alas, I haven't read any of his other books (yet).

Currently reading PARTIALS by Dan Wells, which I was skeptical about to begin with, but man, that book totally has the BSG nerd in me hooked. ;)

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Re-read Veronica Roth's DIVERGENT and found I liked it a loss less on re-read. Then read INSURGENT and was bored. These dystopians are all starting to sound the same to me.

I'm also reading Insurgent right now, and I have to say, I'm not impressed. The secondary characters are all cardboard cut-outs, and the inter-character drama feels cliche and uninteresting. (Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of Divergent either.)

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I finished @ M!dsumm3r'$ n!ghtm@r3 and I am now reading "wh3n y0u w3r3 m!n3" by r3b3cc@ s3rl3. I am on a contemporary kick, it seems. LOL because I bought Bitterblue with full intentions of speeding/reading that this week. :tongue I guess not this week!

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday. I've been very much in a 'mystery' place lately. Honestly, I probably won't finish it. It feels like Gossip Girl with a murder thrown in. Plus the pop culture references feel so dated. Borat? The Olsen twins? Yikes.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Unraveling by Liz Norris. I had really high hopes for this one, but for me it was just okay. I didn't really connect with the characters.

I'm about to start The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. More MG than YA, but I still have high hopes for it!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Three quarters of the way through THE CITY'S SON by Tom Pollock and it's really good. One of the most imaginative, thrilling and different YA urban fantasies I've read in a long time and it's so good to read a book where the city is as much a character as the protagonists. I would love to see a film version of it.

No idea what I'm going to read next. Going to be difficult to find something to live up to it.

MM

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Finished CROSSED by Ally Condie and, while I enjoyed it, it didn't send me on the emotional roller coaster that the first book did. I am now starting THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and I have high expectations for this book because of the amazing praise I keep hearing about it.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Insurgent. I don't think a book has pissed me off this much in months.

...Really? Well I guess I won't be picking it up --> Is it worse than Divergent?

Also, Yeasayer - is DEADLY COOL really that awful? I've heard decent things about it, and wanted to pick it up but if it is just GG x murder, then probably not...

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Finished TFioS last night. :cry:JG is a bad man. Now I remember why I don't do weepies. That one was right up there with ET and Watership Down. Scarred.

Having said that, TFioS was definitely my fave JG so far. I sometimes have a problem with his 16 going on 70 characters, but the tone of the novel was just so wonderful, and the writing was (as always) so amazing, it didn't jar one bit. I confess, I loved it.

Picked up BITTERSWEET again, and this time I'm actually loving it. The last two times I tried to read it I was in some kind of funk and couldn't get past the first few chapters. But I knew I'd come back to it. I mean, the cupcakes alone... *drools*

Ooh, my ed sent me a box of SPu1se goodies a few weeks ago and this was in there. I'm going to read it next. I mean, it has a cookie on the front. How sad can it be?

Damn you, JG.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm still reading and loving Danny Mark's Velveteen! Ooh...get this book when it comes out. So clever, witty and delightful!

Tonight I will be starting VOICELESS by AW's own Carogirl - Caroline Wissing.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Anna and the French Kiss which is FANTASTIC and Princesses of the Midnight Ball which is okay.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Anna and the French Kiss which is FANTASTIC and Princesses of the Midnight Ball which is okay.

ANNA!!! lovelovelove.

I didn't like DEADLY COOL much... the textspeak did it for me. In real life, people send legible texts. I text where are you? to my friends. And now that I have an iPhone, even capitals and apostrophes are easy. In DEADLY COOL, they all text like whr r u? and i sw jill tdy nd she lkd so cte. SO GODDAMN UNREALISTIC RAWWWWRRR.

Also, the whodunnit was lame. Spoiler in white: I hate when the murder turns out to be insane. It's such a cop-out, like the author couldn't think of a good way to wrap it up so they make a random character who acted normally throughout the whole thing into a raging psychopath.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Finished CROSSED by Ally Condie and, while I enjoyed it, it didn't send me on the emotional roller coaster that the first book did. I am now starting THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and I have high expectations for this book because of the amazing praise I keep hearing about it.

I agree. I didn't enjoy CROSSED that much. The shifting POV threw me at the start and I just never fully got into it after that.

TFiOS was fantastic! I don't read much contemporary, but I really enjoyed the voice in that one.

Reve

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Selection. I don't think I've ever been happier to finish a book before - and for all the wrong reasons, too. It was just...tedious. Absolutely tedious.

Starting Under the Never Sky now. I'm hoping it will be a better reading experience for me than The Selection was :/.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Wh3n Y0u W3r3 M!n3 (contemporary retellingish of R0m30+Jul!3+).

Next up is B!++3rblu3...finally lol. It's been sitting on my nightstand for a week now. :D Love me some high fantasy.

And after that is *finally*!!!! F@ul+ !n 0ur $t@r$ :D I lent the book to a friend and never got it back until now (re January --> now, May). Whee!!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Very nearly through Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston. Excellent so far. All the characters feel real to me--and their reactions to each other are believable and organic. There's no weird "love at first sight" nonsense.

Also, I want a pet kelpie.

Status
Not open for further replies.