What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmickey

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Selection by Kiera Cass. It was an easy and fast read, I read it in one night and I enjoyed it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished EARTH GIRL by Janet Edwards, which I was loving right up until the final third when the character suffers a plot point that didn't work at all for me given the fact that it's told in first person. For anyone looking for proper YA SF though rather than the never-ending dystopias, it's worth checking out when it's released because it's got a proper vision of the future with full on technology but also has character development.

Am about to start an ARC of THE CITY'S SON by Tom Pollock, which I'm really looking forward to. It's the ultimate urban fantasy and having read a first draft of it, I'm really interested to know what the final copy looks like.

MM

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished CINDER. Loved it all the way through, even if the plot twist was painfully obvious from a quarter of the way through the book. Looking forward to book 2.

I will probably read THE FALSE PRINCE next.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Arcadia Awakens by Kai Mayer right now. Pretty good! The prose is beautiful, the imagery is incredible, and the story isn't what I expected - in a good way. One of the key surprise plot lines shocked me. I didn't think I'd be able to suspend my sense of reality for this one, but Mayer takes me away.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Arcadia Awakens by Kai Mayer right now. Pretty good! The prose is beautiful, the imagery is incredible, and the story isn't what I expected - in a good way. One of the key surprise plot lines shocked me. I didn't think I'd be able to suspend my sense of reality for this one, but Mayer takes me away.
I loved those books (although I read them in German). So great to see them getting translated. :)

I am almost finished with Insurgent which I'm really enjoying so far and started reading Bitterblue.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up starting THE WARRIOR HEIR by Cinda Williams Chima, since I'll be seeing her for the umpteenth time at a convention next weekend and keep buying her books without reading them, lol

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Sage - I'm here to say I LOVED The False Prince. I thought it was such a lovely book plus I couldn't guess the twist for the life of me (then again, I am sucky at guessing those things/mysteries).

Last edited:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I just started DIVERGENT. The writing is good, and I'm looking forward to a good read, but man...I've really noticed how every single YA dystopia starts in the same place. It's true, you need to start at the moment that the rest of the plot becomes inevitable, but heavens I'm sort of getting tired of reading the first chapter of books where the thing that is going to happen is that dystopian society Q is going to decide the fate of protagonist Y based on test/matching/examination etc.

I understand now why agents and editors are starting to get weary of these stories...

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished SLIDE by Jill Hathaway. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of Lisa McMann's WAKE trilogy. Similar vibe. Enjoyed it.

I've been putting it off like crazy, but next up is THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. I'm going to need Kleenex, aren't I?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So much kleenex. Also don't read it in public unless you like making a tragic spectacle of yourself.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished SLIDE by Jill Hathaway. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of Lisa McMann's WAKE trilogy. Similar vibe. Enjoyed it.

I've been putting it off like crazy, but next up is THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. I'm going to need Kleenex, aren't I?

I really want to read SLIDE. And I gave TFIOS my best shot, but meh. I didn't like the MC or Augustus, her LI. The only character I liked was Isaac.

I'm reading SHIFT by Em Bailey now (having abandoned THE CREW) and I like it. I also like the concept, and the cover is really cool.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Rebel Angels - Libba Bray. Really enjoying this series, though I find the real-world bits far more interesting than the bits in the realms, which keep coming across as a CGI technicolour Narnia in my head.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I finished MATCHED and I honestly adored it (and my review of it was reblogged by the official tumblr). I'm going to read the sequel CROSSED and then I'm going to either tackle GOT or The Fault in Our Stars.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I really want to read SLIDE. And I gave TFIOS my best shot, but meh. I didn't like the MC or Augustus, her LI. The only character I liked was Isaac.

I felt similarly. I did finish it, and I bought it before I read it, so I own it, but, I wasn't wowed. (My thoughts are on Goodreads) I think the first John Green you read will be your favorite John Green--for me, that was PAPER TOWNS.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the first John Green you read will be your favorite John Green--for me, that was PAPER TOWNS.

I agree with this. I read Looking For Alaska first and thought it was genius. The others I didn't enjoy as much.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't fall in love with my first (and only) John Green book, but I'm still going to try another. It will not be tFioS, though, because I have a warped reaction to characters with cancer.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
The Fault in Our Stars is one of the very few books that have made me downright sob. As in tears rolling down, sniffling, can't-breathe sobbing.

Looking for Alaska was my first John Green read and I do love it, but my favorite is Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I loved TFIOS. Reviewed it. I went crazy for Tiny in WGWG. Loved Alaska. Oh crap...I'll save time by saying I love everything he wrote.

I'm reading VELVETEEN by Daniel Marks. SO clever and entertaining. Dark and comic. LOVE IT!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I felt similarly. I did finish it, and I bought it before I read it, so I own it, but, I wasn't wowed. (My thoughts are on Goodreads) I think the first John Green you read will be your favorite John Green--for me, that was PAPER TOWNS.

Very true - I LOVE Looking for Alaska, and I read that first.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I *loved* Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns and Abundance of Katherines (although LFA is my fave, and my first!). I didn't care for WG, WG - I couldn't connect with the main characters. Sigh. Still have yet to pick up TFIOS.

Currently reading an ARC of A M!d$umm3r'$ n!gh+m@r3 by K0dy K3pl!ng3r. I'm 100 pages into it. It's my first non-school read. (Yay for being done with classes :D)

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
The Fault in Our Stars is one of the very few books that have made me downright sob. As in tears rolling down, sniffling, can't-breathe sobbing.

I will never read Paper Towns or An Abundance of Katherines because from what I've read they're basically the same storyline in regards to the romance aspect. But TFIOS made me cry like a goddamn baby too. I swear, I think I cried nonstop for about 40 pages.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will never read Paper Towns or An Abundance of Katherines because from what I've read they're basically the same storyline in regards to the romance aspect.

The same storyline as what? Each other? Honestly, I don't see it. They're completely different. Perhaps they're the same in that the male MCs each pine after a girl, but that's the storyline in practically every romance novel, YA or otherwise. :e2shrug:

And An Abundance of Katherines is my favorite JG book... and it was the third JG book I read.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I guess, technically, WGWG was my first John Green (but not my first David Levithan)

Status
Not open for further replies.