What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

Registered
Reaction score
In the middle of Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey. Love reading a gay hero and the story itself is interesting so far.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not YA, but written by an AWer and EXCELLENT reading, so far: White Horse, by Alex Adams. Started it this morning and will likely finish it today.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Selection by Kiera Cass. She was at a con I went to - C2E2 - and was hysterical on the panel. So far, the book's as brilliant as she was.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished RED GLOVE by Holly Black, which left me a bit meh. The plot sagged when it should have popped and the oh-noes wangst relationship between Lila and Cass bored me. But I have bought BLACK HEART, which I've lined up to read next.

Also read SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT: THE END OF DAYS which was a one-off short story produced for World Book Day. It's a really fast-paced read with a bitter sweet ending - if you're a fan of the series then it's a must-read.

MM

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I finally had time to finish Pandemonium. I wasn't a big fan of Delirium but I read this just to continue with the characters. I don't think I'll be reading the third book. The ending was maddening and any reader could see it coming from three miles away.

I have Starters already downloaded, but I really want to read The Night Circus because I've heard amazing things about it from the people here at AW.

Carissa

my day, your day, lovely day
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carissa-taylor.blogspot.com
I'm reading Elizabeth Norris' UNRAVELING. So far it's really not what I expected, but still very good - just different. More mystery than sci-fi. I'm only 15% in and think I've already guessed the ending .... I'm not sure that was supposed to happen =/ But maybe it means there will be an exciting twist! Ooooohhh yay =)

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Nick Burd's The Vast Fields of Ordinary. So long it's great but I'm kind of dreading getting to the end. It's supposed to ... not be so good.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Well I visited my local 'recycling centre' and got about 12 books for £4.50 - kerching!

First I read THE KIDNAPPING OF SUZIE Q - quite short but very good, and I loved the little details about the IRA (set in Ireland, written in 1994)

Then INEXCUSABLE by Chris Lynch - 1st book I've read with an unreliable narrator and I really liked it.

Now I'm reading WHAT I SAW AND HOW I LIED and so far it's a bit meh.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Setting Anna aside for a day or two for Insurgent. For the few quibbles I had with the first book, I really like Veronica Roth and wanted a more-actiony dystopia.

(Also: Dauntless!)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Enjoyed it well enough, aside from the squickly plot point near the end.

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray. Loved the first one--hoping the second one is just as good.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Nick Burd's The Vast Fields of Ordinary. The end was kind of a letdown but I still like the overall story.

I too am moving on to Insurgent because I'm quite the Divergent fangirl.

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Demonglass and reading the last Hex Hall book, Spell Bound. Demonglass was a little underwhelming compared to the first book, but this one looks better. Also read Some Girls Are. It made me cringe because the author doesn't hold back in her portrayal of high school bullying, but that's what made it so realistic to me.

I'm really looking forward to Insurgent, and hoping it's as much of a page-turner as the first book.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Wanderlove a little while ago, and... wow. So so good.

Also just finished Gone, Gone, Gone by our own Hannah Moskowitz... holy shit. I knew there was a reason I'd been counting down the days till its release. Favourite book of 2012 so far.

I got a package of three ARCs in the mail yesterday, but two of them are sequels to books I haven't read. Surrender by Elana Johnson and Envy by Elizabeth Miles. I haven't heard great things about Possession or Fury, either. Surrender has a different MC than Possession though, so maybe it can stand alone? The third ARC was The Unnaturalists, which I'm so stoked about reading!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. So far I'm loving it.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater.

... anyone else in LOVE with her writing?

*waves wildly* pick me pick me!

the Wolves of Mercy Falls series are the only paranormal romances I've EVER read, and I'm glad I chose them, because they are made of awesome. Her descriptions of the woods, and the snow, and Sam - okay, I'm a serious fangirl, so that isn't necessarily about her writing buuuuuut yeah I totally agree with you. :)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by those as well. A lot more layers than a lot of paranormal romance I've read. However, both voices sounded pretty similar, which was a minor complaint. Sam just quoted more song lyrics and poetry.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith. "Intense" doesn't begin to cover it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished BLACK HEART by Holly Black and it left me underwhelmed. There are a lot of great ideas and the world has so much potential but the plot strands didn't gel for me and the unreliable narrator schtick (which basically relied on Cass not telling you what he'd planned) got really old across the three books. The ending has a really rushed feel to it as well. It's actually one of those books I'd point to as needing to be twice the length it is to do the ideas justice.

Have started an ARC of EARTH GIRL by Janet Edwards, which is a YA SF set in the far future where those humans who lack the immune systems to travel to other planets are confined to Earth and regarded as throw-backs and apes. Love the voice so far and she's deftly set up the world in only a couple of pages so I've got high hopes. It isn't released in the UK until August.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.