Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmia View Post
    Reading Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt right now. It reminds me a lot of the books I used to read in grade school (as far as tone/atmosphere goes), so I like the nostalgia.
    I read that a couple of years ago and really liked it.

I just finished Entangled by Cat Clarke which I thought was a good read, although at times the dialogue didn't sound completely realistic to me.

I can't decide what to read next! There's lots of unread YA on my shelves that I should try to tackle.

I heart sexy elves and wizards. fredXgeorge's Avatar
    Rereading The Hunger Games all ready for the movie.
    Twitter

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
    - J.K. Rowling

Recovering adjective addict
    Finally finished GLOW. Got distracted from that one. Just started ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD and have a good feeling about it so far.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Finished AU REVOIR, CRAZY EUROPEAN CHICK by Joe Schreiber, which is basically COLLATERAL meets KILL BILL for teens. It's an enjoyable romp but if you stop to think about the plot then it doesn't really stand up. Still, it had me sniggering and turning the pages.

Am currently reading THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin. I'm about a quarter of the way through and it's only just started to get going, which is a bit frustrating. The writing's fine but not setting me on fire and I can see it being one of those books where the mystery element of what happened to Mara and her friends in the abandoned insane asylum is dragged out through the text. Will keep at it though.

Not sure what I'll read after, but I'm definitely in the mood for some zombie fiction.

MM

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    I'll be starting MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH by Bethany Griffin here any second now

Hero/Villain: Fixing, thanks to betas
    Super/Human: With betas
    Master/Puppet: Ready for betas

This week, I'm in: Ohio

Reading Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick again, in my loo times.

2011 is the year for me :D Chanelley's Avatar
    Black City by Elizabeth Richards. VERY excited for this one.

practical experience, FTW MysticPunk's Avatar
    Hunger Games and not enjoying it.

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    I'm going to give Sarah Dessen another chance. I read The Truth About Forever a few years ago and wasn't impressed (it wasn't awful or anything, but it wasn't memorable, either), but I'm going to give Along for the Ride a try.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Takiran Code Scholar breaking_burgundy's Avatar
    Finished The Marbury Lens. I had such high expectations, but while the prose was good and the story was very compelling, the plot never seemed to come together. Also, the love interest had no identity beyond being a love interest.

Currently reading Wanderlove. I like it a lot so far.

Freshly caught writing bug lives! Netz's Avatar
    The view from my stained glass window suggests by a moonlit lake someplace...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    I'm going to give Sarah Dessen another chance. I read The Truth About Forever a few years ago and wasn't impressed (it wasn't awful or anything, but it wasn't memorable, either), but I'm going to give Along for the Ride a try.
    I just finished AFTR yesterday (my 3rd SD book). I haven't read TTAF, but I'm guessing you probably won't change your opinion (but tell me if I'm wrong, lol!). I quite enjoy her books - I think she's a consistent writer.
    Quest Seekers blog / Twitter

...if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.
    - William Goldman, The Princess Bride

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    - Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Tried to read Shatter Me yesterday. Got to about page 40 and decided that I just couldn't hack it any more. I love great prose, but this was like eating 20 sticks of cotton candy in a row. TOO MUCH PURPLE.

Starting Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. I like the MC so far

SD is very consistent, all her books have a long drawn out beginning with lots of backstory and characters that are a little quirky but don't really stay with you. My guess is that you won't change your mind about her writing since they're all about the same. My favorite of hers was Just Listen. That one had me in tears.

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    /
    Last edited by Lydia Sharp; 05-11-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Lydia Sharp
    YA author represented by Laura Bradford
    editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I'll be starting MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH by Bethany Griffin here any second now

I hate you. Just a little.

I heart sexy elves and wizards. fredXgeorge's Avatar
    Finally starting BREAK.
    Twitter

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
    - J.K. Rowling

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
    SD is very consistent, all her books have a long drawn out beginning with lots of backstory and characters that are a little quirky but don't really stay with you. My guess is that you won't change your mind about her writing since they're all about the same. My favorite of hers was Just Listen. That one had me in tears.
    I got Just Listen from the library too, actually. I started AFTR last night before bed, but didn't get far. You're exactly right. Lots of backstory and information about people other than the MC. I know tons about the MC's mother, but can't even remember the MC's name at this point, and don't know a thing about her except that she lives with her mother.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

losing way too much sleep over this Mik's Avatar
    Legend by Marie Lu.

Starting to want stuff besides dystopians, however. Some favorites that come to mind right now are Hunger Games (the first two, at least), Divergent, Delirium, and Shatter Me.
    The Hidden Prisons - YA science fiction, 72k words

Untitled WIP - YA space opera

Blog
    Twitter

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Lots of backstory and information about people other than the MC. I know tons about the MC's mother, but can't even remember the MC's name at this point, and don't know a thing about her except that she lives with her mother.
    I am not a fan of Sarah Dessen for this very reason (which is sad because she writes my genre of choice). But to each their own opinion...

Lydia Sharp
    YA author represented by Laura Bradford
    editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

I read Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan last night. Was kind of cute though i don't know if that's what he was going for.

About halfway through A Great and Terrible Beauty. So well written--I love these characters. All of them. And I especially like that even the members of Evil Teenage Clique (because these boarding school stories always have an Evil Teenage Clique) are layered and complicated. I might have to round out the entire Gemme Doyle trilogy when I'm done.
    WIP: Cave Draconem (YA dark fantasy), 78k, revising
    Short: 100% Organic (horror), 2000, subbing (Rs--2)

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/

someday we'll shine together bickazer's Avatar
    Finally finished Girl of Fire and Thorns, and loved it. A lot. At first I abandoned it because it was moving pretty slowly, but the pace picks up once the second half begins and it's just one thrilling, emotional ride to the end. It's the first time in a while that a book actually made me cry...definitely an unexpected ending.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the sequel, though, since the story seems pretty well wrapped up to me.
    Rewriting: Brightmage - YA fantasy (17/31 chapters)

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Finished THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin and it left me really meh. For most of the book, I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a thriller with paranormal overtones or a contemporary story about PTSD and to be honest, I wasn't sure that the author really knew either. Then it finally decides in the final quarter that it's going to be a paranormal type story but there's still no real explanation for what's going on and worse, when the MC has a chance to get an explanation she never really asks the obvious questions and instead bickers with her hot boyfriend.

On the plus side, I did like the PTSD scenes and the way Hodkin shows their impact on the MC and I also like the fact that the MC is not your standard white girl but has an Indian mother (poor show on Simon & Schuster for whitewashing the UK cover). Unfortunately though I found the book too long and too slow for what it was and the big twist at the end really wasn't enough for me to be in any hurry to read the next volume.

I'm in the mood for some zombie fiction at the moment because we all know that zombies make everything better. I've picked up WARM BODIES by Isaac Marion, which is a 'grown up' book rather than YA but I believe that zombies are for all ages.

:nods:

MM

practical experience, FTW summerb's Avatar
    Trying to catch up on some YA sci fi, in the last week I've read:

Forgotten Door by Alexander Key - loved it, much slower pacing than today's ya books, also a little moral-y

Bunker 10 - Was a quick read but so reminiscent of Ender's Game I found it annoying. Also one of the characters was supposed to be "ghetto" but his language was annoyingly inauthentic and distracting. Still, a fast paced, fun read.

Magnificent 12, The call - fun book, more MG than YA, I would imagine, even though our library had it in the YA section. The mc is 12, and the language is a little sillier. Also find it super ballsy to write a book about collecting 12 "magnifica" and only find two. He's basically guaranteeing himself at least 6 more books.

Freshly caught writing bug lives! Netz's Avatar
    The view from my stained glass window suggests by a moonlit lake someplace...
    I read 'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham the other week. I didn't realise they'd made a film of it. They've renamed it 'Now is Good' and it stars Dakota Fanning (sporting a British accent) - it's out in the UK towards the end of May (not sure if there's a US release planned yet - IMDB doesn't list one).
    Quest Seekers blog / Twitter

...if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.
    - William Goldman, The Princess Bride

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    - Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Page 256 of 400 FirstFirst ... 6156181206231246250251252253254255256257258259260261262266281306331356 ... LastLast