Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

figuring it all out

Right now...

I am eagerly awaiting Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. I LOVED Delirium. She is one of the most talented YA writers out there!

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    I've started an ARC of I HUNT KILLERS by Barry Lyga, which isn't released in the UK until 12th April. I'd thought that it was an 'adult' crime novel but because the protagonist is the 15 year old son of a serial killer, who in turn begins an investigation after bodies start turning up in his home town, I've seen a number of people talk about it having YA cross-over appeal. I'm about 50 pages in and I can definitely see it working as a YA book so far - it's got a great teen voice to it and although it's obviously about murder, it's not unnecessarily gross. In fact, teens who watch CSI should be able to cope with it pretty well.

Anyway, figured I'd mention it here because I know a lot of posters here are interested in cross-over books.

MM

2011 is the year for me :D Chanelley's Avatar
    Started reading Croak by Gina Damico. Really quirky so far. Reminds me of Lemony Snicket's writing but for YA.

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Started WHEN THE SEA IS RISING RED before I even finished purchasing it.

Hero/Villain: Querying
    Super/Human: With a beta
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Perpetually waiting

This week, I'm in: Ohio

practical experience, FTW SillyMom25's Avatar
    The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin. It's so, so, so good.
    Contemporary YA Author

JUST YOU, SOMEONE ELSE, and UNTIL NOW (series)
    OUT OF NOWHERE (ABNA 2012 Finalist)
    FAKING PERFECT (Kensington Publishing, June 30, 2015)

www.rebeccawritesya.com

practical experience, FTW
    And Then Things Fall Apart by Arlaina Tibensky

Slice of Cherry. Well I'm not reading it, but it's at the top of my pile, so I'll start it today. I know nothing about this book, it is YA right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakhlasmoke View Post
    Slice of Cherry. Well I'm not reading it, but it's at the top of my pile, so I'll start it today. I know nothing about this book, it is YA right?
    Yup! I really liked it, as well as her first book, Bleeding Violet.

Count me in as a Dia Reeves fan. Her books are dark, seriously twisted, and totally hiliarious. Love her.
    The Dark L1ght: My debut YA fantasy--Simon Pu1se, August 28th, 2012

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Facebook

I decided to venture into contemporary so I'm reading HEIST SOCIETY & LIAR SOCIETY (totally unrelated books by different authors.) I also picked up the second book in the Infernal Devices series after all the steampunk talk: CLOCKWORK PRINCE. What can I say, Jem is adorable and I like C.C.'s take on steampunk--it rides the border of gaslamp fantasy/Victorian Gothic.

I'm reading A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. It's so amazingly good.

I'm just finishing BZRK by Michael Grant, then I'm starting Traitors by Tom Becker which is out in April in the UK and from the opening bits I've read is going to be fabulous
    The Goodbye Game: First draft in progress, British YA contemporary.

www.chooseya.com

The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakhlasmoke View Post
    um..I am half way through. I knew nothing about this book beyond the title when I started. So far, it is *fantastic*

I may be a little in love.

Quote Originally Posted by mac3910 View Post
    Reading Fever, the sequel to Wither. It's been disappointing so far, but I hope it'll pick up.
    Same here! Wither was so good, I devoured it in like a day. Been less enthusiastic with Fever, it's been dragging for me.
    “The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.” -Anais Nin

Heather Topham Wood
    My Blog Twitter Feed

First Visions: Second Sight Book One
    NOW available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

Foreshadowing Queen erin_michelle's Avatar
    Just finished Tempe$t by Julie Cro$s. I found it underwhelming and confusing with all the "time jumping" (and I say this a huge Doctor Who fan) and was left asking, "Okay, so what was the point?"

I think I'm going to go back to my Great Sherlock Holmes Read-Through.
    Blog

"Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?" - Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    I finished my ARC of I HUNT KILLERS by Barry Lyga. It seems to be pitched as a cross-over YA/adult crime thriller and I think that it is one of those books that would appeal to both young adults and 'adult' crime fans. It's got a 17-year-old protagonist who's the son of a convicted serial killer and who was brought up knowing how to recognise potential victims and kill them without getting caught. I thought that it was a great read - not particularly gory (although there's some reference to severed limbs and a rape reference so it might be more for older teens than younger ones) and there were enough red herrings to keep me guessing. I know we get a lot of questions here about the border between YA and adult and also about how far you can go in YA and this is a good book to answer those questions so I'm also going to add it to the Recommendations Thread (apologies to anyone reading my posts who get a sense of deja vu).

I'm going to read AFTER THE SNOW by S. D. Crockett next, which is another YA dystopian/post apocalyptic book. I'm a bit jaded with them but have been told this has a fantastic voice.

MM

Here, there, everywhere mac3910's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtop255 View Post
    Same here! Wither was so good, I devoured it in like a day. Been less enthusiastic with Fever, it's been dragging for me.
    I just finished Fever and I'm actually angry about...everything. The MC spends almost the entire book complaining or lying in bed. The entire story could have been told in half the time if the MC would stop thinking about how awful everything is. It was extremely disappointing, especially the ending.

But now I'm moving on to Pandemonium and I still have to finish reading Cinder.
    The Phoenix Embargo - YA SF - Writing - 25,000/85,000
    City Divided - Trunked - 90,000/85,000
    Untitled - Outlined - 0/?
    Jonathon Wittley - Trapped between no time and no energy - 25,000/45,000

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue Snowstorm's Avatar
    Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
    Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Tarnished Gold, a historical mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mac3910 View Post
    I just finished Fever and I'm actually angry about...everything. The MC spends almost the entire book complaining or lying in bed. The entire story could have been told in half the time if the MC would stop thinking about how awful everything is. It was extremely disappointing, especially the ending.

But now I'm moving on to Pandemonium and I still have to finish reading Cinder.
    Ugh, that's not giving me motivation to finish it. Pandemonium is next up for me too! The reviews sound much better than the ones for Fever.
    “The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.” -Anais Nin

Heather Topham Wood
    My Blog Twitter Feed

First Visions: Second Sight Book One
    NOW available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

Switched by Amanda Hocking.
    Make it count!!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just finished The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Couldn't put it down until I finished it.

Blog: cwtoolbox.blogspot.com

practical experience, FTW Katallina's Avatar
    I'm reading The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder. Extremely drawn to this, even though it's breaking my heart at the same time. It's impressive when a book can do that.
    Sealer's Promise -- 90,400 / 80,000
    (NA Urban Fantasy)
    "And now we revise." (The draft is done!!!)

Sweet Rebellion -- 17,500 / 60,000
    (NA contemporary romance)
    "I am the next in line."

My Blog <3 On Facebook <3 On Twitter <3 GoodReads

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    Just finished Sparks by SJ Adams. A great addition to the Humorous Tales Of Lesbians Joining Cults subgenre The funniest thing to me was that the MC is obsessed with the show Full House, and is coming to realize that real life is not like the show. The author even went so far as to name minor characters in the novel after minor characters in the show. Not that I'm a fan. Or anything...

Finally got around to UNDER THE NEVER SKY. It's not bad so far -- the writing is very clean and the prose serviceable, if the story isn't as gripping as I'd like it to be. Partially because I can't stop wondering... am I really the only one who's noticed that everyone in this story so far is white, with either blond hair and blue/green eyes, or pale skin and dark hair? In a world set 300 years in the future, in what seems to be California, that has an artificial reality where you can make yourself look however you want, and where there is genetic engineering on top of it. Okay.

Wait, everyone *except* the one "striking, dark" young woman with "almond-shaped eyes" who happened to once hook up with Perry and serves as nothing more (so far) than "artificial tension" between the MC and her burgeoning love. Which... yeah.

And I won't even get into the villainous psycho in Aria's world being genetically engineered so he's the only one with tanned skin. I mean, WHAT? Bleh...

Page 252 of 400 FirstFirst ... 2152177202227242246247248249250251252253254255256257258262277302327352 ... LastLast