What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished THIS DARK ENDEAVOUR by Kenneth Oppel, which was a good read - gothic in the sense of being really dark at points with moments of high melodrama. There's a sequel out later in the year, which I will definitely check out.

Have started THE IRON DAUGHTER by Julie Kagawa, which is a YA fantasy about faeries. I really enjoyed the first book in this quartet (THE IRON KING), particularly the world building and the way Kagawa uses the infamous Puck, and went out and bought the remaining 3 on a whim.

MM

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Loving POSSESS. I originally picked up this book mostly because it was a debut novel represented by my dream agent. But now I'm going to buy everything this author ever writes.

You know the author is one of us, right? She'd be thrilled to hear that you're loving her book. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I cruelly look forward to the day when someone comes in here moaning about a book, only to find out that one of us is the author.

Narrowly avoided when I went off on a rant about a book only for a kind person to warn me that the author was a member of the forums. That got deleted. :tongue

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it happen. Maybe not many rants, but people posting that they didn't love books that I know belong to AW authors.

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I only have about 100 pages left and I really want to know how it will end!

Have started THE IRON DAUGHTER by Julie Kagawa, which is a YA fantasy about faeries. I really enjoyed the first book in this quartet (THE IRON KING), particularly the world building and the way Kagawa uses the infamous Puck, and went out and bought the remaining 3 on a whim.

This is my next read!

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver. And I like it which really surprised me. :D

D.F. Jules

Registered
Reaction score
Am reading Ari Marmell's Thief's Covenant. I just opened the first page so I don't know if I'll like it or not. Will get back to you on that.

Some of the YA that I love is Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments, Lili St. Crow's Strange Angel's series. I like James Patterson's Maximum Ride but everything after MAX is UGH, I can't even find the words.

Ooh, the newest one I've read is Veronica Roth's Divergent. It's really good.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
eward:
This is my next read!

Ah. Then I probably shouldn't admit to feeling really disappointed with it. I'm half-way through and Meghan's suffering from 'ninny heroine syndrome' which sees the heroine consistently fail to take any responsibility for herself and is accompanied by persistent crying as The Hot Male Love Interest apparently doesn't love her (even though The Hot Male Love Interest has already told her that he can't show any sign of affection to her as it would be taken as weakness). At the same time, there's also a love triangle that's blatantly skewered towards The Hot Male Love Interest, thereby robbing it of any tension and I've got to say that I can't see why anyone with an ounce of sense would have the hots for Meghan who's a twonk of the highest order.

That said, I do love the visuals that Kagawa creates for the faerie realm - particularly when it comes to the iron fae who've got a real steam punk vibe about them. It's for that reason alone that I'm ploughing on, but if Meghan doesn't suck it up and start taking charge of herself soon, I'm going to lose patience.

MM

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Ah. Then I probably shouldn't admit to feeling really disappointed with it. I'm half-way through and Meghan's suffering from 'ninny heroine syndrome' which sees the heroine consistently fail to take any responsibility for herself and is accompanied by persistent crying as The Hot Male Love Interest apparently doesn't love her (even though The Hot Male Love Interest has already told her that he can't show any sign of affection to her as it would be taken as weakness). At the same time, there's also a love triangle that's blatantly skewered towards The Hot Male Love Interest, thereby robbing it of any tension and I've got to say that I can't see why anyone with an ounce of sense would have the hots for Meghan who's a twonk of the highest order.

That said, I do love the visuals that Kagawa creates for the faerie realm - particularly when it comes to the iron fae who've got a real steam punk vibe about them. It's for that reason alone that I'm ploughing on, but if Meghan doesn't suck it up and start taking charge of herself soon, I'm going to lose patience.

MM

My fave of the series is THE IRON QUEEN (book 3). I think I remember THE IRON DAUGHTER (book 2) being my least favorite. Can't remember why, exactly.... but it was still one of the best books I read that year.

I'm currently reading THE FINE ART OF TRUTH OR DARE by Melissa Jensen. Really cute, fun read so far. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't finish the first Kagawa book - it wasn't especially bad, just found it dull. Not enjoyable enough to read for fun, but not terrible enough to get my mock on.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
The Fault in our Stars- John Green.

Just started it.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished Lauren Oliver's BEFORE I FALL. The characters are totally unlikable, but I still enjoyed it because it was like a glimpse into a world I was never allowed to be a part of. Oliver does an outstanding job of pulling the reader into the character's world though, and details and dialogue really bring the book to life. Still, very difficult to sympathize with any of the MCs and I was getting impatient for the ending about 3/4 of the way through.

Just picked up and started Jennifer Smith's THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. I'm a third of the way in and really struggling to connect. It feels like it should have been written in 1st person, and seems distant and forced in 3rd person. There are lots of missed opportunities to develop character to give the reader a better sense of the female MC. There's just something off or missing about it.

waby32

Just Keep Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I'm not that far into it yet, so I'm not sure what I think about it.

I picked it up, because so many people rave about this series. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Dark Parties by Sara Grant. I got it yesterday and only meant to read the first chapter or two, because I was partway through something else, but I couldn't put it down.

ambermg

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Match by Ally Condie. It was amazing! I loved it!

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Pure Blood by Melissa Pearl. I really enjoyed! It's the last book in the Time Spirit trilogy--it was sad to say good-bye to the characters. But the author ended the series perfectly.

Kaiodem

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaistclaire.blogspot.com
I just currently finished The City of Fallen Angels, and I personally loved it. I really like the first three a lot too.

I'm now currently reading The Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, and it's hard to get into just like The City of Bones because it's a new beginning. I've heard it's a good book though, so I'm going to push through it.

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Cinder. Everyone else seems to love it so I'm hoping I will as well.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished both THE IRON DAUGHTER and THE IRON QUEEN by Julie Kagawa and they both left me a bit meh. I really love the world building and her descriptions but I'm not a love triangle fan at the best of times and this one was so stilted in favour of one of the male characters that there was no tension there at all. Coupled with this is the fact that I didn't understand why either male character wanted to be with Meghan. She cries, wants to cry or stifles sobs in practically every page of THE IRON DAUGHTER, forgot everything she learnt in THE IRON KING and has no common sense at all.

I'm about to start THE IRON KNIGHT (purely because I bought the books together) but I must confess to being left a bit meh by the quartet as a whole.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.