Status
Not open for further replies.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Just finished Angelfall by Susan Ee. Remarkably inventive and pretty well-written. I'd recommend it.

I finished that one earlier this week and liked it, too. There was some really cool creepy stuff in this. Overall, I thought the world building had some really cool ideas, but I would have wanted the author to do more with it. Also wasn't a fan of how the MC pretty much turned entirely passive during the climax. Hm. This could have had a lot more depth, but I liked it enough to probably pick up the sequel. :)

Reading WINGS OF THE WICKED by Courtney Allison Moulton right now.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Fire by Kristin Cashore and have now started Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Read the first part of THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS. Good worldbuilding and characterization, but it moved like a snail. Not sure if I want to read the rest.
Definitely keep pushing. It DOES get better!!

Reading STARTERS by Lissa Price.

Alison_Kale

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Ruby Red by Kerstin Geir. Time-travel, mostly to 18th century England, and it focused more on family secrets and conspiracies than the history, but I loved it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over half way through DEADLINE by Chris Crutcher, which I am enjoying but there's an awful lot of American football and American civics/history in there so there are parts where I'm a little lost (particularly the football scenes as I know just enough to understand the rest). But it is still a powerful, funny and well written story, which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

MM

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Like Mandarin. Only a few chapters in, but MH's writing has a really nice flow and rhythm. Enjoying it so far.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Ship Breaker now.

Just finished Fire by Kristin Cashore and have now started Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr.

Two excellent books. :Thumbs:

Like Mandarin. Only a few chapters in, but MH's writing has a really nice flow and rhythm. Enjoying it so far.

That's Wandergirl's book! And yes, it's beautiful.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score

I enjoyed Like Mandarin, but I LOVED Wanderlove. I have a feeling you will adore that one when you get to it. :)

Reading The Scorpio Races now. I'm really enjoying it and I "want" to be able to say that anyone who is a horse lover will enjoy it, but then I think that maybe horse lovers would pick up on something that I'm missing (or be offended by the carnivorous tendencies of the water horses). Anyone want to chime in? :)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Cinder. What a cliffhanger!
Can't decide whether to start on Ultraviolet or Possess.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Scorpio Races now. I'm really enjoying it and I "want" to be able to say that anyone who is a horse lover will enjoy it, but then I think that maybe horse lovers would pick up on something that I'm missing (or be offended by the carnivorous tendencies of the water horses). Anyone want to chime in? :)

As someone who rode horses for six years, I was impressed with Stiefvater's knowledge on the subject. (Maggie Stiefvater grew up with horses, I think, so she's familiar with them)

Actually, the stuff Stiefvater got wrong weren't the esoteric details of horsemanship, but the common sense stuff. It takes more than good feed and two weeks of conditioning to make an old pony fast enough to compete with speedy, demonic monster horses. At the very least, you'd have to use steroids.

I couldn't bring myself to love this book, largely because of my love of horses. Kate's actions in the book didn't make any sense to me. (Would you sympathize with a person who, say, entered their family pet in a dogfight?)

Overall, I thought this book expected far too much suspension of disbelief, and the characters' shoddy motivations didn't help either.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Reading DARKNESS BECOMES HER. I don't love the writing. It's very...I don't know she describes her breathing, heartbeat and other nervous ticks extensively. I also know exactly where it's going thanks to "foreshadowing." not sure if I'll finish it. But I like the voice.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton

The Hades/Persephone myth this references was both its strength and flaw. I liked the variation in the story but sometimes the mythology she was trying to create got in the way. I'll read a sequel though as the characters were portrayed well and were nice, even though they were complicated.

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Just read THE GATHERING STORM by Robin Bridges. I really liked the descriptions but I definitely think the book needed a family tree (SO many character names to remember!!!), and I also didn't like how clueless the main character could be sometimes. But i'll definitely read book two.

Recommended if you enjoy Anastasia (the movie), supernatural/paranormal creatures (vampires, zombies, necromancers), beautiful descriptions of balls/girly things, and girls who are strong heroines (i.e MC wanted to go to medical school!! In the 1800's... AWESOME! :))

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
NUMBERS by Rachel Ward

The gimmick of this story is that the protag can see the date people will die on when she looks at them. For most of the book, the gimmick doesn't intrude. The story is about the girl, whose mother OD'd and who has bounced from one foster home to the next, and another ne'er-do-well she befriends and how they run from trouble they get into. The story is well-written, the characters developed well and the style gritty and realistic despite the gimmick. Until the end, which ruined everything for me. Still this is an author I will keep an eye on.

BKwriter1124

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My first day posting :)

I just read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor. Loved it so much I went out and bought Lips Touch Three Times, also fantastic.

Her writing style is compelling and poetic. I've wanted to read Why We broke up for some time now. Has anyone read it?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just started SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE by Katie Dale, which is about a girl whose mother dies of Huntingdon's Disease. When she decides to have a test to see if she's got the disease too, she discovers that she was adopted and that everything she knows is a lie. It's a little over-written for me (my inner editor keeps stripping out unnecessary detail, dialogue tags etc) but I'll keep with it as it's a debut and the subject matter interests me.

MM

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My first day posting :)

I just read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor. Loved it so much I went out and bought Lips Touch Three Times, also fantastic.

Welcome to the forums!

I had the same reaction after reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone ... loved it and ordered her whole back catalog (or at least as much as I could find). I'm reading Blackbringer right now.

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
Read Cinder and Life Eternal, and really enjoyed both of them. Life Eternal moved slowly at first, but I couldn't put it down after the halfway mark.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
TEMPEST by Julie Cross-- this is actually the third or fourth time I've started this novel and could only get so far before losing interest. I think it's safe to call it a DNF now. *sigh* I tried.

How far did you get? I'm reading this one right now, and I actually really like it (although the style isn't anything to write home about.) It did take me about 3-4 chapters to get into it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.