What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through Girl of Fire and Thorns (Rae Carson)

Lovin' it!

P.S. Did not *love* The Book Thief. (I know... go ahead and crucify me now). I'd read Zusak's The Messenger first , which I absolutely loved.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading The Trouble with Spells by Lacey Weatherford. Admittedly, I've picked my last two YA's because they were free for my Kindle. But, I'm thinking I might have to read Divergent based on everything y'all have said.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The Book Thief seems to be the go-to YA book for book clubs. People who don't read YA usually keep asking me about it because of their book clubs. I haven't read it, but don't think I'd like it.

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished DIVERGENT and really liked it. I thought the world-building was somewhat flimsy, but I loved the characters. I couldn't put it down.

I'm reading THE TIGER'S CURSE right now. It's okay, but I'm finding the semi-love triangle pretty boring.

I didn't like THE BOOK THIEF either... the concept was fascinating, but I didn't like the style of writing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Loved THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS.

Now I'm reading THE NIGHT CIRCUS, which is not YA

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score

vintagegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Hunger Games a couple of days ago and had to wait until the bookstores opened again to buy Catching Fire, which I'm starting tonight. Ridiculously excited.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
just finished Hu$4, Hu$4 by BF and that is exactly how I will remain on my comments about this book except to say...QUE MIERDA!!!!!

Have a few awesome MSs to beta read, but next on my list for pubbed books is Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Have heard amazing things about this book.

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Hollowland by Amanda Hocking. I'm not the type who usually reads zombie books, but I wanted to read something she'd written. I enjoyed it a lot. She made the concept of zombies tenable. There was a little bit too much gore for me, but the characters kept me reading.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my first book of 2012: "Fairy Tale" by Cyn Balog.

Now I'm reading "Wicked Lovely" by Melissa Marr. :)

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
aaaannnnd... still slogging my way through ASH. Is it just me or does this book get unbelievably slow in the second half? I feel like I've read five books worth of words already, and I'm only at 75%. I'm also not quite sure what the main goal of the protagonist is. The plot isn't very clear, and this close to the end I should feel a stronger sense of urgency. But the story just flits about like a feather catching the occasional updraft...

I found it pretty slow going too. Thought the writing was beautiful, but the plotting wasn't really strong enough for my taste, and agree with you about lack of urgency. I never really felt I knew what the protagonist wanted.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through an ARC of THE GREAT AND DANGEROUS by Chris Westwood, which is probably more MG than YA. It's a horror/dark fantasy sequel to THE MINISTRY OF PANDEMONIUM, about two kids who work for a Ministry that guides souls to the afterlife and steers them away from dark beings intent on using souls for nefarious purposes. The first book was a lot of fun and the second book is shaping up to be an equally dark, fast and enjoyable read.

MM

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading for about the fifteenth time Cate Tiernan's Sweep series (Or Wicca Series - Depending where abouts in the world you are).
I read it a lot during my teenage years.
Our school library never had the complete collection so after much pestering by about 8, 13 year old girls they went out and bought it. I remember sitting on the grassed area behind the library, under the baby gum tree (Our groups hang out place) reading the book we had to miss all the times we had read the series.
We all squealed with delight when our favourite characters got together (Even though we aready knew they had from reading the next book in the series - but to see it unfold before our eyes was so grand).

Ahh, the memories. A time when life was grand, our biggest concern was homework deadlines and being grounded for skipping school - Which we did all too frequently.

Time travel anyone?

JC Emery

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcemery.blogspot.com
I'm starting both The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Firespell (A Dark Elite Novel) by Chloe Neill. I just caught up with Neill's adult supernatural series, Chicagoland Vampires, which was lovely, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she does with YA.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting on that box of books, so charging on with The Unidentified by Rae Mariz. Quite like it so far, though I think it flew under the radar because it's one of those books labeled dystopian when it really doesn't fit. Sort of Scott Westerfeld meets Cory Doctorow without the explosions and world saving.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Divergent. It lived up to the hype and I was thoroughly impressed. Now onto Katana by Cole Gibson. Reads a little young, but I'm only 2 chapters in. Its keeping my attention well.

Krissy Reynolds

Once Upon A Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Divergent by Veronica Roth for the second time and Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini for the first time.

Right now, I am in the very first pages of Die for Me by Amy Plum. Not sure if I am liking it, but I figure I just have to keep reading.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
aaaannnnd... still slogging my way through ASH. Is it just me or does this book get unbelievably slow in the second half? I feel like I've read five books worth of words already, and I'm only at 75%. I'm also not quite sure what the main goal of the protagonist is. The plot isn't very clear, and this close to the end I should feel a stronger sense of urgency. But the story just flits about like a feather catching the occasional updraft...

There are many other things I'm having issues with too, but I'll hold my tongue until I actually finish the book. Maybe something in the final chapters will change my mind.
I thought it was somewhat slow, too. It seems like the main character mostly reacted to things without doing anything, though, in her defense, she did seem pretty overwhelmed.
I arrived to gush about LEGEND. This is my first finished book of 2012 and I love it.
Action Girl MC. Oh yes. Smart, pretty, wilful and ambitious.
An actual plot. With actual action. And secrets. And twists and bang bang and chases. More, please.
Girl and boy as opponents locked in battle. Obsessive romance later. My favorite set-up 4ever.
Day is cute and sweet, so unlike the typical YA male lead, despite being thrice as cool and kickass. Also blond and long-haired, which is a plus in my book. XD
Abandoned skyscrapers with strange vines twisting all over them. Yes, please. Gimme more.
And the ending that's satisfying despite being a cliffhanger for book two, yes, that's possible.

One thing I didn't quite get, what level of tech development are they on? They seemed to have some very high-tech stuff but then steam power plants were mentioned.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading DAIRY QUEEN by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. I've already read the sequels, so probably nothing's going to surprise me, but I just love the voice.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through You Against Me by Jenny Downham (the author of Before I Die).

I also just bought Warm Bodies, a zombie book from the POV of a zombie, as I've heard really good things about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.