What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Fracture by Megan Miranda. A great read. If you were thinking about reading it, do!

Onto Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
And the romance also feels horribly contrived - the whole "We were like siblings until he got a bit taller and deeper-voiced in the summer and now every time he so much as touches my arm I go into a paroxym of lust and drooling and OMG I want to marry him and OMG I love him so much I've forgotten to write punctuation butthat'sokaybecausehe'llthinkformeandprotectmeandlookafterme...."

Haven't read that book, but I slightly just died a little, laughing at this.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Just finished up Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan. Teenage lovers on a ship carrying colonists from a presumably dead Earth to a place where they can settle and start anew. the ship comes up on their sister ship, which launched a few years ahead of them, and disaster ensues.

The book started off strong with some interesting characters (a girl who can think for herself, yeah) and some compelling situations but weakened by the end. It was still a good read but some basic inconsistencies kept it from being a great read. I will check out the sequel when it comes out.

#getting bored with dystopia

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been really enjoying Cat Patr1ck's FORG0TTEN, only to discover that it doesn't have a climax. Seriously. None. It just sort of fizzles out. Guess you have to pick up the sequel to find out if anything ever happens. Sigh.

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
Just finished up Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan. Teenage lovers on a ship carrying colonists from a presumably dead Earth to a place where they can settle and start anew. the ship comes up on their sister ship, which launched a few years ahead of them, and disaster ensues.

The book started off strong with some interesting characters (a girl who can think for herself, yeah) and some compelling situations but weakened by the end. It was still a good read but some basic inconsistencies kept it from being a great read. I will check out the sequel when it comes out.

#getting bored with dystopia

I picked that up in a bookstore and was "meh" after the first chapter. Might find it again anyways because I've heard good things about the female protagonist, like you said. But not so many good things about the two guys. :p

Anyways, I'm about to start Wither. After all these glowing reviews (haha) we'll see how I like it.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Looks like it's being cassified MG...but I think YA works too. I think Hannah Moskowitz actually has her own market!!! BROTHER FICTION. I'm reading Zombie Tag. 75% finished in one day. Love it! So poignant.

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young. Started reading last night and got about halfway through. Loving it. Hope to finish it tonight.

Feel the same as others about W1THER. I really enjoyed it as I was reading, mainly because DeStefan0 has such a lovely style, but the story didn't really stay with me once it was over. I'll read the next one though. (Once I get through my great wall of TBR pile).

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been really enjoying Cat Patr1ck's FORG0TTEN, only to discover that it doesn't have a climax. Seriously. None. It just sort of fizzles out. Guess you have to pick up the sequel to find out if anything ever happens. Sigh.
I've got this one to read. I did wonder, from the summary, what the climax would be. Now I know there isn't one!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading L$gend, and I must say it has one rare moment--the main male character is:
1) long-haired
2) blond
in a sea, no, an ocean of short-haired dark guys of YA. XD

I also tried to start reading Blo0d Red Road, but I found myself wanting to grab a red pen and fix the text. I know it's a style thing... maybe I need to restart it when my workload becomes lighter.

RaePot

Registered
Reaction score
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. I will always enjoy her writing style, though I was missing the usual snark her characters carry. Unusually the plots were all pretty predictable as well, aside from the ones that weren't answered in this book so I'll be looking out for the sequel. Still enjoyable though, but not as much as her previous series that I've read.

doubt

Registered
Reaction score
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. I will always enjoy her writing style, though I was missing the usual snark her characters carry. Unusually the plots were all pretty predictable as well, aside from the ones that weren't answered in this book so I'll be looking out for the sequel. Still enjoyable though, but not as much as her previous series that I've read.
I actually enjoyed Bloodlines much more than VA. I was getting pretty tired of Rose *sigh*.

I'm reading Glass Houses by Rachel Caine.
She should have just left the town....
but then there would be no book. XD

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just over half way through CLOCKWORK PRINCE by Cassandra Clare and it's really becoming a struggle now. There is a good story in there, but it's buried by the "I know/you know" conversations, purple prose, yearning looks and endless 19th century poetry appreciation (which I've got to say, is really getting on my nips now). Plus I'm a bit irritated by how beautiful everyone is. There are clearly no mingers or munters in 19th century Shadowhunter society.

MM

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
ASH by Malinda Lo.

Also, I'm finishing up the SPEAKING OUT anthology edited by Steve Berman (reading for review at the Gay YA blog). There are some seriously fantastic stories in here. This book far exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've got this one to read. I did wonder, from the summary, what the climax would be. Now I know there isn't one!

On reflection, I really did like FORG0TTEN. The protagonist is very likeable, I enjoyed the romance, and the mother and best friend were really well-drawn. It ended with a bit of a fizzle, but I might pick up the sequel in hopes that something will happen - it feels rather like a book cut in half.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
On reflection, I really did like FORG0TTEN. The protagonist is very likeable, I enjoyed the romance, and the mother and best friend were really well-drawn. It ended with a bit of a fizzle, but I might pick up the sequel in hopes that something will happen - it feels rather like a book cut in half.

According to the author's website, there are no plans for a sequel right now. Disappointing because I really liked it too and wanted more.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Future of Us. TBH the first chapter sucked big time, but it got much better. The premise seemed silly to start with but it's pretty interesting actually.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Glass Houses by Rachel Caine. She should have just left the town....
but then there would be no book. XD
Exactly my thought.

CLOCKWORK PRINCE has just arrived so I've only read a few pages. I have a soft spot for Jem so I think I'll enjoy it. I also got another YA anthology, Steampunk! I wanted a futuristic/SF/dystopian one but didn't find any.

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I finally had some time to read The Maze Runner which I started a few days ago. I couldn't put it down and I read it in one day. It was very telly and the writing wasn't spectacular but I loved the story. I also loved that the MC is a boy instead of a girl. It's also refreshing that the one girl in the story is a love interest that gets in the way of the actual story. I'm going to start The Scorch Trials when I get a chance.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Leviathan... it reads more like middle grade than YA, which is probably why I'm breezing right through it. And I like it okay, but... I prefer my YA to sound like YA.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Me too. Richelle Mead is one of my favourite authors and so I did like Bloodlines but definitely not as much as Vampire Academy. Rose was such a great protagonist! Plus we had Dimitri ;)

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading Black Blood, the second book in the Time Spirit trilogy by Melissa Pearl. I like even better than the first book--that doesn't happen too often.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
On the train home to my family for Christmas, so I decided to read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan for the season that's in it. ;)

Really enjoying it so far. It includes red Moleskines and the Strand. How could I not?

Status
Not open for further replies.