What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How are all of you people getting that book, lol? I realize it's probably ARCs, but so many people have read it already

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Finished S1sters Red, getting more and more annoyed as I went. There are werewolves. They are soulless monsters that used to be human. They have a special name, which is Fenris.
What’s the deal with calling them “wolves” and “animals” all the time? I bought a book about supernatural monsters, not a book about teens hacking up wild animals with knives. Seriously, every fight scene sounds like that. It goes from gory to simply repulsive.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I started, then abandoned, KILLING MR GRIFFIN. It didn't grab me, what can I say? (so now I'm reading GOLD DIGGERS by Tasmina Perry, which is fluff but still clever and funny).

Has anyone else read KMG - do you think I should persevere?

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
Finished THIRTEEN REASONS WHY this weekend. It was a slow start, but I enjoyed it. It was a creative premise (box of audiotapes that surfaced after a suicide). It very much felt like a book that an adult would want a younger person to read, which in some ways turned me off. It was well done though. Cheers to Jay Asher.

Just started SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson last night in bed. I'm probably 25 pages in, and it's obvious why there are so many awards listed on the back. Wow.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Witch Eyes. Very slow so far, and picked up for an LGBT YA online book club. I want to like it for that reason, but...it's sloppy. Hopefully it'll get better.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Finished THIRTEEN REASONS WHY this weekend. It was a slow start, but I enjoyed it. It was a creative premise (box of audiotapes that surfaced after a suicide). It very much felt like a book that an adult would want a younger person to read, which in some ways turned me off. It was well done though. Cheers to Jay Asher.

Just started SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson last night in bed. I'm probably 25 pages in, and it's obvious why there are so many awards listed on the back. Wow.

Agreed with you on Thirteen Reasons Why. And I loved Speak.

I just finished The Scorpio Races. Overall, I just wasn't able to suspend enough disbelief to appreciate it.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
How are all of you people getting that book, lol? I realize it's probably ARCs, but so many people have read it already

It was an ARC, Sage, but it was also out in Australia about a year ago or so. Not sure if Netgalley still has it.

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Legend by Marie Lu. I only had enough time to read the first two chapters yesterday so I'm hoping it will get better. Nothing has really popped out to me as being very original or enticing.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I started reading $HATTER ME. I'm only about 30 or 50 pages in and I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, the premise grabbed my attention immediately, there are many mysteries, and the writing voice can be beautiful at times. On the other hand, I have no emotional reaction to any of the characters, and I think gimmicky writing (like "I see 2 eyes 2 ears 1 nose I'm bored tired sad" and crossed-out words) is better suited for a short story, in a long novel it gets tiresome.

Is it me or is this thread going all critical lately? xd I remember I used to see pages and pages of "omg wow best book ever" here. :)

Jon King

less princes, more giant swords
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished "Stay" by Deb Caletti. It was amazing times infinity, I love love love love love love love love loved it. What made it so great was that the "bad guy" was her ex-boyfriend who'd become obsessive and stalkerish, forcing her and her father to run away from their home, but he exhibited traits that you see a lot in YA romance these days.

So it made me ask a lot of questions about perspective, and about how healthy or long-lasting the relationships in YA today really are. I love it when good books make me think! :D

Plus it had a hot, not insane guy in it. That helps.

On the other hand, I have no emotional reaction to any of the characters, and I think gimmicky writing (like "I see 2 eyes 2 ears 1 nose I'm bored tired sad" and crossed-out words) is better suited for a short story, in a long novel it gets tiresome.

Completely agree. I read that, and I never liked any of the characters. They weren't bad, it just got to the point where I didn't care about them.

Last edited:

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
I just started Legend by Marie Lu. I only had enough time to read the first two chapters yesterday so I'm hoping it will get better. Nothing has really popped out to me as being very original or enticing.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with that impression.

I'm currently reading Feed by M.T. Anderson, and it just might be the most brilliant thing I have read all year.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Just finished SHATTER ME and loved it. I thought the writing was a bit over the top in places, but I really liked the premise and I have an intense love for YA books that take on the obsessive/compulsive "love interest" trope and out it for how messed up it really is. The whole Juliette/Warner thing was great. Very excited for the sequel! :D

Last edited:

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
About to start Also Known As Rowan Pohi by Ralph Fletcher. I actually got it for my little brother as a birthday present, but he likes to discuss books with me and his birthday isn't for 2 more weeks. It looks really fun and I'm excited to read it.

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading School of the Ages: The Ghost in the Crystal by Matt Posner. It's really good - Harry Potter mixed with Percy Jackson with a much better writing style, in my opinion, plus - it's $2.99!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I started reading $HATTER ME. [...] I think gimmicky writing (like "I see 2 eyes 2 ears 1 nose I'm bored tired sad" and crossed-out words) is better suited for a short story, in a long novel it gets tiresome.

I think I've finally figured out what that book reminds me of. Did anyone here ever watch Firefly? Reading Juliette's POV is like reading a book narrated by River Tam. Short bursts are interesting, but over long passages the skewed perception overtakes what's actually being said.

And now... I am sadly bookless. I've got a stack of Amazon giftcards to upload and rectify this situation immediately. "Legend" is one I'm looking forward to reading.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've finally figured out what that book reminds me of. Did anyone here ever watch Firefly? Reading Juliette's POV is like reading a book narrated by River Tam. Short bursts are interesting, but over long passages the skewed perception overtakes what's actually being said.

You're right! I hadn't thought about it while I was reading, but yes, that's exactly what it was like.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Reading Juliette's POV is like reading a book narrated by River Tam. Short bursts are interesting, but over long passages the skewed perception overtakes what's actually being said.

nailed it.

riverscream.gif

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Forever, the final book in the Maggie Stiefvater series. I'm REALLY loving it. Loved the first one. Liked the second. Loving the third. But, I'll wait to see how it ends before I give my final opinion :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Froi of the Exiles and doing a happy dance. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished BEAUTY QUEENS. I loved it, though I loved the first half more than the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.