Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
One day I'm going to come in here and see that someone is reading MY book. (-;

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
After loving Rebecca L1m's M3RCY last week, I wasn't such a fan of Shannon D3lany's 13 TO L1FE (my review) or Kr1sti C0ok's HAV3N (my review). I want to stay up to date with the YA UF subgenre, but I'm getting thoroughly bored with colourless carbon-copies relying on the same tired old tropes. But every now and then a new book surprises and pleases me, so I stick at it. Here's hoping that the next book will be wonderful. :D

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I started The Goddess Test last night and I'm surprised by how much I'm liking it. Hades as a nice guy may not be accurate according to myth, but I kind of like this take on it. :)

Emberchyld

Hanging out in Medieval Castles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabelbandeira.blogspot.com
Starcrossed. Josephine Angelini. Gorgeous.

Isn't it? I loved that book. She just revealed the cover for Dreamless on her blog, too :)

I'm devouring The Mortal Instruments series and then I need to take a break from Cassandra Clare to read "Paranormalcy" and "The Hidden (Hollow Trilogy)" before starting in on the Infernal Devices...

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished SKELLIG by David Almond, which is just as excellent as people say it is - moving, powerful, haunting and beautiful.

To lighten up my mood, I've just started DIARY OF A WIMPY VAMPIRE 2 by Tim Collins. It's ADRIAN MOLE meets TWILIGHT with a pastiche of DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and the exploits of the lovelorn vampire Nigel are making me snigger.

MM

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading SLAM by Nick Hornby (of ABOUT A BOY fame). I knew I had to read one of his books after watching AAB - well worth a watch if you want to LOL at a young Tony from Skins UK, and this looked interesting. It's about teen pregnancy and skateboarding, and the main character, a fifteen yr old boy, has such a great voice, quite witty and made me laugh out loud several times when I was reading it in the library (I got a few funny looks from the librarians!). Reccommend it.

schamber

Dumas. Alexandre Dumas.
Registered
Reaction score
It's depressing, really, how amazing she is.

Well, SillyMom, if it makes you feel any better, I don't really think she's very amazing at all. Her results seem entirely obtainable by ordinary mortals. Some people think that the religiosity in her books is very subtle, but I think it's neither subtle nor artful. Once Was Lost and its pat conclusions about the Christian god made me angrier than I've ever been at a book. Also, the voice of her narrator is more or less the same in every single book. Annoying.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read "IF I STAY" in like 3 hours and had run out and get the sequel "WHERE SHE WENT". I'm a sucker for a love story. Loved the musical references too.

Just picked up "The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing." Jury's still out. It's definitely different.

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading my own ARC. I want to tackle something from my to-be-read-heaps, but there's little time in the day, and I'm gearing up to get this sequel done...but I just wanted to post here, because it's the only AW thread I seem to post in anymore. :D

The last I checked, you were frustrated about an old agent who wasn't interested in your Poe-esque idea. Now, I see an ARC. Way to go. (I'm in Jefferson County by the way.)

Did you check out NEVERMORE by Kelly Creagh? It's a Poe-themed work by a JCPS employee.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Not really a book, but I just read the first chapter of John Green's new one and it's great. Can't wait to read the rest.

Last edited:

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Not really a book, but I just read the first chapter of John Green's new one and it's great. Can't wait to read the rest.

I just read it and loved it too! It did make me think that if all teenagers were as smart and thoughtful as the teens in Green's books, I would never have stopped teaching high school.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Not too sure how I feel about the ending, but good book overall. Am I the only one who was a little annoyed with some of the POV's though?

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Not too sure how I feel about the ending, but good book overall. Am I the only one who was a little annoyed with some of the POV's though?

Okay, I have to ask -- how did you feel about the middle? Like basically from when the angel-dude showed up, on until it went into a flashback..?
That was the part that annoyed me the most >.< Up until then it felt so unique and interesting, but then suddenly she fell into the "I AM SUDDENLY IN LOVE WITH YOU UPON FIRST SIGHT" trope hardcore... >.>

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I just finished Maggie Stiefvater's THE SCORPIO RACES. I didn't want to finish it. I heard their accents as I read. I felt their horses' sides. I felt the damp, salty wind. This is a good, good book.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have to ask -- how did you feel about the middle? Like basically from when the angel-dude showed up, on until it went into a flashback..?
That was the part that annoyed me the most >.< Up until then it felt so unique and interesting, but then suddenly she fell into the "I AM SUDDENLY IN LOVE WITH YOU UPON FIRST SIGHT" trope hardcore... >.>

I thought Akiva's introduction was interesting. For me, that's when the pace of the book started to pick up. I did, however, roll my eyes when they were claiming their love for each other even before the big reveal. In regards to the POV, I just thought some of it was jarring and a little pointless (for example, Kaz's one chapter). Definitely a unique and interesting story though and I am eager to see where it goes.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Akiva's introduction was interesting. For me, that's when the pace of the book started to pick up. I did, however, roll my eyes when they were claiming their love for each other even before the big reveal. In regards to the POV, I just thought some of it was jarring and a little pointless (for example, Kaz's one chapter). Definitely a unique and interesting story though and I am eager to see where it goes.

I felt the same.

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
I just read it and loved it too! It did make me think that if all teenagers were as smart and thoughtful as the teens in Green's books, I would never have stopped teaching high school.

I watched John read the first chapter of THE FAULT IN OUR STARS on the Vlog. Never met the guy, but I feel like I should be on a first name basis with him. I loved his sensory details and they way that he wove the necessary backstory into the survivors group. I must say that my cynical 35-y-o male heart warmed a bit and I smiled at the very last scene of the window rolling down and the change of plans. What a great hook to leave readers with.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
The last I checked, you were frustrated about an old agent who wasn't interested in your Poe-esque idea. Now, I see an ARC. Way to go. (I'm in Jefferson County by the way.)

Did you check out NEVERMORE by Kelly Creagh? It's a Poe-themed work by a JCPS employee.

Yes, Kelly and I are actually in a crit group together!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally reading The Lost Hero, by Rick Riordan. I love the Percy Jackson series, but HATED The Red Pyramid (book 1 in his Egypt series), so I was hesitant to read this one. But it's awesome, so far!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished DIARY OF A WIMPY VAMPIRE 2: PRINCE OF DORKNESS by Tim Collins. It's a sequel mash-up of TWILIGHT and DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and I sniggered all the way through - particularly at an excruciating scene set in the school talent show where Nigel the Vampire's vampiric powers fail just before he's due to do a series of stunning backflips.

Have started THE HISTORY KEEPERS by Damian Dibben and it's really not working for me. It's a great idea - a secret society keeps history safe from people who want to change it for their own nefarious purposes - but the writing is so flat and 100 pages in, it's all been set-up to explain how and why time travel is possible. I also feel like the main character is merely going through the motions of what he should feel rather than is feeling and the POV head hopping is driving me nuts. Alex Scarrow's TIME RIDERS series uses the same idea in a more exciting way IMO.

MM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.