What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Bestest Ramadan Ever. It was okay, not stellar, but interesting and the voice was good.

Going to start Anna Dressed In Blood tomorrow. I'm psyched for this one. :)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Yeah I heard Night Circus was adult with cross-over appeal. Which is kinda funny because normally books are marketed the other way around. (From what I've noticed anyway).

Anna Dressed in Blood has been getting pretty rave reviews, hope you enjoy it, Adktd.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Bestest Ramadan Ever. It was okay, not stellar, but interesting and the voice was good.

Going to start Anna Dressed In Blood tomorrow. I'm psyched for this one. :)
Very excited to hear what you think about Anna!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished CHANGELING: ZOMBIE DAWN by Steve Feasey and it really left me disappointed. It was full of exposition, a character from a previous book was brought back and wasted and most of the story is told in expositional paragraphs rather than shown. The only thing I enjoyed was the depiction of the zombie apocalypse at Chelsea's football stadium. If the rest of the series hadn't been such a fast-paced read, I wouldn't have minded this but it really didn't deliver the climax that it deserved.

Am about to start THE MEMORY CAGE by Ruth Easham, which was nominated for a number of awards earlier this year.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
After reading a couple of rather lengthy and heavyweight adult novels more of less one after the another, I feel the need for something shorter and lighter. Let's hope Lucy Christopher's Flyaway fits the bill.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi, which is a very odd young adult book...because it's actually the fourth book in an ADULT series...really, it's more of an offshoot...or a retelling of the third book in the series from a teenagers POV.

It's amazing. But, then again, ALL of Scalzi's books are amazing.

And it's remarkable how relate-able the main character is. She's dealing with all the problems of teen years...boyfriend troubles, pushy (but still loving) parents, high school, imminent threat of alien invasion, tree dwelling indigenous werewolves with spears, and the fact that she's worshiped as a goddess by 9 billion alien hermaphrodites.

All normal teenage girl stuff.

Reesee

hope springs eternal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Ink Exchange but I don't like it as much as I did Wicked Lovely. I kind of want to skip to the third one where it picks back up with the characters from Wicked Lovely.

Jessykuh

Registered
Reaction score
I just got The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin this weekend. I haven't really read much yet but it seems interesting so far.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished THE MEMORY CAGE by Ruth Eastham, which was more MG than YA. It's very much an 'issue' book (the issues being Alzheimers, World War II and the Bosnian conflict of the 1990s) and at times it got a little heavy handed but the ending is very moving and it doesn't give in to easy answers.

I've just started HEIST SOCIETY by Ally Carter, which is pure hokum but I'm really enjoying it. It's basically THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR meets GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS for teens, with the female lead being a cool cross between the Rene Russo and Angelina Jolie characters but in a school uniform.

MM

Lizzy

Quiet but observant
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe I simply don't get it, but I kind of feel like it crumbled apart at the end. I loved the way it started, but then things just sort of happened and weren't explained at all. I'm fine with random paranormal stuff, but I at least like to know what the heck is going on.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Ink Exchange but I don't like it as much as I did Wicked Lovely. I kind of want to skip to the third one where it picks back up with the characters from Wicked Lovely.

That was my initial feeling with it too, though after having read #3 and #4 I think if I were to go back and re-read it that I would like it more. Marr does a good job at exploring secondary characters, and #3 does make a lot more sense if you've read the second one.

Jessykuh

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe I simply don't get it, but I kind of feel like it crumbled apart at the end. I loved the way it started, but then things just sort of happened and weren't explained at all. I'm fine with random paranormal stuff, but I at least like to know what the heck is going on.

I think I'm starting to understand what you mean. And I'm still only at the beginning. I really enjoyed the beginning. Then I stopped reading it after a few days and I just started reading it again yesterday and I feel like the part I started at, it was as if I was reading a whole new story. I was a bit confused. But I'm still interested enough to read on so I guess I'll see as I keep reading!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Finished HUSHED by Kelley York today.

mind = blown

Seriously one of the best books I've read this year.

As soon as I can get hold of that book, across the pond in England, I'm reading it. The whole serial killer MC thing is a rare thing in YA, and sounds pretty interesting - plus there's elements of that in my most recent MS.

I've just finished Z£LAH GR££N QU££N OF CL£AN by Van£ssa Curt1s, about a girl with OCD. A bit meh, really - short and probably upper-MG if anything. Interesting to read about someone with OCD though, seeing as I haven't been able to get my hands on COMPULSION yet (grrr).

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it just looked like a serial, not a series. I mean, it had one unfinished big plot ending with a cliffhanger, not a separate resolved plot with a bigger unresolved one hanging overhead.
I liked Noah a lot, though, it's so refreshing to have a LI who is not the strong silent alpha male type.
I've just started HEIST SOCIETY by Ally Carter, which is pure hokum but I'm really enjoying it. It's basically THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR meets GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS for teens, with the female lead being a cool cross between the Rene Russo and Angelina Jolie characters but in a school uniform.MM
Omg, hear the sound of running feet? That's me rushing to get this one. THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR is one of my ultimate favorite romance movies (the second one being Mr and Mrs Smith, heh, that's my idea of romance).
#
I'm reading Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Tailor. It's a collection of four stories, or at least that's my impression so far. I keep wondering whether the first story is going to get a full circle style pay-off in the last story. Because if it doesn't, then it would be a very strange kind of ending, not simply an open one, but like someone accidentally sliced off the last ten pages. The writing voice is certainly unique, I haven't read anything similar in YA yet.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished HEIST SOCIETY by Ally Carter and it's been a very enjoyable romp - sort of cross between OCEAN'S ELEVEN and THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR. The plot is pure hokum but it's fast any breezy and I'd definitely read the sequel.

I'm torn between SKELLIG by David Almond and DIARY OF A WIMPEY VAMPIRE 2: PRINCE OF DORKNESS by Tim Collins as my next read. I might go with the David Almond as it's one of those classics that I've shamefully never read.

MM

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished HUSHED by Kelley York today.

mind = blown

Seriously one of the best books I've read this year.
She's my fellow YAtopian blogger and I'm so proud of her! Glad you enjoyed it and I recommend EVERYONE read it.

I'm still slugging through The Pledge. Determined to finish.

Reesee

hope springs eternal
Registered
Reaction score

That was my initial feeling with it too, though after having read #3 and #4 I think if I were to go back and re-read it that I would like it more. Marr does a good job at exploring secondary characters, and #3 does make a lot more sense if you've read the second one.

Thanks for the tip!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading FORBIDDEN by Tabitha Suzuma.
I must say the idea that in some countries you can be sent to prison for having consensual sex with your sibling even if both of you are adults--it just boggles my mind. That said, I'm curious about the technical side. How would they prove it? Like, okay, imagine I have sex with my brother and our mean neighbour reports us to the police just because he doesn't like our loud music. Is such a thing enough to force us into undergoing medical tests (otherwise, there is no way to prove we had penetrative sex, even rape can be hard to prove, so...)? If yes, then every time some random prick says "hey, those two siblings had sex," said siblings need to prove their innocence or what? If no, then it's insanely hard to prove the occurrence of consensual incest, witnesses or no witnesses.
Getting back to the book, I keep thinking those two teens need to chill. Really. If they are going to get caught, it will be because they are so jittery and downright hysterical, they seem more suspicious than they actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.