What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Shabanu by Suzanne Fisher Staples last night. I really enjoyed it and thought it didn't try to gloss over the realities of growing up female in a traditional culture, while at the same time making Shabanu a believable character who was struggling against those constraints.

I've just started Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. First book I've read by her and enjoying it so far.

I'm taking a pause in the middle of my WIP while I try to figure out what's going to happen in the second half. Which means I have more time for reading than usual!

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - I'm really liking it so far (thanks DrummerGirl!).

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Just about to start Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Have heard good things, am looking forward to it! :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - I'm really liking it so far (thanks DrummerGirl!).

Love, love, love that book. One of my very favorites. And yep, I read it because of DrummerGirl. She has the best contemporary YA recs. :D

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Love, love, love that book. One of my very favorites. And yep, I read it because of DrummerGirl. She has the best contemporary YA recs. :D

Ditto this! Her blog is amazing!

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Another shout of praise for Graffiti Moon. What an absolutely awesome book!

I've been so busy this week that I've only gotten to finish one book. Fortunately, that one book was Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles, which I totally loved.

Also got to go on a rather lovely shopping spree on the weekend. I got: The Iron King, Sisters Red, You Against Me, Glow, XVI, Passing Strange, Starcrossed, and Incarceron. Which despite all its loveliness, leaves me with two problems: (1) I'm notorious for buying books faster then I read them, and (2) I'm always overwhelmed by how many I have to choose from. :)

Anyway, I suppose there are worse things out there. Now that my company has gone home I should have more time to devote to my "other" true love: books. :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some comparison of Graffiti Moon to Jellicoe Road. Fair comparison?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're very different, Sage. Both well-written, with fabulous characters, but very different.

For what it's worth, I like Graffiti Moon more.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score

I'm just about to start this one myself.

I just finished Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager, which was another DrummerGirl rec. I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise -- it has one of the ugliest covers I've seen on a YA novel. Everything is bad: the photo, the proportions, the crappy Photoshop work, the fonts.

Definitely glad I read the novel, but man, do I feel sorry for Eager. Nobody deserves that cover.

Cheers.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about to start this one myself.

I just finished Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager, which was another DrummerGirl rec. I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise -- it has one of the ugliest covers I've seen on a YA novel. Everything is bad: the photo, the proportions, the crappy Photoshop work, the fonts.

Definitely glad I read the novel, but man, do I feel sorry for Eager. Nobody deserves that cover.

Cheers.

Agree. Do not really like it and it doesn't draw me in in any way. Thank goodness it came so highly recommended (also from Nomes, though Adktd2bks lent me the book) because if I'd seen this book in a store, based on the cover I would have skipped it.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some comparison of Graffiti Moon to Jellicoe Road. Fair comparison?

Yes, what Smish said, they're very different. Graffiti Moon isn't quite as intense, but both are well written.

Meep! I actually really liked the cover for Raw Blue.

Started Red Glove by Holly Black last night and read way more than I should have. The first book in the series was quite slow to start, but this one picks up right away and kept me riveted until I had to go to bed or else suffer the consequences. I love the male voice and the character is so awesome. If you like bad boys trying to go good, you'll love him. :)

aeryn_g

Registered
Reaction score
Delurking...

I just finished Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey. Very nice debut.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Lola and the Boy Next Door. Not as great as Anna since it seemed to be more of a reconnection than a development of a relationship. So I felt a bit like I missed out on something - but still very, very good.

Moving on to Kai Meyer's Arcadia Falls what has to be my first German YA book in months ... (There are just too many great English YA books. ;))

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Anna Dressed in Blood. Very excited for this one.

ooh, I have this one on the way from Amazon, but I also have Goliath which I'm so excited about and The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I guess I'd better finish copyedits so I can curl up with a book (or three) next weekend!

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
There are so many good books! I've updated my to-read list. I just finished Thirteenth Child by Patricia Wrede, and right now I'm reading The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. I loved the former and am enjoying the latter, although the narrator seems to be hiding quite a bit of information...

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I FINALLY read The Hunger Games. Didn't plan on reading it, but after the fifth person suggested it to me, I felt like I had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.