What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE RAG AND BONE SHOP. Short but effective - the interrogator's methods were unnerving and uncomfortable to read about (to me, I felt sorry for poor Jason). It was a very 'claustrophobic' novel, and the ending was...unexpected, to say the least. Apparently Robert Cormier writes very bleak novels, and his protagonists rarely get their 'happy ever after'. I was reccommended it by a friend who said that his protagonists were as unlucky with life as mine!

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I was suppose to read Firelight, but decided to move that to next month.

I am suppose to be reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I will get back to that.

I am currently reading Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley and the chances of any of the books on my shelf getting in the way of that being finished are ridiculously small. I am hooked and this book is not letting go. :D

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Graffiti Moon is one of my very favorite books. I've read it multiple times.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.. I have about 15 books from the library waiting to be read. I've been working my way through Gone by Michael Grant for the past few months. I can't read just one book at a time, usually have 3 or 4 in rotation at once. Anyway, I finished the other 2 I was reading simultaneously and here I am again, still struggling to finish Gone. I'm not sure what to read alongside it. Maybe I'll return to Pretties, start Maze Runner, and...?!

Pealuh

DON'T PANIC
Registered
Reaction score
The last YA book I think I read was Enclave by Ann Aguirre, I loved it.

Has anybody read The Maze Runner by James Dashner?! Such a good series, I am going crazy for the last book to come out in October.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
The last YA book I think I read was Enclave by Ann Aguirre, I loved it.

Has anybody read The Maze Runner by James Dashner?! Such a good series, I am going crazy for the last book to come out in October.

Maze Runner is in my to-read stack from the library :) I was considering starting it tomorrow.

Edited to Add - Enclave is one I'm looking forward to as well. :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I am soooo close to being done with the Tomorrow series, if I could just wrestle the ipad out of the kids' hands.

Also I have White Cat by Holly Black to finish this weekend. It's interesting so far, but kind of confusing. I keep asking myself, okay, if they can't touch each other than does that mean they have sex with gloves on? *laughs at own joke and hopes others will join in*

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bestest. Ram4dan. Ever. was a pretty good read, but a Wise Reasonable Adult Voice kept creeping into the first person narrative. I kept wondering why the dorky and emotional fifteen year old girl kept turning into a child psychologist...until the end when I read that the author is a child psychologist. I dunno...do kid and teen readers pick up on that stuff? As a grownup reader, I was like STOP BEING SO CALM AND REASONABLE, FLIGHTY TEENAGER!

Pealuh

DON'T PANIC
Registered
Reaction score
Maze Runner is in my to-read stack from the library :) I was considering starting it tomorrow.

Edited to Add - Enclave is one I'm looking forward to as well. :)

I don't think you will be disappointed in either of them! Enclave especially, I really enjoyed it, especially because I had just finished reading The Hunger Games and was looking really hard for another dark and gritty YA novel.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished White Cat by Holly Black. It was a slow starter, but about 1/3 to midway through it really picked up and I loved the ending.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Finished Graffiti Moon. Even though I've read it, I'm still going to be asking for it as a valentines gift. The release date (now that I'm not *waiting* for it) could not suit the book better. In short: All around amazing!

Random question: Anyone know how I find out when they'll want me to post my review? (Got it through netgalley) Thanks

Now back to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which is very interesting too, but nothing was going to keep me from Graffiti Moon. ;)

lady_K

It's all about the F.A.M.I.L.Y :)
Registered
Reaction score
vampire academy (for the millionth time)

Blaze

Registered
Reaction score
Warriors, Omen of Stars. Fading Echos. The back says: Dovepaw now knows that she is the third cat prophesied to hold the power of the stars in her paws, and she, Jayfeather, and Lionblaze begin to work together to unravel the mystery of the ancient words. But dark threats loom just beyond the forest, preying on one cat's hidden jealousy and threatening the future of Thunderclan

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Graffiti Moon. Even though I've read it, I'm still going to be asking for it as a valentines gift. The release date (now that I'm not *waiting* for it) could not suit the book better. In short: All around amazing!

Random question: Anyone know how I find out when they'll want me to post my review? (Got it through netgalley) Thanks

Now back to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which is very interesting too, but nothing was going to keep me from Graffiti Moon. ;)

I think if you go under publisher approval preferences then you'll see the demands of that particular publisher, which honestly I keep forgetting to do before I post. Oops.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I read Elizabeth Scott's Between Here and Forever yesterday. Aside from the extreme overuse of the dash, and the fact that Abby was slightly annoying and had zero self esteem, I really enjoyed it.

MadSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
meganayscue.blogspot.com
I am reading Joan Slonczewski's The Highest Frontier, which is...kind of YA? It's really that border between YA and New Adult/Adult/something. The character JUST started college. So far, kind of confusing, but Joan Slonczewski's books always end up awesome so I'm holding in there.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies. So far so good. A little predictable, but I like it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've started THE FEAR by Charlie Higson, which is the third in his zombie novel series and it's as brutal and scary as the last two. Fab - I love it! He kills all your favourite characters. He's like an abusive parent, but in a good way.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm halfway through ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, but I left the book at work, and it's due back at the library on Tuesday, so I'm just going to call it a DNF. It was a fine book, but I didn't really fall in love with it the way so many other people have. I liked it enough that I would have made an effort to finish it if I had time (and the physical book during that time), but it's not really going to bug me if I don't finish it.

Next up will be WHITE CAT by Holly Black

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
SAVING FRANCESCA by Melina Marchetta. (I love her, and don't know why I didn't pick this up before)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through ORDINARY PEOPLE. Brilliant, especially Conrad's chapters. And it shocked (heh) me too - I didn't know that as late as the 1970s, they were electric-shocking people (including sixteen-yr-olds!) with mental health problems... goes to show how the world's changed in the last 40-odd years :/

Status
Not open for further replies.