What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cece N

Half-way there, but need more time.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Cold Magic by Kate Elliot. It took a while (page 60, I think) before the action finally kicked in. But it's a 502 page book maybe thats why. It felt too long for me to get into it, but when it did, I couldn't put the book down.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm reading SWEETLY by Jackson Pearce and POSSESS by Gretchen McNeil. Also...waiting for WITCH EYES by Scott Tracey to arrive in the mail.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Past Perfect by Leila Sales. Loving the voice - 40 pages in and I find myself laughing out loud. :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Big Girl, Small.

Overall, I thought it was really well done, but the overarching plot thread felt kind of sketchy. Character information was left a bit sparse beyond physical details, and the main "antagonist" was really transparently the "bad guy". Like, i could tell from the instant he was introduced.

Also, apparently the word "bisexual" does not exist in this novel's universe.

But, still, it was pretty good.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
About to start The Sky is Everywhere

Just finished Numbers: The Chaos Didn't care for it much. The first book in the trilogy held true to its premise, but I felt really cheated out of the ending on this one.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Numbers: The Chaos Didn't care for it much. The first book in the trilogy held true to its premise, but I felt really cheated out of the ending on this one.
See, I felt the first one didn't really hold true to its premise. The description of the book only covers the beginning and the rest is about running from the law.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
See, I felt the first one didn't really hold true to its premise. The description of the book only covers the beginning and the rest is about running from the law.

True, but the first one didn't change the rules in the last 2 pages. :D

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
About to start The Sky is Everywhere

I love that book. :) I hope that you enjoy it.

I finished The DUFF. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad that I picked it up. I'm not totally sure Wesley would be my cup of tea, but he seemed an even match for Bianca and by the end of the book I felt that they really deserved each other. (I mean that in the nicest way possible.)

I think one of the things that I like most about this book is that there really isn't any clear cut "villain". There are points within the story where pretty much every character shows "good" and others where they show "bad".

(Spoiler: So relieved she didn't stay with Toby. He drove me up the wall (in a bad way). If a guy makes you feel like you need to mold yourself to fit him, you're likely better off without him. I will say that I like the fact that it was never suggested or implied that Toby wanted her to do this. It was Bianca's perception of him that made her behave that way. In contrast, the level of comfort she realizes she has with Wesley is a good indication that they go well together.)

Anyway, it's late and I'm rambling. I'll save this stuff for the review. ;)

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of spoiler-y. Maybe in the future you could put the spoilers in white text that can be highlighted? Or at least put a big, bold SPOILER ALERT in there or something?

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I just read Gretchen McNeil's POSSESS and after that WITCH EYES by Scott Tracey (think Gay Romeo and Juliet with Witches pretty much hits the nail on this one and it was awesome). :D

Now I really can't put off some school reading anymore, so I guess it's a little bit of temporary tediousness for me, before I get back to my Dresden Files re-read. ;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Just about to start Bloodlines by Richelle Mead!!! =D

Saw a big poster of this book on the subway yesterday. I thought it was cool to see a book advertisement. Something you don't see every day.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw a big poster of this book on the subway yesterday. I thought it was cool to see a book advertisement. Something you don't see every day.

Inorite? Except on the tube in London, where they have LOADS of book ads up everywhere. It's neat but it always makes me a little sad to compare with the dummy subway riders we have here in LA, where every ad is either for career college or sugary beverages.

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score

Within the last year (approximately), I've started seeing book ads on the Toronto subway. I only see them occasionally, but it's still cool to see them instead of ads for TV shows, diet pills, or junk food.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Divergent. I thought it became a much, much better book than it initially started. It held my attention from the beginning, but some beginning parts felt a little too absurd.

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished UNCOMMON CRIMINALS and liked it quite well. I think one of Ally Carter's greatest strengths is her pacing; the whole thing just hurtles along, and you wind up as breathless as Kat by the end of it all, but in a good way.

Starting THE GIRL IN THE STEEL CORSET. I have this nagging feeling I may have tried to start it already, but I don't remember actually reading it; in any event I am loving the opening scenes. Some nice worldbuilding flourishes, and enough period accuracy to make me purr. Looking forward to the rest of it.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little more than 100 pages into BOY TOY by Lyga, and I'm liking it more than I did HERO TYPE.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Reading POISON STUDY by Maria V Snyder. So far I'm loving it. I keep seeing reviews for the other two books telling me they aren't nearly as good, so I might ignore those and just stick with this one.

Gave up on CLOCKWORK ANGEL because I have issues reading about Magnus being with someone who is not Alec. Just me. Was a good book from what I read of it. Definitely better than freaking CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS.

Status
Not open for further replies.