What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Wither by Lauren DeStefano. I really enjoyed the prose, but the world building left much to be desired. Actually my favorite character was probably the least likeable - because she was so unlikeable.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to AW but not to YA books. Right now I'm reading "First Knight" by Tamora Pierce.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about to start Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams. I bought it in Australia last September and it's finally reached the top of the to-read pile. That was one of several Aussie YA recommendations I solicited (hi, DrummerGirl) before I went, but in the end I just bought this one and one other - Melina Marchetta's Looking for Alibrandi, for the record. Australian books are expensive.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about to start Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams. I bought it in Australia last September and it's finally reached the top of the to-read pile. That was one of several Aussie YA recommendations I solicited (hi, DrummerGirl) before I went, but in the end I just bought this one and one other - Melina Marchetta's Looking for Alibrandi, for the record. Australian books are expensive.

First, I am so jealous you got to go to Australia. :) And second, yes, they are. There are a bunch I want to get that I can't order here in the US - to order them would raise the price to about 30$ a book. But both of those you mentioned are available internationally. *scratches head a bit puzzled*

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab. I'm liking it so far.

I got bored with the adult book I was reading, lol

So I went to Border's today to check out their sale. I had an idea the discounts would be huge and a list of 20 or so YA books I wanted to get... The young adult books were only 10% off. So, yeah, I didn't end up going on my much anticipated book-shopping spree. It's sad, but even on sale many of the books there are still more expensive (or at most, the same price) than they are at Barnes & Noble (where I usually shop). I'm thinking I'll wait just a little longer and see if the discounts increase. Hopefully they'll still have some books left by that time.
The really big sales happen in the last week. The last day, everything will be 90% off (or $1 if they're more expensive that that). The day before that, they'll be twice that price. The week leading up to that, they'll be 70%. But it's all going to depend on the store whether there's anything left to get. One of our Borders was pretty much cleared out by their last day, but the day before I picked up a great selection of adult SFF books (YA was pretty much gone for the last month). The other Borders had kinda hidden the YA/MG books to the side, and had a semi-decent selection in that last week.

The sales at the beginning are pretty sad, especially since you can't use coupons (which were still being e-mailed to me at the time, though I assume they've stopped since everything's closing) which would take more off.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Epoch by Timothy Carter. A nice little tale of the coming apocalypse!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
First, I am so jealous you got to go to Australia. :) And second, yes, they are. There are a bunch I want to get that I can't order here in the US - to order them would raise the price to about 30$ a book. But both of those you mentioned are available internationally. *scratches head a bit puzzled*

Beatle Meets Destiny had a UK edition after I came back home... It has a single, one-star, review on Amazon UK. :(

As far as I can tell, only one Melina Marchetta novel has been published in the UK (Saving Francesca), though US editions of the others can be bought from Amazon UK. This was her first novel and I'd seen the film version (I have it on DVD) so I thought that would be a good place to start as I hadn't read her before.

I bought just those two partly because they had reduced prices in the Sydney bookshop I went to - if money had been no object I'd have bought several others.

I'm enjoying Beatle Meets Destiny so far. It would make a good movie, I think.

Oh and I'd wanted to go to Australia for about thirty years before I did it. It was much more expensive than I'd anticipated, partly due to the crap exchange rate, but I enjoyed my visit to Melbourne and Sydney. I'd go back in a shot, but unless I win the lottery it won't be for a few years.

Last edited:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Beatle Meets Destiny had a UK edition after I came back home... It has a single, one-star, review on Amazon UK. :( Boo.

As far as I can tell, only one Melina Marchetta novel has been published in the UK (Saving Francesca), though US editions of the others can be bought from Amazon UK. This was her first novel and I'd seen the film version (I have it on DVD) so I thought that would be a good place to start as I hadn't read her before. Ah, I see. I just knew that they were available from the Book Depository when I wrote my post. Wasn't really thinking about different editions. I love MM, Jellicoe Road is my favorite YA book now.

I bought just those two partly because they had reduced prices in the Sydney bookshop I went to - if money had been no object I'd have bought several others.

I'm enjoying Beatle Meets Destiny so far. It would make a good movie, I think. I somehow recall that it was optioned for film, though that doesn't mean much.

Oh and I'd wanted to go to Australia for about thirty years before I did it. It was much more expensive than I'd anticipated, partly due to the crap exchange rate, but I enjoyed my visit to Melbourne and Sydney. I'd go back in a shot, but unless I win the lottery it won't be for a few years. I'd really like to go there, but it's probably not tops on my husband's list of foreign countries to visit which means that I'm more likely to see Europe first. Like I said before, I is jealous. :)

:)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Started Between Shades of Gray. 50 pages in and I can tell this is going to be a tear-jerker.

LeafintheBreeze

Registered
Reaction score
The really big sales happen in the last week. The last day, everything will be 90% off (or $1 if they're more expensive that that). The day before that, they'll be twice that price. The week leading up to that, they'll be 70%. But it's all going to depend on the store whether there's anything left to get. One of our Borders was pretty much cleared out by their last day, but the day before I picked up a great selection of adult SFF books (YA was pretty much gone for the last month). The other Borders had kinda hidden the YA/MG books to the side, and had a semi-decent selection in that last week.

The sales at the beginning are pretty sad, especially since you can't use coupons (which were still being e-mailed to me at the time, though I assume they've stopped since everything's closing) which would take more off.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured it would be something like that.

The YA/MG section is right in the center of this store, so I don't have much hope there'll be anything left by the time discounts are that high, but I'll keep checking from time to time. There's another, bigger, Borders about a half hour from here, so I'll have to check that one out too.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Got a bunch of great arcs and freebie books at ComiCon! LEG3ND by Marie Lu, DARK INSIDE by Jeyn Roberts, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE by Laini Taylor, NIGHTSHADE by Andrea Cremer, INFINITY by Sherrilyn Kenyon, HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne, and about fifteen more...

Can't wait to dig in! I am SO conflicted about what to try first! Gack!

Too much of a good thing? ;)

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
*coughDaughterofSmokeandBonecough*! ... but only cause I haven't read Legend yet so I'm biased ;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Just finishing up Karsten Knight's Wildefire. LOVING IT. I don't want to finish...

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Got a bunch of great arcs and freebie books at ComiCon! LEG3ND by Marie Lu, DARK INSIDE by Jeyn Roberts, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE by Laini Taylor, NIGHTSHADE by Andrea Cremer, INFINITY by Sherrilyn Kenyon, HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne, and about fifteen more...

Can't wait to dig in! I am SO conflicted about what to try first! Gack!

Too much of a good thing? ;)

Another vote for Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Loooove Laini Taylor's writing.

My friend went to Comic-Con and I sent her with a list of YA ARCs and freebies I was hoping she could pick up. Most of them she couldn't find. The best one I got was Nightshade. The other ones I got were -- sigh -- the Vampire Academy graphic novel and Tyra Banks's Modelland (which is over FIVE HUNDRED PAGES long. Huh?).

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Josephine Ang3lini's STARCR0SSED. Eh. Heavily inspired by TWILIGHT, complete with a family of super strong, super fast, super hot, super awesome people who carry the protagonist around and watch her while she sleeps (and won't let her go anywhere without permission ...). Plus there are way too many of them. I'll be impressed if anyone can keep track of this many generically perfect mythologically named descendants of Greek gods. There's Jason, Ariadne, Hector, Lucas/Paris, Cassandra, Castor, Pallas ... there's another one, I swear ... Pandora? And maybe some others? Ajax, Tantalus, Daphne ... the only one I remember is the generically evil one.

On a separate note, can anyone recommend me any YA UF school stories? Protagonist goes to a weird school, weird stuff happens. Harry Potter, Vampire Academy, House of Night, etc.

Last edited:

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Okay, I'm behind on my reading.

I started Bite Club by Rachel Cain awhile back, put it down cause it annoyed me, read something else, and now I am back, forcing myself to finish it.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
On a separate note, can anyone recommend me any YA UF school stories? Protagonist goes to a weird school, weird stuff happens. Harry Potter, Vampire Academy, House of Night, etc.

Hex Hall was cute! :) And the sequel Demonglass is already out.

I saw one called, Unnatural, about angels, fallen angels and whatnot--they have to go to a special school--girl caught between two boys--pretty cliche. Couldn't get past page three but if it's for research purposes...

Lnlee

Reading and writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lylawrites.blogspot.com
I'm reading Everfound (the last book in the trilogy! EEP!). So far, it's even more epic and awesome than the previous books. Neal Shusterman never fails to amaze me.

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
I haven't been here in such a long time! God, I missed this thread.

Recently, I loved My Invented Life by Lauren Bjorkman. It was such a delightful and engrossing read.

Also liked Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler. Was looking forward to that for a long time and yeah, it lived up to that.

One book that really disappointed me was Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands And Teeth. I really wanted to love it but I never even ended up liking it. No complains about the writing but damn, the characters. I have never come across such bland and boring characters. None of the teens spoke like teens and there was not one that I liked. The only reason I finished it was 'cos I hate leaving books unfinished.

Oh, I also read Spells by Aprilynne Pike, which was okay. Not very fond of the series, but once I start a series I feel like I have to finish it, so.

Currently reading Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. It's contemporary and historical juxtaposed and the plot and concept has me very intrigued. So far, liking the way it's going. The writing's crisp and edgy.
Jennifer Echol's Love Story arrived in my mailbox today and I can't wait to read that. It looks so good.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Long time no, I know, but I picked up The Last Little Blue Envelope, and I'm part way through, I felt the need to gush that I am reading and loving this book.

I just finished Maureen Johnson's The Name of the Star, which was majorly ace, too, and next I'm going to be reading Libba Bray's Beauty Queens. I am in book heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.