Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I just finished Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen, as well as finished Along for the Ride by her this weekend.

I like Sarah's novels, but man are they always painfully slow to start. Keeping the Moon was especially so, I mean I was starting to wonder if there was even a point to the novel. But she does manage to pull it all together in the end, which is good.
Not sure what is next up yet :)

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
i dont read YA much... but i read something a while ago i loved... it was called THE IRON DRAGON'S DAUGHTER
anyone aware of this book? would it be considered YA?

Michael Swanwick! I read that. It was stupendously awesome. :D

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen, as well as finished Along for the Ride by her this weekend.

I like Sarah's novels, but main are they always painfully slow to start. Keeping the Moon was especially so, I mean I was starting to wonder if there was even a point to the novel. But she does manage to pull it all together in the end, which is good.
Not sure what is next up yet :)

I've only read The Truth About Forever, which a lot of people seem to love (and many people recommended it to me as "Sarah Dessen's best book"), but I didn't really like it. It wasn't awful, but it was too slow for me and the characters weren't memorable. I doubt I'll read any more of her novels.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Putting Makeup On The Fat Boy. The voice was a little meh at the beginning, but it grew on me and it was a fun little story with a great protagonist. I have to say that makeup is of supreme disinterest to me, but this book was highly entertaining.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I've only read The Truth About Forever, which a lot of people seem to love (and many people recommended it to me as "Sarah Dessen's best book"), but I didn't really like it. It wasn't awful, but it was too slow for me and the characters weren't memorable. I doubt I'll read any more of her novels.

You know what, I think all her novels are slow. But, I figured I would keep giving her a chance lol hoping that there is that one "diamond in the ruff" so to speak.

So I have a few more of her's on my TBR list. Though I think for now I will go back and finish Bite Club by Rachel Caine.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished AUGUST by Bernard Beckett, who also wrote GENESIS. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it yet. It wasn't anything like I thought it would be, yet I'm finding it difficult to let it go. It's powerful and very well written.

Areis

32 flavors and then some
Registered
Reaction score
Just read and reviewed two YA books I absolutly loved!
Hourglass by Myra McEntire
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

I also just bought from Borders to read:
White Cat
Nightshade
Looking for Alaska
The Truth about Forever

Starting Nightshade at the moment!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
You know what, I think all her novels are slow. But, I figured I would keep giving her a chance lol hoping that there is that one "diamond in the ruff" so to speak.

So I have a few more of her's on my TBR list. Though I think for now I will go back and finish Bite Club by Rachel Caine.

Her novels are very slow. She puts way too much backstory in the first few chapters, but I really like her characters. I've gotten so that I know what to expect from her books now and I tend to prepare myself until I'm in the mood for her style of writing. The one I liked best so far was Just Listen - made me cry. A couple of her others I could take or leave.

Almost done with Revolution. It's LONG, but it's very good. Prose is well done (as well as the history) and there have been a number of times that I got all teary.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished DIARY OF A WIMPY VAMPIRE by Tim Collins, which had me sniggering throughout. Definitely worth checking out and I'll read the sequel.

Not sure what I'm going to read next, too many books to choose from.

MM

L_Swann

Registered
Reaction score

Ah, I've noticed this with Sarah Dessen's books. I'm one of those readers who prefers giant, sweeping, save-the-world kinds of books. I loved Potter and The Hunger Games. Twilight is still kinda "save the world," in that Bella's world was Edward & her love for him and she was willing to do anything to save it.

I think that's why I'm not particularly enthralled with contemporary YA. It's just so boring. I don't want to read about school, or friends, or everyday problems. If I wanted to know more about that, I'd go deal with my own issues.

I do try to make room for the quiet contemporary fiction book, though.

And, as a caveat, I don't include contemporary "issue" books in my mental category of "contemporary fiction." Issue books, like Thirteen Reasons Why, should be read because they're important. I'm fortunate to lead a life that isn't filled with "issues," and I think it's important for me to read about others who struggle with various things in order to empathize with them. But that's entirely different from a quiet, contemporary book like The Truth About Forever.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
So I finished Del1rium. Craziest thing: I felt so-so about Before 1 Fall and wasn't totally convinced about the world-building in Delir1um-- BUT, there was something about this book that I sort of, actually no- completely... loved. And not just the kickASS final scene, either. Still mulling on that one. But yeah, LOVED.

Also read Food, G1rls and other Th1ngs I Can't HavE by Allen ZasdofF. It seemed a little cliche, but it was an entertaining read.

And then finally read Th1rteen R3asons Why (am I the only one bugged by the redundancy of that title?). I could have done with WAY less of the narrator's two cents-- I actually ended up skipping over it to get to Hannah's monologue.

On to How to Say Goodbye in Robot.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
So I finished Del1rium. Craziest thing: I felt so-so about Before 1 Fall and wasn't totally convinced about the world-building in Delir1um-- BUT, there was something about this book that I sort of, actually no- completely... loved. And not just the kickASS final scene, either. Still mulling on that one. But yeah, LOVED.

Finally, someone else who loved DEL1RIUM! I was starting to wonder if I was going nuts. It's the first YA dystopian that I absolutely loved after THE HUNGER GAMES. I thought it was great.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Big Mouth & Ugly Girl - Joyce Carol Oates

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved White Cat. Very much looking forward to reading more of the series.

Next, I think I'm reading Hush, hush.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a quarter of the way through LIBERATOR by Richard Harland, which is a steam punk story set in an alternate history where Napolean invaded England leading to revolution and the evolution of moveable cities (think Phillip Reeves' Traction Cities in his MORTAL ENGINES quartet). It's a sequel to WORLDSHAKER, which I haven't read but on the basis of what I've read of LIBERATOR I'm minded to check it out because the story of LIBERATOR relates to a revolution in a moveable city called Liberator (formerly called Worldshaker) that's resulted in the underclass Filthies taking control over the ruling class Swanks. The revolution hasn't gone well though as there's a sabateur on board trying to stop them from progressing and as a result, many Filthies blame the Swanks. I like the sense of disillusionment on the part of the MC (a Swank called Col who helped the Revolution take place but has received no credit for it and who finds himself increasingly estranged from the Filthie he helped and who he loves) and although the story (so far) is a little predictable, it's well paced and well depicted.

MM

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Half way through Everlasting by Alyson Noel, who i just met this last weekend. She was sooo nice and signed all 8 of my books i have :) Got a photo, and everything. Haha i was buzzing!

Daisywitch

Registered
Reaction score
Really love Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire series, so I've decided to check out some of her other stuff. Have just picked up Ill Wind the first in her Weather Warden series.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Han Nolan - Send Me Down a Miracle (I'm having a hard time getting into it. Gonna give it a few more pages.)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Duff--not my usual type of book but I enjoyed it :)

And the witches of east end by Melissa de la Cruz--technically an adult book but it has some of the same characters from Blue Bloods and has a similar feel to that series--just with adults and slightly more explicit sex scenes. Anyway, it was a great book. Good worldbuilding and mythology. I'm ready for the sequel now!

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I just finished Catching Fire and I have Mockingjay on hold and I think I'm looking like every 5 minutes to see if the status has switched from in transit to on the hold shelf.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting on The Hunger Games to come in from the library

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves. There's so much about it that I want to love, but I think I may have to set it aside for a little to let the last book I read (Don't Breathe a Word, not YA but damn good!) work its way out of my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.