What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I had problems with the bickering too, possibly because the voices all sounded about the same and for a while that's all that was going on.

It's classified as regular contemp? I would call it contemp fantasy too.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, look at the covers, both have photos of three girls grinning or pouting, and lauren myracle blurbs. And the title implies the same. That cover says SISTERS! LOVING AND FIGHTING AND FACING THE TRAVAILS OF HIGH SCHOOL! It does not say THREE GIRLS DEVELOP SUPERPOWERS! Maybe because it doesn't have fantasy tropes like Magic School or Chosen Ones or War Of Good Vs Evil...or maybe just because her first novel is solidly contemp YA and the publishers wanted to keep that audience. Either way it's fantasy that they assume contemp fans will like.

But yeah, reading minds, turning invisible, seeing the future--seems like it's fantasy. In the author talk I saw, she was saying it's realistic but with only one single fantastical element (magic powers). And she thought it was equivalent to her first book having only one fantastical element (ex-boyfriend writes a song about MC and it becomes a mega-super-hit and ruins her life). Thought to me Extraordinary Secrets is clearly fantasy, marketing plan notwithstanding, and Audrey, Wa1t! is not at all (cuz it's merely improbable and not impossible).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have the ARC version that I won in a giveaway (I mean I also have the real version because it will be in a future giveaway, but I didn't read the cover 'cuz I already read the book), and the description must have been different...or possibly the blog's description of the book.

There are tons of books right now in the YA section that you can't tell whether they're fantasy/paranormal or contemp by the descriptions. It's very annoying. When I grabbed those 77 books from Borders on their last day, there was no categorizing of them and I didn't really care because I knew I'd be giving away a majority of them eventually anyway. But when I went to read the backs or jacket copy, there were so many that I couldn't tell if they were fantasy or not. Something like a description that talks about the character who moves to a new town and doesn't fit in until she meets a guy, and then ends with, "But then she finds out the boy's secret," could mean he's a vampire, or it could mean he's a murderer, or it could mean he's a figment of her imagination, or it could mean he's gay... who knows? And there were so many books with that kind of description. If I don't come in knowing whether it's fantasy or contemp, how can I figure it out from the jacket anymore?

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I confess: Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer wasn't actually bad. It's a quick and easy read. Not groundbreaking, but generally fun.

I'm loving The Knife of Never Letting Go, though. I'm glad I follow this thread, because I never would have picked it up otherwise.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I follow this thread, because I never would have picked it up otherwise.

QFT

I can't even begin to count all the excellent books I've read because of this thread. You guys are awesome.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I find out more about books from this thread than any other

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving The Knife of Never Letting Go, though.

I'm listening to the audiobook of this at the moment and the reader (Nick Podehl) is fantastic, really bringing Todd's voice to life. And Manchee's gruffy voice too, of course. I keep getting funny looks whenever I start giggling on the bus, sitting there with my headphones on. Poo, Todd! :D The echo effect on the 'Noise' is cool too.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving The Knife of Never Letting Go, though. I'm glad I follow this thread, because I never would have picked it up otherwise.

This series is so freaking good. I'm reading the last book right now. (This, from someone who can't even count how many series/trilogies she's started on and couldn't be bothered to finish.)

And I agree about this thread-- it is gold. :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Midnighters #1 from Scott Westerfeld yesterday. I actually liked it better than his Uglies series. It kind of had a Twilight Zone feel for me (that's Hitchcock's Twilight, not SM). It's very tame, almost MGish. I'm trying to convince my 10 yr old read it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm listening to the audiobook of this at the moment and the reader (Nick Podehl) is fantastic, really bringing Todd's voice to life. And Manchee's gruffy voice too, of course. I keep getting funny looks whenever I start giggling on the bus, sitting there with my headphones on. Poo, Todd! :D The echo effect on the 'Noise' is cool too.
Ooh, I'm always looking for audiobook recs

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I'm reading The Vampire is Just Not That Into You by Vlad Mezrich.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know it's satire but I can't help but get this feeling that a certain few are going to take this thing literally. Kind of scary.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Okay, so I broke my rule. I usually always read the book before watching the movie, however, today my husband really wanted to watch I Am Number Four.
Well, I must admit I was actually enjoying the movie, until the end at which point I had a WTF moment, because I was left with so, so many questions and felt I didn't get near enough answers.
So now I am torn, do I read the book? (which I was only going to do because soooo many people hated it lol) or do I just leave this one alone. I have this feeling the book isn't going to be much better, or give me anymore answers.
Hmmm, maybe with my luck I'll find it at a used store or in a bargain bin at my bookstore :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read the book if you feel compelled to do so, Alisha. But don't buy it. It's probably at the library.

I'd hate for you to waste your money. :D

harmfulsweetz

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Crescendo and Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick-I really enjoyed both, though Crescendo was a slight let-down because she made Nora Grey rather dumb (imo) and dragged out a lot of the plot line, when it may have been better if more happened during the book, instead of a huge rush at the end.

I'm trying to get into Fallen by Lauren Kate-had it in my pile for a long time, though I have loads of books in my tbr pile, but am struggling with it. Maybe it'll get better as time goes on.

Would really reccommend Hush, Hush though, but I'm probably late to that party. :)

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
So now I am torn, do I read the book? (which I was only going to do because soooo many people hated it lol) or do I just leave this one alone. I have this feeling the book isn't going to be much better, or give me anymore answers.

Trust your feelings -- the book isn't any better, and isn't going to give you more answers. Save your money *and* your time!

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I just finished ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS. It was... okay. I think that because so many people recommended it as hilarious with a strong voice, I was really expecting something that would blow me out of the water. But it was just... eh, for me. Personally. Could've survived without it, but it was still nice to read just because so many people talk about it.

Right now, reading THE BOOK THIEF. Beautifully written so far, the beginning was emotional but it was a little quiet for me. The pace is definitely picking up now, though.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Reluctantly reading MOVING OUT by Kate Cann - reluctantly because I can tell it's all going to end badly, and I don't want it to - and also because it's obvious who the MC should really be going out with *rolls eyes*

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale the other day. I read it far too fast, because I was enjoying it too much to make myself slow down.

Now I am reading Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones. It is sooo good. I love the feeling I get when I'm reading a book and have absolute confidence in the writer ... I know there's a craftswoman at work behind this story. Is this her last published book, does anyone know?

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
BAD APPLE by Laura Ruby. It's a 2009 model. Found it while browsing the library last night, and gulped down the first 50 pages lickety-split.

Seriously love the voice, style, and pacing of this story. Plus, the main conflict is right up my alley - the MC is accused of having an affair with her art teacher. Forbidden love/sex is one of my fave issues. :D

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading the first Artemis Fowl book. After reading about it I figured I'd love Artemis but right now he's kinda bugging me (and Butler's even worse ...).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Huntress by Malinda Lo. I thought it was more engaging than Ash, and that the relationships were a lot more interesting and convincing (I had trouble believing Ash's). But there's just something about her style of writing, thought beautiful, that I have trouble focusing on while reading, which makes me sad. Also, I have no clue why she resorted to pseudo-omni (which was really like third limited with jumps in POV) when third limited would have worked just as well.

I also finished A Deadly Game of Magic by Joan Lowery Nixon, which I didn't like very much, but that could have been because I'm having trouble connecting to stories that are supposed to be creepy :(

Now I am reading Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn and enjoying it, though I don't know what to make of the MC (and I think that's on purpose ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.