Status
Not open for further replies.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I finished Holly Black's RED GLOVE a few days ago and absolutely loved it. It didn't have the same OMG! ending as WHITE CAT, but I'm still a huge fan of the series and can't wait for the next one to come out :D

Next up is CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS. Tbh, the synopsis didn't do a whole lot for me, but I really like Clare's writing in general, so we'll see where this goes :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
City of Angels is taking me forever to get into to :( I'm just over 100 pages in and still am not feeling it. I hope it gets better!

I'm reading it now. I put my other two books aside to focus on this one cause I've been beside myself waiting for this book to come out! I'm only a couple of chapters in, but so far I'm loving it. But I LOVED the other three books in the series (and never stalled for a moment like Pixy did--sorry Pixy :(). I'm fully invested in these characters and so far I love the complexity of where the story is going with Simon's romances and the whole thing with the Camille and the vamps.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
(and never stalled for a moment like Pixy did--sorry Pixy :().
I know, I'm bummed. So many people love these books. Maybe something is wrong with me.

I'm reading A SWEET FAR THING right now and it's lovely. I am SO IN LOVE with these books. It took me forever to get to this one (last book in the series) cause I hate it when a series is over. I just finished the last HP book last summer cause I am more than a little obsessed with Harry and I couldn't stand the idea that his story would be over--no more Harry? NOOOOOO....

Anyway, my New Year's resolution was to start finishing all the series' that I've started. So, I finished Harry. I couldn't finish Twi (uhg factor times ten). Next up is Gemma. I'm saving THE CHAOS WALKING ending for a special moment. I'm as in love with Todd as I was with Harry, so I may have to have a mourning ceremony when I'm done with his story.

Todd... *weep*

Anyway, back to THE SWEET FAR THING: Libba Bray is a genius character creator. Gemma is so easy to follow and want to be with. Plus, the world is so rich. Love love love...

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
Pixy--I have The Ask and The Answer in my lineup to read next. That series was one I started reading by accident. My library hardly ever has the eBooks I'm looking for available, so I just picked at random from a list of books that were. The Knife of Never Letting Go was one of those books and I am SO glad I read it. My heart was pounding at the end. My library didn't have the others available as an eBook at all, so i just bought book 2. Can't wait to read it (but I am in the middle of so many series right now--Forest of Hands and Teeth as well as The Mortal Instruments..sigh).

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Have you read all the other ones in the series? I kind of stalled in book one page 60. I was hoping they'd get better. I wanna try again someday when I'm less jaded.

I'm reading it now. I put my other two books aside to focus on this one cause I've been beside myself waiting for this book to come out! I'm only a couple of chapters in, but so far I'm loving it. But I LOVED the other three books in the series (and never stalled for a moment like Pixy did--sorry Pixy :(). I'm fully invested in these characters and so far I love the complexity of where the story is going with Simon's romances and the whole thing with the Camille and the vamps.

Hey, so I've read them all, even Clockwork Angel. I honestly, stalled in book one to (City of Bones) however, I pushed through and loved the read of the series, except to be honest was a little undecided about how I felt about Clockwork Angel... I felt I was left with too many questions and not enough anwsers for a "first" book.

I have high hopes that it will get better, but to be honest, Jace is starting to annoy the crap out of me lol.

I'm sure if you keep going you'll enjoy them, her writing style takes some getting used to, she's obsessed with description, which is usually a good thing, however, she takes it a little too far, where I find I am skimming. She also seems to use Methaphors too much, at least one or two a page it seem lol

I'll let you guys know what I think about it. It's taking me a lot longer to read than I expected. I think I devoured the others (and most books) with in a day or two. I'm on day four and I'm not even half way through yet.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I'm reading MONSTERS OF MEN very slowly... I am so sad it'll be over, but I can't wait to see how it ends! THE ASK AND THE ANSWER is amazing! You won't be disappointed! And there's a free novella on kindle you can get called The New World. Haven't read that yet. I figure I'll save it when I'm done and need a fix. :D

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I have Clockwork Angel sort of regret buying it because I can never seem to get into a Cassandra Clare book, it started off ok but then I got bored and was like "no" in my head so I stopped at Chapter 5.

I did the same with Percy Jackson tbh. The writing style bores me. Urgh requested Parker Blue's books through Net Galley to review. Don't think I can read it, I dislike first person. I did give it ago though but the character's are flat, interactions alright, could have been written better as the text does not flow properly, some words could have been taken out and the sentences would have had more impact.

Last edited:

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Yes been approved by Hatchette Group and Tanglewood to read and review books :D so happy.

Omg I've been given permission to read Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson I'm so excited!!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not reading a YA book now, but I just bought a bunch from Borders, and on Saturday, when it closes, I plan to buy a ton more.

Dystophil, is The Red Glove a direct sequel to White Cat? I saw it at B&N and can't find WC anymore, but it sounded awesome and I was tempted to get it anyway.

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
I'm reading Fat Kid Rules the World right now. I'm mostly enjoying it, although I feel like what I've read so far could've been said more neatly in half as many words. (Looking at that last sentence, I see this might be a pot-kettle situation!)

I'm debating whether to just plow through it or just set it aside and jump straight into my next book--Zombies Don't Cry--with a clear conscience.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Stay by Deb Caletti

The premise looked really good - very anti-Twilight. I loved Albatross by Josie Bloss and this one sounded like is portrayed obsessive love in the same light. The only irk I'm having with it now is that the chapters alternate between meeting the guy and getting into the relationship and the aftermath, kind of working its way down to the center. I'm not sure how I'm liking that. But I am liking the story overall so far.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Sarah Dessen's Keeping the Moon the other night. Very simple plot and was a quick read in the sense that 6 months from now I'll probably be scratching my head trying to remember what it's about. BUT I really love the way that she makes each character unique, and I really enjoyed the close friendship between the two secondary female characters.

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
I finished Fat Kid Rules the World in the wee hours of the morning. (Thanks to insomnia on that count.) The last quarter or so of the book was riveting stuff. It more than made up for my one criticism yesterday!

I started Zombies Don't Cry this morning, but I think I need to set it aside for The FitzOsbornes in Exile. I loved A Brief History of Montmaray so much, I think I've got to dive into its continuation before I can focus on anything else!

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Okay, so I finished City of Fallen Angels today. I found I never quite got into it like the other novels in the series, ended up doing a lot of skimming (she tends to describe things to death) but I will say I was rather surprised with the ending. It took a turn that I wasn't expecting. However, now, more than ever I am finding that I do not like Jace (I just can't sympathize with him anymore) nor do I like Clary as much, for the same reason...
Simon, believe it or not, seems to be my favorite character these days, at least his reactions, emotions... and what not actually seem real and not to forced where sometimes because it's all about Jace and Clary's "love" seems forced and less and less believable.

Alright next up Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. I'm already a quarter of the way through it, and I'm liking it so far. I like that it's not nearly as thick as some of her other books, too (like Truth About Forever & Lock & Key), so it shouldn't take as long to read. :D

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. I'm already a quarter of the way through it, and I'm liking it so far. I like that it's not nearly as thick as some of her other books, too (like Truth About Forever & Lock & Key), so it shouldn't take as long to read. :D

I liked that one a lot. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading ROT AND RUIN by Jonathan Maberry, which is a story set after a zombie apocalypse and follows a 15 year old boy as he realises that maybe zombies aren't the real monsters.

I'm a zombie fan anyway and this is easily one of the best examples of the genre I've read in the last few years - plenty of undead action but plenty of thought provoking stuff on humanity and what the apocalypse would drive people to do. I'd highly recommend it.

Am currently reading INK EXCHANGE by Melissa Marr, which is the second in her faerie court series. It's very dark and has plenty of politics and intrigue, which means that I'm enjoying it so far.

Afterwards I'll go onto my copy of CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS by Cassandra Clare. I'll hold my hand up as not being a fan of the preceding 4 books in this series. I think they're okay but too purple and I really, really hate the male characters (mainly because I've never found arrogant pricks to be attractive, especially when female characters are desperate for the approval of said arrogant prick). I'll also put my hand up to not loving the Blackadder II rip-off joke in the first chapter of CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS (although I did like it in the original TV series). So I'm going into it with low expectations anyway.

MM

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thirty pages into L1fe As W3 Kn3w It by Sus@n Beth Pf3ffer and I'm having trouble swallowing the events so far. I'm always interested in world catastrophe/end of days premises, but this is just... no.
I'm also not buying the MC as a 16yr old girl-- she sounds about 12. Don't know if I'll stick with it.

Also read H3x Hall (meh).

Lnlee

Reading and writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lylawrites.blogspot.com
I'm currently reading ANGELFIRE by Courtney Allison Moulton. It's really interesting so far and I can't wait to get further into it (I'm not even halfway through right now).

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Wither and I'm so aggravated. It was such a beautifully written, compulsively readable book, BUT...

The premise where people die right at a certain age was shaky to begin with, and the world building didn't do much to strengthen it. This would have been a truly great book if she had made it a present-day alternate history instead of jumping on the futuristic dystopia bandwagon, because she just didn't have the attention to detail to pull it off. And if it were present day then at least her casual references to Dorothy's Oz and Rubik's cubes and contact lenses still being a thing almost two hundred years into the future (I'm guessing based on vague clues) -- despite the fact that cancer has been cured -- wouldn't have been as jarring. Well, okay, the contact lenses would have been, because that made absolutely no sense. There were several things like that in the book, hence the aggravation. Because it really was wonderful to read *if* I pretended it was a present-day alternate history.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I'm thirty pages into L1fe As W3 Kn3w It by Sus@n Beth Pf3ffer and I'm having trouble swallowing the events so far. I'm always interested in world catastrophe/end of days premises, but this is just... no.
I'm also not buying the MC as a 16yr old girl-- she sounds about 12. Don't know if I'll stick with it.

I liked Life As We Knew It ~ but if you're not into it by now you are prob not going to feel any different by the end of the book. I did think the book would be better marketed as MG than YA (in fact, here in Australia the series are shelved in the kids section, not the teens). It has a very MG vibe.

I just finished Wither and I'm so aggravated. It was such a beautifully written, compulsively readable book, BUT...

A lot of my buds vehemently did not like Wither. Enough for me to decide not to read it. Although it also is getting a lot of praise. Hmm... *shrugs*

I'm reading Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken. It's a fantasy ~ but written very simply (ie not intense high fantasy). not sure how much I'll love it but right now it is perfect for the mood I am in.

Status
Not open for further replies.