What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished NICKEL PLATED by Aric Davis. It's got a good noir voice to it and the MC's a cross between Phillip Marlowe and Alex Ryder. It also puts a firm tick in the edgy box - much of the story deals with or touches on paedophilia and sex offenders - and it's well plotted with the strands coming together neatly (perhaps a little too neatly, but that's a pedantic point). My big issue though was with the age of the MC - for me, 12 was too young for the voice and nature of the story, even taking into account his history. There is a reason for it but for me, it wouldn't have taken much to increase his age to 14/15, which would have still worked with the story but just taken some of the ... I'll use the word 'ick' but it's not the right one - more latent ick.

I did like the writing though and I look forward to seeing what Davis does next.

Am currently reading CHANGELING: DEMON KINGS by Steve Feasey. It's the 4th in his YA series about the world's last hereditary werewolf and I'm enjoying it so far.

MM

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
About to start The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I'll get there . . . ended up being a DNF. It started to read like a diary about a boy walking his dog. When I start dreading reading something, I have to put it down.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I didn't bring my Kindle charger with me, I guess I'm reading the only other book I brought with me, EMPTY by Suzanne Weyn

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
@Drummer Girl: The movie of Never Let Me Go definitely focused more on the romance aspect of the trio rather than their friendship, but I don't think it was overdone (not as much as the marketing suggests, anyway). I saw Ishiguro speak about the film and he was heavily involved in the whole process and seemed happy with the results. I've got a review on my blog if you're interested.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I started Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby last night.
So far it's a little on the slow side, but I'm pushing through cause I've heard nothing but good things about it :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I didn't bring my Kindle charger with me, I guess I'm reading the only other book I brought with me, EMPTY by Suzanne Weyn
Man, I'm wishing I had charged my Kindle (or brought my charger). This book is basically if someone wanted to write a school book about what might happen we ran out of oil and then they decided to put characters in there to make kids read it. Every page has an infodump. Very little character

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Genius Wars. I'm not sure what I think about how it ended. It was a fun read. But the ending... I'm torn.

But in a good way.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
@Drummer Girl: The movie of Never Let Me Go definitely focused more on the romance aspect of the trio rather than their friendship, but I don't think it was overdone (not as much as the marketing suggests, anyway). I saw Ishiguro speak about the film and he was heavily involved in the whole process and seemed happy with the results. I've got a review on my blog if you're interested.

Ahh, thanks. I *might* go and check it out at the movies. Your post has made me feel not quite so shattered about it. The trailer makes it look like the love triangle is the plot *rolls eyes* I have no idea why Australia has such a late release date for it?

I started Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby last night.
So far it's a little on the slow side, but I'm pushing through cause I've heard nothing but good things about it :)

All Sarah Dessen's books get off to a slow start, IMO :D Along For the Ride was even slower...

The Dark and Hollow Places. Read 3/4 of it last night and can't wait to finish.

Oooh ~ can't wait to read it! I know this series annoys a lot of people (and I can probably see why), but I get sucked in every time :)

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Just finished Mock1ngb1rds by Da1sy Whi1tney. So much wrong I don't know where to begin... flat out ridiculous, bordering on the offensive.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Ugh. Just finished Mock1ngb1rds by Da1sy Whi1tney. So much wrong I don't know where to begin... flat out ridiculous, bordering on the offensive.

LOL. I reviewed that on my blog last night :D

well, I was perhaps a bit more tactful than your comment ;), but I struggled with it too ~ which mystified me as it seemed to be getting so much praise everywhere.

anyway, congrats on finishing it :) I oscillated between feeling bored, slightly incredulous, disinterested and confused (that certain plot points happened. a few 'what the?' moments).

Mostly, I was too bored to get worked up about it though...

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Genius Wars. I'm not sure what I think about how it ended. It was a fun read. But the ending... I'm torn.

But in a good way.

Oh, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

It's been a couple months since I finished, but I'm still unsure.

meeeeegin

The inside of my ear itches....boo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I just finished Across The Universe. It was very good. But now I have no idea what to read next. I'm waiting for the sequel to I Am Number Four to come out but that's in August. Any suggestions?

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

It's been a couple months since I finished, but I'm still unsure.

Drat, and I had hoped this feeling would go away!

Moving on to Catalyst as soon as I sort through my feelings on Genius Squad. I loved Speak, Twisted, and Wintergirls, so I'm hopeful that I'll enjoy it.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Moving on to Catalyst as soon as I sort through my feelings on Genius Squad. I loved Speak, Twisted, and Wintergirls, so I'm hopeful that I'll enjoy it.

I really liked Catalyst.

ANYTHING by Laurie Halse Anderson is a great read. :Thumbs:

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently re-reading Hush, Hush and then I'll start on Crescendo.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
meeeeegin:
I just finished Across The Universe. It was very good. But now I have no idea what to read next. I'm waiting for the sequel to I Am Number Four to come out but that's in August. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're on a YA SF kick at the moment - have you tried THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness (first in a trilogy set on another planet) or THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner (YA dystopian future)?

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I finished EMPTY, which did not really get better.

Reading JELLICOE ROAD now, which should put in the right mindset for the book I'm revising.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Blue Bloods and I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The characters are all set up as very cliched types, but then they all really had distinct personalities, instead of sticking to type. The story was exciting too. Prep school vampires! Mysterious creatures! Comas! So much twincest! Lost colony of Roanoke! Angels walking the earth! My library has all the sequels so that's like yay.

Then Debbie Harry Sings In French, which was short but wonderful. Nice boy gets out of alcohol rehab and realizes he really wants to wear a dress like Debbie Harry.

Now reading The Demon's Lexicon which is both hilarious and thrilling!

Status
Not open for further replies.