What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to get through Jellicoe Road. After 68 pages of nonsense, I couldn't be bothered anymore. :flag:

LeafintheBreeze

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I'd been wanting to read this book since before it was even released. Finally got around to it. Loved the story and premise, but the writing was just so-so, I thought.

A few problems I had with the book:
There was a lot of eye rolling going on.
The chapters were short, but they all seemed to end with a cliffhanger, which got annoying -- however, it kept me reading, so I guess that wasn't too much of a problem.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to reading the sequel.

Also, I'm almost done with The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the sequel for this book as well.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins and I loved it, but I'm a little irritated by the way she decided to end that. I don't care for cliffhangers.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My great paranormal romance reading experiment is begun. Finished Wicked Lovely but it was not quite my thing. I liked the characters and the worldbuilding, but the conflict all felt a bit "Cake or death?!"

Now I've got Demon's Lexicon and Blue Bloods to read, but my stupid library seems to have hidden Beautiful Creatures on the To-Be-Shelved Shelf That Time Forgot.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't actually get through Dark3st M3rcy <wince>. I'm on bad run here.

BUT... I've just started Laini Taylor's Dr3amdark: S1lk Singer . I seriously :heart:'d Lips T0uch Three T1mes so I have high hopes.

(P.S. Think you might be dodging a bullet, kittypryde, if you never find that book... )

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
SO GOOD. I vote for the Eyre Affair. :D

I am reading this right now! It's a clever concept. A friend of mine loaned me the whole Thursday Next series.

Anyone else the type that can read two different books at the same time? The other one I'm currently reading is Crank by Ellen Hopkins. I am impressed with the poetry and also horrified. I find as I read it, I read it as a mother. Scenarios like this terrify me for my children. Of course, I am questioning the decision of the mother in the book already--I won't say more than that, but I just ask myself "Why?".

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
Loved Anna and the French Kiss. Also recently finished and loved, LOVED, Revolution. I just started Beyonders by Brandon Mull, which is MG but IMO will probably cross over to YA readership. His other solidly YA series did.

I'm also restarting Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. Is that adult or YA? Does anyone know?

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boneshaker is adult for sure. I really could not get into it as the start is super slow but obvs a lot of people loved it..

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Kitty Pride ~ you are not missing much by not reading Beautiful Creatures. I honestly do not understand people who love it. Especially teens as it moves sooo slowly. And the male POV is (IMO) utterly unconvincing.

I am reading a PNR (!) on page 100 of Nightshade and while there's nothing wrong with it (writing is fine, etc) I just don't really find it compelling... yet (which is more to do with my tastes than the book I imagine)

EDIT: Also LOVE Never Let Me go (which is not YA but keeps getting mentioned in this thread). Beautifully wrought dystopia. Very literary and despite the trailer for the movie (haven't seen it yet) it really is not about a love triangle. What is with that in the movie? Argh.

Last edited:

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I'd been wanting to read this book since before it was even released. Finally got around to it. Loved the story and premise, but the writing was just so-so, I thought.

I just finished The Scorch Trials, the sequel and totally agree that the story is great and the writing is so-so. That being said I'm bummed I have to wait until October for the last one. They still have barely explained what the hell is going on and it's getting tiresome.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I also just read Swim the Fly and it's sequel Beat the Band which, if you love hystericaly raunchy, crude odes to adolescence, are thoroughly enjoyable.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Kitty Pride ~ you are not missing much by not reading Beautiful Creatures. I honestly do not understand people who love it. Especially teens as it moves sooo slowly. And the male POV is (IMO) utterly unconvincing.

I kind of liked the POV, but I only made it to page 20 cause it was just so...I don't know. I just couldn't stay in it.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. I loved the voice in it, the MC character was great, and the message is wonderful for young girls, but at the same time the turn around seemed, I don't know, too easy?

Halfway done with Before I Fall. Harder to stay interested, but since I'm already half-way through, I'll finish it.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I quite liked Beautiful Creatures (mostly for Macon Ravenwood, who I thought was a great character, and the setting), but I agree that Ethan's point of view was quite feminine at points. I always WTF-ed a bit when he started describing someone's clothes.

I am really reading Little Bird of Heaven by Joyce Carol Oates (not YA), but I'm kind of taking a second crack at Brown Skin Blue by Belinda Jeffrey as well.

Also. I loooooved Fall For Anything.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I quite liked Beautiful Creatures (mostly for Macon Ravenwood, who I thought was a great character, and the setting), but I agree that Ethan's point of view was quite feminine at points. I always WTF-ed a bit when he started describing someone's clothes.

I don't think I got as far as Macon. I only read about 20 pages and then I had to return it to the library. Hmm... maybe I should try it again.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Tbh, I only really got interested in Beautiful Creatures when Macon was introduced (I was just slogging through before that). Like Para said, he was awesome :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Good lord, I'm on the verge of adding another DNF to my list. I'll get there . . . just isn't working for me. I feel bad because it's supposed to be this great book but I'm about 70 pages into a 200 page story and the point of the story hasn't happened yet. It's just about a 13 year old boy that had to move to NYC with his dog and him just farting around life. His dad's distant, his mom suck and he takes his dog for a lot of walks. Other than that, I'm immensely bored. I like the writing and I like the characters but nothing's happening and I'm losing my patience.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ack! I just realized I won't be able to go see all those lovely paranormal authors cuz i have a class that night! Argh! Oh well, the good news is, I am enjoying Blue Bloods an awful lot. I was afraid it would be like Gossip Girl, With Vampires. But it feels a lot more like a David Levithan/Rachel Cohn Novel, With Vampires. So hurray!

Status
Not open for further replies.