What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Like Mandarin (so beautiful!) and I'm now halfway through Fall For Anything, which is amazing. Damn, there's a lot of talent in the YA world right now. Makes me jealous!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Like Mandarin (so beautiful!) and I'm now halfway through Fall For Anything, which is amazing. Damn, there's a lot of talent in the YA world right now. Makes me jealous!

haha, I second this. :)

I finished The Dead of Night by John Marsden which is the second in the Tomorrow series. I liked it much better than the first, which I did enjoy too, but this one... I don't know. There was a lot more uncertainty in this one, and he introduced an antagonist who makes you just want to scream in frustration. Very intense emotions. I'm more excited now to read #3. :)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through THE LOST ART OF KEEPING SECRETS and it's really good - set in 1950s England, and with a really likeable and realistic heroine - plus lots of jazz and rock and roll references!

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Midway through MATCHED and I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. Normally it isn't my sort of book at all just because I'm not so big on dystopian worlds, but I can forgive a lot for the sake of such strong writing and well-defined characters. Looking forward to more of it.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I finished The Dead of Night by John Marsden which is the second in the Tomorrow series. I liked it much better than the first, which I did enjoy too, but this one... I don't know. There was a lot more uncertainty in this one, and he introduced an antagonist who makes you just want to scream in frustration. Very intense emotions. I'm more excited now to read #3. :)

Oooh ~ so glad you're getting into the series. I am so completely sentimentally attached to the Tomorrow books and characters that I have no more objectivity with them :D

I miss this thread! Although I keep reading adult fiction so i haven't been popping in :(

one adult fiction I recently read and just COMPLETELY fell in love with was Liane Moriarty's What Alice Forgot. She is Jaclyn Moriarty's sister and they have a very similar voice and talent only Jaclyn writes YA and Liane writes adult. They are both absolute fave authors of mine.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr. An excellent conclusion to the series. Dark, bloody, and hopeful. My review here.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Fall For Anything last night. Wow. That's a book I won't soon forget. Culler...ugh...I can't even...ugh! :rant:

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished WARPED which I really liked.

Next I'm reading THE OUTSIDE BOY by Jeanine Cummins, unless one of the shiny new books I bought at Borders today seduces me away from it.

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished MATCHED a couple hours ago and promptly busied myself with running around, recommending it to everyone I met. Not only did the characters and their story grab hold of me from the first page, but the writing itself was a pleasure to read. Condie's prose is rich and strong, with no words wasted-- simply gorgeous work.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE by Annabel Pitcher. It's an incredibly good debut novel, very powerful it looks at grief and the effect that a child's death can have on a family. There were a couple of very small niggles (the depiction of a TV talent show didn't quite ring true and I never really believed in the teacher) but they didn't affect my impression of the overall story. I highly recommend this book (and I don't say that often).

I'm currently reading an MG book THE MAGNIFICANT 12: THE CALL by Michael Grant, which is the first in a fantasy series and it's leaving me a bit meh. The tone's too glib, the references don't strike me as being suitable for the readership and I can't connect to the MC.

MM

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I finished The Limit by Kristen Landon and that book suffers from some serious Idiot Adult Syndrome. It falls to more MG than YA in the end but still, the adults are too dumb to be believable to me. I understand the kids need to stand out in the story but wow.

About to start Numbers by Rachel Ward.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I finished TPOBAW by Chbosky and.... now have a huge crush on Charlie. And the best thing about amazing characters in stand alones? They remain amazing.... forever. <sigh>

I'm a chapter into Un3arth1y and not fully encouraged, but then I'm not really into angel stories. Although I seem to remember 'paranoramal-romance-shunning Drummergirl' giving it the nod, so I have hope it'll all be okay. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a chapter into Un3arth1y and not fully encouraged, but then I'm not really into angel stories. Although I seem to remember 'paranoramal-romance-shunning Drummergirl' giving it the nod, so I have hope it'll all be okay. :)

I liked it! But you need to read UN3ARTHLY all the way through to the end to find out why. :tongue The ending is the key to its goodness.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Fall for Anything. That C@urtney Summer$ is a genius as far as i'm concerned. Everything of hers is made of awesome. To me.

I recently finished Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin. AWE.SOME. Really great. Hot. Great characters, fantastic voice, EXCELLENT tension. Whew.

Now reading Thriteen Reasons Why by J@y A$her. Have only heard great things about this one. Have also been trying to read Red Riding Hood, which came out in January, two months before the movie. heard the movie sucked, but hope the book is better. the movie looked soooooo good, but the reviews have been blech. :(

now that i have an iPad, i hope i will have access to more of the Tomorrow series which seems to be difficult to get here in the States. grrrrrrr :mad:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Mel! You'll love 13 Reasons. At least, I think you will. :) I have #3 of the Tomorrow series sitting next to me, but I have to start some of the library books that I checked out first. Working on The Replacement next.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey adk! Where are you ordering the Tomorrow series from? I'm halfway through 13 Reasons, and it is FANTASTIC!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Hey adk! Where are you ordering the Tomorrow series from? I'm halfway through 13 Reasons, and it is FANTASTIC!

I ordered the first 2 from Barnes and Noble. I found the third one in the B&N used book section of our local store. I was looking around amazon and they have 5-7, but not #4. You can order them directly through Scholastic, but then you have to pay shipping. These are all actual books, I'm not sure what's available for ebooks.

Glad you're liking 13 reasons!!

deltay

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Beth Revis' ACROSS THE UNIVERSE the other night - & reviewed it here - loved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.