What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start reading Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins. I'm interested to see if this will be as good as the first book.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just finished Anna And The French Kiss and I'm so giddy I don't know what to do with myself right now.
*wrings hands*
Damn, I loved it!

I just started it-- with high expectations. :)

Recently finished Bl00d and Ch0colat3. Hmmm... I know its an oldie but honestly-- I found myself cringing quite a bit. And also bored. Just did not gel with this book.

Also just read If 1 StAy and thought it was touching and well-written.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Wither ended up being a bomb for me. By the end of it, while I was compelled enough to keep reading to find out what happens, the whole dystopian world that DeStefano created was just not feasible. When I have to stop suspending my disbelief because all logical aspects of science have been tossed out the window in favor of plot serving, pretty dresses and bubble baths, it pretty much kills it.

I'm reading an erotica book of short stories at the moment. Totally not YA in the slightest and not my normal read at all (no really, I swear) but they're perversions of fairy tales so I wanted to see what was done with them. O_O

Another YA will be up next. I just haven't decided which one yet.

SarahWesten

Zombies were people too...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
queserasarahwrites.blogspot.com
Finished Delirium By Lauren Oliver. I liked it a lot. It wasn't amazing but it was above average. Also finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman it was very creepy but I couldn't stop reading it(stayed up until 4:30 just to finish it). I recommend both.
Now going to read Across the Universeby Beth Revis.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Finished THE SIX RULES OF MAYBE by Deb Caletti. Very Sarah Dessen-y, so if you like that type of book, I highly recommend it.

Now reading SOME GIRLS ARE by Courtney Summers. This is the second of her books I'm reading this year (FALL FOR ANYTHING was the first). Love her style.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now reading SOME GIRLS ARE by Courtney Summers. This is the second of her books I'm reading this year (FALL FOR ANYTHING was the first). Love her style.

LOVE Some Girls Are. It's one of my favorite books of all time. I recently loaned it to someone, and it was difficult to part with it. :D

All Courtney's books are great, imo, but Some Girls Are is the best.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Like Mandarin and Fall For Anything are both waiting for me at the library. Can't wait to sink my teeth into them. Weekend of reading! :partyguy:

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, I began a quest to read every (with a couple of exceptions) Newbery award winner and honoree of the past decade, and was very happy I did. It was one of the best pieces of advice I had run across in quite some time.

Now, I'm focusing on current books and series that I see popping up in forums that young adults frequent.

This week, I read The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott, Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson, and Speak - also by Anderson.

Anderson's work strikes me as that of a person who truly has her finger on the pulse of today's teens. Her grasp of that world is masterful, to say the least. The writing is compelling and crisp.

My next trip to the library should net me 13 Reasons Why and The Book Thief.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
strictlytopsecret:
Anderson's work strikes me as that of a person who truly has her finger on the pulse of today's teens. Her grasp of that world is masterful, to say the least. The writing is compelling and crisp.

I agreed. I've only read Wintergirls but I was really impressed with the way she experimented with formating and text format without it every feeling gimmicky.

MM

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished CITY OF BONES and feel like I should win a prize, or something. It started off promisingly, but I started to lose hope when I discovered I wasn't able to care what happened to Clary. Writing style may have been a contributing factor.

I read the latest edition of Elie Wiesel's NIGHT while prepping for an upcoming unit I'll be teaching to a grade 11 class, and it brought my mood down pretty hard. The writing is stark and terrifying, absolutely gripping by virtue of its poetic simplicity. I needed to cheer myself up after that, though, so I was glad to have ONLY THE GOOD SPY YOUNG on hand. I am nearly done and enjoying it enormously; just what I needed to get me through a really cruddy week.

Savouring SORCERY AND CECILIA as slowly and luxuriously as I can, and have my eye on WHITE CAT next, though I really should wrap up my first draft before I indulge in any reading this weekend!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin. Holy Hotness!!!!!!!!! Soooooooo good! Great romantic tension (like, really great) and the voice was great and the story very believable.

Reading now Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I agreed. I've only read Wintergirls but I was really impressed with the way she experimented with formating and text format without it every feeling gimmicky.

MM

Speak is probably on my top ten list of all time. I liked Wintergirls, but Speak is just breath-taking in it's stark simplistic beauty. I'm making it required reading for my girls when they're old enough.

I'm reading Across the Universe, and liking it so far. I'm a little mystified at a few things but I"m trying to ignore them and just listen to the story.

C1TY 0F B0N3S....oi. I'm glad I'm not alone. I can only read a few pages at a time cause it's a crazy maker the way she does dialogue dumps and labors over convos on mundane life stuff (kind of like in Twi how Bella was ALWAYS cooking for her dad). And the only character I like is the friend. I may never finish at this rate...

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
ok, Anna and the French Kiss did NOT dissapoint. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Perks of Being a Wallflower is next :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
About 100 pages into The Limit by Kristen Landon and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's more MG than YA so the writing's a little simpler but on a plot basis, I'm a little bored. So far a boy has been kidnapped and placed in a workhouse that's actually nicer than the home he came from but it has some conspiracy theory elements thrown in that may lead to something. Fingers crossed they do.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE by Annabel Pitcher. It's about a 10 year old boy whose sister, Rose, died 5 years earlier in a terrorist attack on Trafalgar Square. He's moved to the Lake District with his dad and Rose's twin sister, Jas (his mother having left them and moved in with a member of the victim's support group). There's a lot of buzz about it in the UK because of the contemporary nature of the subject matter and I was a bit suspicious of the promoing of its literary themes as it's essentially a YA book about grief and dealing with loss. However it is shaping up to be an amazing book - incredibly well written, never mawkish and intelligent it's blowing me away at the moment and I won't be surprised if it does well come awards season.

MM

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Had to drop Finding Cassie Crazy by Jaclyn Moriarty to reread The Name of the Wind before The Wise Man's Fear came out. So when I (finally) finished WMF, I went back to it. I loved it even more than I loved Feeling Sorry for Celia. Can't wait to read the next one by her. :)

I'm currently reading Sprout by Dale Peck and I lovelovelove it. Sprout's voice is fantastic. I've can't remember the last time I laughed so hard while reading.

Warped by Maurissa Guibord

How are you finding it? I've been eyeing it for a while.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
vfury -- how did you enjoy WMF? I'm really looking forward to carving out some time to read it this weekend.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
vfury -- how did you enjoy WMF? I'm really looking forward to carving out some time to read it this weekend.

I started writing you a rep, but I'll PM you instead as it was the longest unfinished rep in history. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.