Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Just finished Angels on Sunset Blvd by Melissa De La Cruz. I enjoy her Blue Blood series, so when I came across this book in the $2.00 Bin at my Chapters store, I couldn't pass it up.

Well... I wish I would have kept my $2.00 haha. It was kinda lame, but honestly, had the potential to be great, she just, forced this book I think. And it shows. Not to mention it is left with a huge WTF happens next, only I just read online we may never, get to know what happenes next. The contract on the series has been long since cancelled, and she herself said she just can't seem to write the next book in the series.

Last edited:

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti. I'm only about twenty pages in so far, but it's good so far. I really like her style of writing.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
This is only YA by the loosest of definitions (the character throughout most of it is 15 and the MC has a young voice), but I think YA fans will like this epic fantasy (YA epic fantasy?). And a lot of the first book and where I'm at in this book is like a dark Harry Potter, but without a Dumbledore to protect him.

Oh, the name being The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, second book in the trilogy. First is The Name of the Wind.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been re-reading books lately. Partly to see how they're structured (I've been having issues with plot, so I'm researching ;)), and partly because they're books worth reading again.

So, this week I've read The Sky is Everywhere and The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things and I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I've been re-reading books lately. Partly to see how they're structured (I've been having issues with plot, so I'm researching ;)), and partly because they're books worth reading again.

So, this week I've read The Sky is Everywhere and The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things and I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You.

I haven't read The Earth, my butt, etc... is it good?

I just got Fall For Anything and the first two books of the Tomorrow series. Having trouble deciding which to read first.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read The Earth, my butt, etc... is it good?

I just got Fall For Anything and the first two books of the Tomorrow series. Having trouble deciding which to read first.

FALL FOR ANYTHING!!!! It's soooooooooo good! And, damn...you got the second book for the Tomorrow series??? *jealous* I read the first one. It's very VERY good. I really want to read the rest of the series before i forget about the characters. They're still sitting with me, but...

Hey, maybe it's time to cash in some gift cards from xmas :D

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I think I am a little late to the game with this one. I liked it, and am interested in what happens next, but not that crazy I-have-to-know sort of way like with the Hunger Games.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
FALL FOR ANYTHING!!!! It's soooooooooo good! And, damn...you got the second book for the Tomorrow series??? *jealous* I read the first one. It's very VERY good. I really want to read the rest of the series before i forget about the characters. They're still sitting with me, but...

Hey, maybe it's time to cash in some gift cards from xmas :D

i wanted to buy the whole series but the only ones available on amazon and B&N were the first two - the others were either not there or way too expensive. So I'll have to order those directly from Scholastic. I'm still indecisive. I have three other books checked out from the library and I should really read those first, but I hate sitting in bed with a stupid computer on my lap. I need to get a Nook or something. :(

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Umm... somehow I requested Ent1ce from the library. Tres bizarre as I haven't read the two previous books in this trilogy and.... I made it about 20 pages in, and not b/c its one of those 'need to read in sequence' trilogies. Merdique. Srsly.

Started The Shifter and was loving the first 20 pages, then promptly forgot it at the hairdresser's. :(

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Oh, bummer, PollyAnna!

I just finished The Duff and Anna and the French Kiss which were both wonderful. Read them each in a day. I'm used to reading fantasy or paranormal or basically "weird" YA so these were a breath of fresh air. I really need to branch out more cause doing all this research reading is bogging me down to the point where if I read one more "Oh, he's so hot, but he might eat me" book I was going to hurl.

Me like reading about human boys! Who knew?

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
This isn't really YA, but I'm currently reading The Bell Jar for the first time. Quite enjoying it so far. Lovely writing :)

I LOVED The Bell Jar. Such crispy prose. It's a pity Plath wrote just one novel.

Fall For Anything? I'm SO jealous, Angie! Lucky, lucky, you.

I'm currently reading The Bermudez Triangle, which is my first Maureen Johnson book. I don't know why, but she reminds me of Jaclyn Moriarty, who I absolutely adore :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED The Bell Jar. Such crispy prose. It's a pity Plath wrote just one novel.

Fall For Anything? I'm SO jealous, Angie! Lucky, lucky, you.

I'm currently reading The Bermudez Triangle, which is my first Maureen Johnson book. I don't know why, but she reminds me of Jaclyn Moriarty, who I absolutely adore :)

Ooo, I'll have to check her out. I <3 JM. There's maybe one of hers that I haven't read yet.

I decided to start with the Tomorrow series, not sure why just felt more in the mood for action. :Shrug:

EFlegen

Registered
Reaction score

Have you considered picking up her journals? There really interesting to read, especially as a writer, as she does talk about her work some.

I just finished reading Fall For Anything last night, and over the past weekend I read Anna and the French Kiss and Zadie Smith's White Teeth (not YA). I have to say, while I liked Fall For Anything, I think I enjoyed Summer's other books a bit more. Anna and the French Kiss was one of those novels that I absolutely loved, even in it's imperfections. I am currently going back through it now with a "writerly" perspective to see how she managed to create the absolutely amazing chemistry between her characters.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I've started The Poison Eaters and Other Stories by Holly Black. So far I'm two complete stories in and I'm liking them. I don't know if I'd classify them as horror but they're definitely different that what's out there in YA right now so that's a definitely plus. Her voice is really intriguing and catchy. I find myself reading dozens of pages in a blink.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
So I picked up Evernight by Claudia Grey the other day from my chapters store. It was marked down to 4.99. I had never intended to read it, but for that price why not.
I've heard varying things about it, also new it was about Vampires, and Vampire hunters.

It was good. My only quam about it, why go nearly a hundred and fifty pages in the dark, so to speak. It annoyed the crap out of me, because I knew what would come, eventually. But had I been a regular reader, well shit, the novel's blurb, gave no indication what so ever about the fact that the book was about Vampires, and for the most part in the beggining I assumed maybe I had heard wrong and the book wasn't because it just seemed like another angsty teen romanceish book until BAM the main character new everything and then for the next half the book it was as though we new the whole school was full Vampires all along. A little annoying.

Of course, her version of vampires could be up for debate, as with many vampire books, but this really, so far, is nothing overly original.

Will I read the rest? Probably. But I just wasn't in love with it as I have been about other vampire books.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson... Aaaah. A masterpiece :)

I loved WG,WG.

I finished Tomorrow When the War Begins by John Marsden. So, I liked most of it, but I feel like it would have been a lot better presented if it had been done in 3rd person. There were too many instances where the characters had to relate back to the MC what had happened to them a they were exploring the town and getting shot at and stuff. It lost a lot of the excitement by giving the information to the reader second hand and at times I felt myself skimming those sections. I'm still going to read the second book though, and I'll probably continue the series.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I loved WG,WG.

I finished Tomorrow When the War Begins by John Marsden. So, I liked most of it, but I feel like it would have been a lot better presented if it had been done in 3rd person. There were too many instances where the characters had to relate back to the MC what had happened to them a they were exploring the town and getting shot at and stuff. It lost a lot of the excitement by giving the information to the reader second hand and at times I felt myself skimming those sections. I'm still going to read the second book though, and I'll probably continue the series.

you know what, adk, i think you just pinpointed what it was that didn't make me completely in love with it. there was something that felt just a bit off and i couldn't put my finger on it, but i think you just totally made me realize what it was. and i totally agree. i mean, i really liked the mc's voice, but the tension and excitement would have been way more amped if it had been in third person. good observation.

Just finished reading Shiver and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful story with beautiful writing that just sucked me in. Great, great ending!!!! Can't wait to read Linger.

SaturnV

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. Late to the party, I know. I actually started it once before and abandoned it but this time I went through it in a day. It was gutting and devastating and lovely and I just sat there and cried when I finished it.

Now I need a new one. I started Delirium but after a couple chapters I think I'm done.

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
I just finished Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. Late to the party, I know. I actually started it once before and abandoned it but this time I went through it in a day. It was gutting and devastating and lovely and I just sat there and cried when I finished it.

Now I need a new one. I started Delirium but after a couple chapters I think I'm done.

I just finished Jellicoe Road yesterday! I wasn't very taken for the first half, but I was taken enough to keep reading. Then I got to the end and understood exactly why KittyPryde recommended it to me. So beautiful!

Right before Jellicoe Road, I read A Brief History of Montmaray, which I loved so much I couldn't really fit all that love into my LibraryThing review.

Now I'm reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I read most of it today while my little one was napping, and I'm only not reading it now because I want something to look forward to after work tomorrow. :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Fall For Anything, and can I just say that I really really hated Culler. Like I wanted to rip his eyeballs out -type hatred. A very good book - on par with Some Girls Are, though it didn't keep me feeling quite as much tension as that one did.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Culler. He was just so annoyingly pretentious to begin with, and it only got worse from there :/

I'm rereading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. It's definitely one of my all-time favorite YAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.