What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver and ... no. I think what killed it for me was the clumsy allusion to Romeo and Juliet at the end. I knew it was coming and when the reference came to it being about sacrifice, I rolled my eyes, sighed and thought 'nope'. In fact, there were no surprises at all in the text - I guessed what was going to happen in pretty much the order it happened. It is very smooth and the writing is lyrical but basically, no.

Am going to read some 'grown up' fiction for a bit as I'm in a SF mood.

MM

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished ENTANGL3D. I really enjoyed it, and it's definitely compulsive reading. While I suspected how one of the subplots would pan out, C@t Cl@rke surprised me with another one. It's far darker and grittier than the back copy led me to believe.

Just started Jaclyn Moriarty's FINDING CASSIE CRAZY/THE YEAR OF SECRET ASSIGNMENTS. I wish I could write like her. :(

hyz

hurricane
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.happyowlbooks.com
I've been hoarding YA books like crazy now that the Borders in the mall I work at is closing, and I picked up HOW IT'S DONE and could pretty much not put it down. I fell in love with it for all kinds of reasons.

I almost don't want to read another one :3

angelfrancis

I got this!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I'm reading Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson, i'm about five chapters in, which is only like...20 pages? And I'm not completely hooked yet. it's one of those situations where i'm reading waiting for it to get better.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I started Beautiful Creatures last night. Not sure if I'll be able to get into it. I get tired of books that start out saying how dull and dreary and unchanging their town is. Hoping that it gets better soon.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Before I Fall and I read it really quickly. I thought the voice was good, but I have to say: first person/present tense was a REALLY odd choice for the premise.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Ali rocked. I loved her reaction when Bryn is beaten. "He beat you unconscious. I don't care whether you think you deserved it or you want to stick around. WE'RE LEAVING." And Bryn is like "WE ARE NOT LEAVING," and it jump-cuts to two hours later with Bryn sulking in the car. Awesome. :tongue

Yeah, I loved that part. :)

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm starting Beastley by Alex Finn, I want to see the movie so I figure I might as well read the book.
The MC doesn't look that "beastley" at all in the movie trailer.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting Beastley by Alex Finn, I want to see the movie so I figure I might as well read the book.
The MC doesn't look that "beastley" at all in the movie trailer.

Of course he doesn't. That would alienate the Twi-hards (no offense to the Twi-hards, who, as I have found out, will cut a bitch) who want to go see nice-face Alex Pettyfer. I don't think he looks "beastly" at all. He just looks like he has a lot of tattoos.

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I started Annexed by Sharon Dogar. I'm only about eighty pages into it, but it's pretty good so far, an interesting re-telling of Peter van Pels' life in the Annex with Anne Frank.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read a really nice adult fantasy that i think would be a great YA crossover--Among Others by jo walton. diary of a 15 yr old magic-doing outcast girl sent to horrid boarding school. She has few friends and takes refuge in sf and fantasy novels. VERY fun read. It's in a slightly adultish tone but very close to a true YA IMO.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Of course he doesn't. That would alienate the Twi-hards (no offense to the Twi-hards, who, as I have found out, will cut a bitch) who want to go see nice-face Alex Pettyfer. I don't think he looks "beastly" at all. He just looks like he has a lot of tattoos.

So true! I'm a little more then half way through, and honestly, I'm not feeling it, at all. It will be interesting to see how the movie plays out. To me this a really lame rendition of Beauty and the Beast, done in such a blah way.

Last edited:

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson which I loved. Now I'm reading Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I'm happy to say it's living up to the great reviews I've read.

The Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill. I don't usually read sci-fi, but this book was really good. I read it in two days.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Finished Beastly today and I just really wasn't impressed. I actually think, though it doesn't happen often, the movie might be better then the book was. Guess we will just have to wait and find out.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I'm reading A Season of Eden by JM Warwick right now. It's about a student/teacher relationship (female/male respectively) in high school. Basically the girl gets really hung up on a substitute teacher. I'm only a chapter in so I'm not sure how it's going to go yet.

Last edited:

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I tried to read Nevermore by kelly Creagh ~ and gave up after 150 pages. Nothing wrong with it, just not my thing... (ie, paranormal angst ~ although I still hadn't gotten to the paranormal part)

Flew through Lucy Christopher's Flyaway (author of Stolen) ~ Flyaway was well-written ~ I'm thinking it's MG though? So the voice was a little young but I still thought it was touching.

I read Nothing Like You by Lauren Strasnick and loved it. It was just a compelling contemp ~ adored the prose, felt moved by it in the end. It's quite sparingly written ~ just gorgeous. I was quite mesmerised. I'll read more of hers for sure. so, yeah, recommended to all you contemp fans :D

annnnnnd... now I'm reading a UK YA When I Was Joe by Keren David, sailing along nicely so far :) It's about a guy who gets thrown in a witness protection program and has to start a new life, new identity, etc.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to check out Nothing Like You then, Nomes.

This isn't really YA, but I'm currently reading The Bell Jar for the first time. Quite enjoying it so far. Lovely writing :)

elissamarie

Registered
Reaction score
Up next I've got Nancy Werlin's Extraordinary. I loved Impossible so much, let's hope this one is as good!

Elissa Marie

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
finally reading Shiver and loving it! first book i've really enjoyed and have been able to actually stick with since Fall For Anything (which i LOVED).

Rosalyn_Kae

Better to be forgotten than sued!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deathbyink-rosalynkae.blogspot.com
*sigh* I attempted to read "The Forest Of Hands and Teeth" by Carrie Ryan. Too bad I learned the hard way that I'm not a big fan of literary novels. Hmm, tsk, tsk...I'm a lover of zombies and basically anything horror as opposed to paranormal but I don't know, something about this book just couldn't do it for me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.