Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
    Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, and it's really ticking me off. I have too much to do and all I want is to be left alone so I can immerse myself in it. Is that too much to ask!?!? ETA: Oopsy, mistook this thread for a similar one that's not about YA books.
    I loved this book, couldn't put it down.
    Everything has been composed, just not yet written down.
    -- Wolfgan Amadeus Mozart (1780)

My shiny and sparkling blog!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Heather3's Avatar
    I am reading THE PACE by Shelena Short, but I had to download it onto my Kindle because my library didn't have it...neither did my local bookstore.
    On writing: "Don't quit. It's very easy to quit after the first ten years."--Andre Dubus

practical experience, FTW SillyMom25's Avatar
    I'm reading Forget You. The plot feels a little off, and the main character can be dumb and irritating, but Jennifer Echols' strong point is definitely creating sexual chemistry and tension. Wow. That was the highlight of Going Too Far for me, as well.

She also writes amazing boys. Doug is, in a word, delicious. LOL
    Contemporary YA Author

JUST YOU, SOMEONE ELSE, and UNTIL NOW (series)
    OUT OF NOWHERE (ABNA 2012 Finalist)
    FAKING PERFECT (Kensington Publishing, June 30, 2015)

www.rebeccawritesya.com

My Worlds Are Building DonnaDuck's Avatar
    Zoomed through Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann (good god, is it too much to ask to have MORE YA horror like this???) and I'm zipping through Deadly by Julie C . . . something Italian. It's about a girl at the turn of the century New York wanting to learn more about disease. It's a compelling voice that's driving me through right now.
    Bitching, Books and Baking - wherein we bitch, we read books and we bake. That's, uh, about it.
    Tumblr - my personal space with random stuff that includes but is not limited to The Lost Boys, Labyrinth and books

Gritty YA Fantasy - QUERY MODE

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Finished Clockwork Angel as an audiobook. Meh.

My new audiobook isn't YA (it's one of the Dresden Files books).

In YA, I am still reading Demon's Lexicon and now am reading Across the Universe.
    I took the Flash Fiction Challenge this week. You could too! (password: flashed)

Hero/Villain: #pitchtopublication
    Super/Human: Not with betas, atm
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Ready to revise finally

This week, I'm in: Ohio

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Just started TRAPPED by Michael Northrop, which is about a group of kids who are trapped inside their school during a really bad snowstorm, so for me, reading it now while I'm somewhat trapped in my apartment by the bad weather, it's like reading about the sinking of the Titanic while on an Atlantic cruise... I really hope I'm not jinxing myself.

Lydia Sharp
    author represented by Laura Bradford
    editor with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    I don't read a lot of YA contemporary, but loved Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I liked all those bubbly young-love emotions.

Full review here

Listening to Bastille on repeat LadyA's Avatar
    Being a huge fan of 'boys' books, i am re-reading the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore, and am on book 5, three days into my (not really) epic quest. Absolutely love them, and i really recommend to anyone who loves a good action/teen spy story (they make Alex Rider seem pretty rubbish).

Also just read THE SECRET COUNTESS by Eva Ibbotson. Fantastic read, i love the historical setting and the characters are brilliant, particularly the villain, Muriel (although the FMC is a total Mary Sue).

Next I plan to re-read the YOUNG BOND series by Charlie Higson, including the 5th one which i haven't read yet. Again, all really good (i wouldn't be re-reading them otherwise).
    Amy x

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp

UNTITLED - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr

Represented by L0uise Fury of Th3 B3nt Ag3ncy.

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Senora Verde View Post
    I don't read a lot of YA contemporary, but loved Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I liked all those bubbly young-love emotions.

Full review here
    Read this last month. It was an instant favorite for me.

Lydia Sharp
    author represented by Laura Bradford
    editor with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

To thine own self be true. Rebekkah's Avatar
    I just finished The Hunger Games series. All three of them were good, except I liked the first two better then the last one.

The Designated No-Stress Friend
    I finished Gingerbread last night, and I thought it was a decent book.... nothing special though. I'm about to start reading Another Faust. I've got a long line of books to read after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana-Lynn View Post
    Picked up Thirteen Reasons Why from the book store. LOVED it! I read the entire novel in one sitting. I don't do that often, but I couldn't put it down.
    Just read this. Meant to read only one chapter this morning....ended up finishing the whole thing. I think I'm still mulling over this one (which is definitely good; having a story stay with you after reading is usually a plus imo ).

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia Sharp View Post
    Read this (Anna and the French Kiss) last month. It was an instant favorite for me.
    Me too, it was a fun story! I'm looking forward to the next in the series!

Before 13 Reasons Why, I read Matched (Allie Condie). I've a huge soft spot for futuristics/dystopians. This is another book I'm still mulling over and will most likely reread soon. Nonetheless, I'm waiting for the next book!
    Last edited by LfB; 02-09-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    'You write your first draft with your heart, and you rewrite with your head.' James Ellison

Finished K4ren Mah0ney's THE 1RON W1TCH. One or two fascinating ideas (clockwork birds and alchemists) squandered on awkward writing and clunky dialogue. There was little resolution to the story with a number of plot threads left dangling. I must be seriously out of touch with the YA market, because this is the second hot property in the last month (after L1sa Desroch3rs' P3RSONAL DEMONS) that left me cold.

I just bought Beach Blondes by Katherine Applegate and Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard today. Very excited! I just finished Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and the next book in the Pretty Little Liars series. Very good!
    Now Editing:
    Cinderella's Glass Stiletto - YA Fantasy, Mean Girls meets Once Upon a Time

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    Finished K4ren Mah0ney's THE 1RON W1TCH. One or two fascinating ideas (clockwork birds and alchemists) squandered on awkward writing and clunky dialogue. There was little resolution to the story with a number of plot threads left dangling. I must be seriously out of touch with the YA market, because this is the second hot property in the last month (after L1sa Desroch3rs' P3RSONAL DEMONS) that left me cold.
    What's with all the numbers instead of letters? So you didn't like Personal Demons? I was thinking of getting that one.

Quote Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
    What's with all the numbers instead of letters? So you didn't like Personal Demons? I was thinking of getting that one.
    Sorry - habit! It means that the authors won't stumble over my comments when they Google themselves. It's partly for my benefit and partly for theirs. I'm sure Karen Mah0ney doesn't want my negative review popping up in her Google alerts.

P3RSONAL DEMONS features the heart-meltingly romantic scene where the hero considers raping the heroine, a teenage girl, while she lies unconscious. Swoonworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    Sorry - habit! It means that the authors won't stumble over my comments when they Google themselves. It's partly for my benefit and partly for theirs. I'm sure Karen Mah0ney doesn't want my negative review popping up in her Google alerts.

P3RSONAL DEMONS features the heart-meltingly romantic scene where the hero considers raping the heroine, a teenage girl, while she lies unconscious. Swoonworthy.
    Ah... I never thought of doing that. Very clever.

Oy! I didn't realize it was like that. Guess I'll wait for the library to get it.

Hearts the furrily challenged. vfury's Avatar
    Started TH3 R3PLACEMENT tonight. I'm loving it so far--there's a definite, Tim Burton-esque feeling to the world.
    Blog | Twitter

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
    YA clockpunk Alice: revising

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Finished Clockwork Angel as an audiobook. Meh.

In YA, I am still reading Demon's Lexicon and now am reading Across the Universe.

OOooh I LOVED Across the Universe. Can't wait for the next one already! Course I also loved Clockwork Angel ...

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous pixydust's Avatar
    Oh, I was wondering about Th3 R3placement...I'll have to check it out. I love Tim Burton!

I'm reading three books at once right now--all books I can only get on my Kindle:

One is Sw1tched by H0cking (pretty cool concept, more original than I've seen in a while), CAM1LL3 by T3ss Ol1ver (I really am liking this one--Victorian era paranormal, brings to mind some of the old blk & wht horror movies) and HuSh Mon3y by Susan B1sch0ff (this is super unique, and well written, super hero fodder and fun). I grabbed these all for 99 cents, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm super excited how good they are!

I SO want to read Acr0ss the Un1verse! Looks really good!
    The Dark Cycle:
    DARKNESS BRUTAL, (Skyscape, July 1st, 2015) available for preorder!
    DARKNESS FAIR (Skyscape, Winter 2016)
    DARKNESS SAVAGE (Skyscape, Summer 2016)

Tweeters: @RachelAnneMarks

I just finished Going Bovine. So I really liked the premise and all, but it was so terribly long. I found myself skimming through a lot of it.

Will start Radiant Shadows tomorrow.

practical experience, FTW
    I just finished Going Bovine. So I really liked the premise and all, but it was so terribly long. I found myself skimming through a lot of it.

Will start Radiant Shadows tomorrow.
    Hmm, I've been thinking about reading Going Bovine but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I might just get it from the library.

practical experience, FTW egoodlett's Avatar
    I skimmed like... 90% of it. >.>
    ~Ellen~
    www.ellengoodlett.com
    Follow Me on Twitter: @egoodlett

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
    WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblondie View Post
    Hmm, I've been thinking about reading Going Bovine but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I might just get it from the library.
    I got it from the library and I'm really glad that I didn't spend the money on it. Though, like I said it was a great premise.

I skimmed like... 90% of it. >.>
    I was probably more like 50%.

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Okay, so I'm probably the last person in the world to read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (and I haven't seen the movie, either), but I'm reading it now.

And LOVING it. I'll probably read the whole book today.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Page 141 of 400 FirstFirst ... 416691116131135136137138139140141142143144145146147151166191216241391 ... LastLast