What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I read I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier over the weekend. Was very dark and a little confusing at the end, but I really liked it and the connection with the title was eerie. Not sure why I'm starting to get into dark things lately....

but then I started reading The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty, which is a lot more lighthearted. Love her writing. :)

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libby Bray and loved it! And I'll read XVI by Julia Karr next.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Been multi-reading lately. The latest to be added to the list is Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Yeah, I really like it so far. There's something haunting about the writing.

That one's on my reserve list at the library - I think I'm like #12 or something. I just finished up The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty. I loved it!! Making a super smart character who isn't extremely annoying is hard, I think, and I loved the way Moriarty did it. I had serious writer envy before, but now... :)

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Before I Fall, Bee :)

I just finished reading Janice Hardy's The Pain Merchants (The Shifter in the US, I think) and was totally blown away by it. I need the next book in the series, now. It's so cool to know that an AWer wrote it, as well.

I'm beginning a kind of YA, but kind of not, book at the moment. Girl in Translation, by Jean Kwok. Prose and voice is beautiful, so far. I'm really enjoying it.

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com

I keep hearing how people disliked Sam in the beginning, but strangely that didn't happen for me. I quite liked her form the beginning, infact (despite some of the meanness).
And I haven't even found it repetitive (because of the one-day-being-lived-over-and-over-again thing) that I heard some people complaining about. I thought each day went a different way. I think Lauren Oliver's done a very clever job.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score

I just finished reading Janice Hardy's The Pain Merchants (The Shifter in the US, I think) and was totally blown away by it. I need the next book in the series, now. It's so cool to know that an AWer wrote it, as well.

I'm beginning a kind of YA, but kind of not, book at the moment. Girl in Translation, by Jean Kwok. Prose and voice is beautiful, so far. I'm really enjoying it.

Also loved BIF! Just finished DELIRIUM, which I found very enjoyable.

My favorite recent read is STOLEN by Lucy Christopher. Also LOVE LOVE LOVED Suzanne Young's A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL (will be doing an ARC giveaway on my blog very soon!)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
So I picked up The Iron King by Julie Kagawa from the library because I was crunched for time and I couldn't walk out with just two books. Read the first 3 pages and I'm kind of wincing. I always give a book at least until page 50 to engage me (I'm generous), so I'm hoping this will get better soon.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I keep hearing how people disliked Sam in the beginning, but strangely that didn't happen for me. I quite liked her form the beginning, infact (despite some of the meanness).
And I haven't even found it repetitive (because of the one-day-being-lived-over-and-over-again thing) that I heard some people complaining about. I thought each day went a different way. I think Lauren Oliver's done a very clever job.

I did find it get a *tiny* bit repetitive, but then again, I read the book in one sitting and it's long. So even the repetitive parts must have been compelling as all hell.

I liked Sam, as well, and all the girls really. I found her really realistic. I think BIF is one of the most realistic representations of high school I've read.

Jill -- how intense and beautiful and scary is Stolen? It's a bit of a mindfuck, tho, because you really start to experience Stockholm Syndrome along with Lucy. It's so provocative and just downright good. Yeah, I loved that book :)

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I won a copy of Where She Went by Gayle Forman from Library Thing Early Reviewers. I last night and I'll probably finish it today. So good!

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Really enjoyed Across the Universe.

Also just read When you Reach Me and LOVED it.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Jill -- how intense and beautiful and scary is Stolen? It's a bit of a mindfuck, tho, because you really start to experience Stockholm Syndrome along with Lucy. It's so provocative and just downright good. Yeah, I loved that book :)

YES! STOLEN is one of my top books of 2010!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
This year's Costa-winner, Jason Wallace's Out of Shadows. It's set in Zimbabwe in 1983, just after Mugabe came to power. Definitely older YA - there's a "Not Suitable for Younger Readers" note on the back cover.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Anna and the French Kiss. Overall, I liked it a lot. I was annoyed several times throughout the book, but I guess I was supposed to be (the main character was, too...). And some of the subplots weren't wrapped up. But it's a fun YA romance.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Going Bovine by Libba Bray. This is one of those books I picked up because I heard it was good, but I had little knowledge of what it's about. I love the voice, but it took me a long time to figure out what was going on, and I'm still not sure if I know!! :) I'm about 1/3 of the way in. Set aside The Iron King for now.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Picked up Heist Society. I love the pacing like woah.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Read Sweethearts by Sara Zarr. It was a great book, though I was a little disappointed with the end. Otherwise, the voice was great, and the writing was excellent.

Picked up Thirteen Reasons Why from the book store. LOVED it! I read the entire novel in one sitting. I don't do that often, but I couldn't put it down.

Getting ready to read Shiver. I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Last edited:

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I loved Before I Fall so have been excited for this one, enjoying it so far.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Almost done with FALL FOR ANYTHING by Courtney Summers. This is her third pubbed novel, but the first of hers I've read. LOVE her style. Very refreshing.

Haven't read FFA yet, but I've been meaning to. I loved, loved, loved Some Girls Are.

Status
Not open for further replies.