Status
Not open for further replies.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I also just finished reading Fallen and really wasn't impressed. The writing itself was good but the pace was SOOOO slow. and the way it was written it was really predictable. The author basically told you what was going to happen throughout 90% of the book in the prologue. I was able to read the whole thing despite that fact, though. Her characters were good enough to get me through it.

Even though it was pretty clearly written better I'd still prefer Hush hush if you're looking for a YA novel involving angels.

and one more comment-- even though, once again, it was written better it was still a little off putting that (other than the angel thing) it was exactly the same plot as Evermore.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Some Girls Are today. It was intense, but a pretty fast read. I was a little disappointed in the ending, I thought it would be bigger somehow. But otherwise loved it. One of the best books I have read in awhile. I need to pick up one of Summers other books, or something else like it.

Korey, don't feel bad. Actually have The Hunger Games on hold at the library (behind 70-something people), so I haven't read it either.

Tromboli, thanks. I Hush, Hush is in my TBR pile, maybe I will read it soon.

Last edited:

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to The Book Thief. Aussie authors FTW! Such an awesome read. I am, however, really struggling with both the first book of the Vamp Academy series and Paranormalcy. Maybe it's because I'm male. I don't know lol.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
eyeblink:
Melvin Burgess on Wintergirls, from yesterday's Observer.

Melvin is my YA writing god and I defer to him in all things.

:genuflects:

:D

That is a seriously good review - and well deserved IMO.

Finished GULLSTRUCK ISLAND by Frances Hardinge and loved it - it's sophisticated, incredibly imaginative and very clever and I loved the way she meshed together different cultures including Polynesian, Aztec, Mayan and others.

Currently reading THE IRON KING by Julie Kagawa and ... meh. I like the idea of introducing a new iron court to traditional Seelie/Unseelie fae folklore but my big problem is with the female MC who suffers from Stupid Decision Syndrome. This sees her failing to listen to the people around her and continually making bad decisions/bargains for stupid reasons. I'm also completely over love triangles in YA fiction - I know why they're there but honestly if I see one more book wherein two hot boys are fighting over The Girl Who No One Notices then I'll ... I'll ... Okay I won't do anything. I'll just grumble a lot. Probably here. Carry on.

MM

(Incidentally and with apologies for the shameless self-promotion, I am giving away a signed ARC of Frances Hardinge's new novel TWILIGHT ROBBERY on my RL Blog - check out the YA ARC give-away thread for more info).

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Adoration of Jenna Fox - it was good, really beautifully written.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Feed this morning. Wow. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

It's an excellent book. That much I can say. And it makes you really think, and left me feeling rather guilty that I don't know more of what's going on in the world, etc.

It's a bit difficult to get into, at first, with all the like don't kick me in my face organ null unit the moon sucks my brag lesion is oozing but that unette is meg hot. :D

After the first few chapters, the MC starts to think more on his own, and by then, the story has begun. So, at that point, I couldn't put the book down. It took me two days to read the first few chapters, though.

Anyway, I'm going to go read up on the world news, so I won't feel so guilty...

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting Anna Godbersen's Bright Young Things tonight. Looking forward to it, as I liked her Luxe series.

Was really impressed with Melvin Burgess' review of Wintergirls!

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Reading bluebloods... It's a hard slog for me. I don't like the way a scene is examined from multiple character's perspectives over a few chapters.

LivingDork

the zompocalypse is coming
Registered
Reaction score
Margo Lanagin's Tender Morsels. I've read it before, but I keep coming back to it. I haven't read her short stories, but I hear they're wonderful. I came back to it after deciding I wasn't reading the rest of the Evermore books.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Sweethearts, by Sara Zarr, now. Loving it so far.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Adoration of Jenna Fox, and I loved it. Well written, thought-provoking story.

Also finished Matched, one of my new, all-time favorites, and I couldn't stop gushing for days, including gushing on Twitter, which led to some conversation with the author, the amazing Ally Condie!

So now I'm waiting (IM!)patiently for Ally's next book.

Em

Why Write YA? Why Not Write "Real Books"?: http://t.co/LJa0Tkp

Last edited:

perfectisafault

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Such A Pretty Girl and liked it okay, but now I'm reading Living Dead Girl and ohmygod, that book is fabulous. Really hard to read, but so, so, so good.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Just read A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce and I thought it was good-- very well written. It's a Rumpelstilskilian tale and I thought the world was really well described.

Across the Universe is next!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Anna and the French Kiss, which leapt up into my Top 10 Books of All Time. It's that good.

I just started Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Sweethearts. It's now my favorite Sara Zarr novel.

I guess I'll read Anna and the French Kiss next, since it's the book everyone else is reading. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.