What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I finished The Truth About Forever. My opinion remains the same. It was okay, but I didn't absolutely love it.

Reading Feed, by M.T. Anderson, next.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
So, I finished The Truth About Forever. My opinion remains the same. It was okay, but I didn't absolutely love it.

Reading Feed, by M.T. Anderson, next.

So I read Feed a couple weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it - about 4 days after I was done. My advice, read some summaries/ unspoilery reviews before you get into it (if you haven't already) so that you know what to expect.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I finished A MONSTER CALLS last night. It was amazing. If you're a fan of Patrick Ness and/or Siobhan Dowd, definitely check it out when it's released in a few months. :)

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
So I read Feed a couple weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it - about 4 days after I was done. My advice, read some summaries/ unspoilery reviews before you get into it (if you haven't already) so that you know what to expect.

I read it 'cold' and thought it was really clever-- although it did take me a few chapters to get a handle on the world.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I read it 'cold' and thought it was really clever-- although it did take me a few chapters to get a handle on the world.

Oh I thought it was clever and everything, the world building was phenomenal, but I got so fed up with the dull, self-absorbed characters and some of the ridiculous things they did. I didn't figure it out until about halfway through that they were intended to be that way. If I had known ahead of time that they were like that for a reason, I would have enjoyed it more.

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
I finished A MONSTER CALLS last night. It was amazing. If you're a fan of Patrick Ness and/or Siobhan Dowd, definitely check it out when it's released in a few months. :)

I'm a huge fan of Patrick Ness, so I was curious about this one! How does it compare to his Chaos Walking books?

(And do you need to have read Siobhan Dowd's other stuff first? I've never got around to checking it out, I'm afraid.)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Dammit, I'm outta books again. Finished The Truth About Forever, I liked it, but not as much as Lock and Key...
Will have to go hunt down some more books, however, my used book stores in town keep failing me :)

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I thought it was clever and everything, the world building was phenomenal, but I got so fed up with the dull, self-absorbed characters and some of the ridiculous things they did. I didn't figure it out until about halfway through that they were intended to be that way. If I had known ahead of time that they were like that for a reason, I would have enjoyed it more.

ah. :)

lulzy

thinking
Registered
Reaction score
Just a few hours ago, I bought some books for friends to read.

So currently, I am going to read Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King.

After that, the TBR pile I have.

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Shade's Children. What I really want to read is Magic Under Glass, and even though I have a Kindle now, I'm still being stingy with my money. Then again, I haven't gotten a full paycheck at the Writing Center because of stupid snow days and Martin Luther King deciding he wanted to have a dream on a Monday, so...

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
I'm currently reading The DUFF, but I just finished Tell Me a Secret by Holly Copala and I LOVED it! The way she wove plotlines was fabulous!

I have to agree about Tell Me A Secret. The technique used in the treatment of the plot was fantastic.

I'm currently reading Ten Miles Past Normal. I'm liking it, but since it's on ebook (and I'm not exactly fond of ebooks), it's going slow.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read The Mockingbirds. Overall I think she treated the subject quite well, but the MC's habit of having random 1 paragraph fantasies of weird things happening, exactly like JD on Scrubs, was annoying. Also thought it was strange that the MC told her teacher she was raped and the teacher didn't report it to the police--wouldn't she be a mandated reporter???

And then Blindsided. Quite a good story about a girl losing her vision at age 14. She defied fictional-person-with-disability stereotype by being neither inspirational fodder for other characters nor a pity party nor a wondrous hero. Also there was a very hungry bear!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working through Demon Lexicon, which for some reason isn't grabbing me, despite the fact that it's totally my genre and everyone who's read it seems to love it.

I just finally finished Luna (which took me ages to get through too, but the second half I finished in a night after putting it down for several months).

I took a break to read Coffeehouse Angel, which was a fun bit of fluffy reading.

I'm going to Borders later today, so DL might be postponed again, depending on what I pick up there.

lulzy

thinking
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if saying that I'm reading Zombicorns counts.
If not, then Sorta Like A Rockstar by Matthew Quick it is then.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Shiver By Maggie Shi..... something. I can't spell her last name. BUT this is the first YA book in a long time that gave me a real, emotional reaction.

I thought it was a beautiful story. It thoroughly depressed me - read into this that I cried like a baby - even though the ending was happy-ish. I really love how different this book is form all the other paranormal stuff out right now.

She captures the essence of what it's like to know what you love can vanish at any second. I guess I just "get it".

Last edited:

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Patrick Ness, so I was curious about this one! How does it compare to his Chaos Walking books?

(And do you need to have read Siobhan Dowd's other stuff first? I've never got around to checking it out, I'm afraid.)

Stylistically, it's very different to Chaos Walking, and the story is also the opposite to the trilogy, a bit quieter and not as epic. It's still really good. It'll be interesting to see what you think of it. :)

(Nope! I haven't read any of her earlier works--I will eventually--and it's a standalone book.)

YAWriter37

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I am right near the end of Arthur Slade's paranormal novel titled "Draugr" It is a story about a young family who visits an Icelandic town near my home here in Manitoba. Arthur Slade is a Saskatchewan writer, and one I recommend. I have also read his book titled Tribes, and I still want to get all of his steampunk books so I can sit down and read them all at once.

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost done with The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff. I'm also reading Rampant by Diana Peterfreund. Both are quite excellent!

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Fallen by Lauren Kate. I liked it. Saw the similarities with Twilight, but it was written better IMO, and the protag was more likable.

Started reading Some Girls Are by Courtney Summer, and I am loving it. Read almost half of it in one sitting.

KoreyKaul

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
The Hunger Games

Boy, do I feel late to this party...

Status
Not open for further replies.