Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

practical experience, FTW egoodlett's Avatar
    Just finished The DUFF <333
    Now what to read....
    ~Ellen~
    www.ellengoodlett.com
    Follow Me on Twitter: @egoodlett

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
    WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Finished Twenty Boy Summer. Sad in parts, and joyful in others. A beautiful book (and the cover is perfect, which always make me happy; I confess I have a thing for covers).

Doing a beta read for an AW member, and then reading Hate List.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Finished Little Women and A Great and Terrible Beauty over the Christmas holidays, and am now addicted to Rebel Angels

practical experience, FTW egoodlett's Avatar
    Decided to give Anna and the French Kiss a try
    ~Ellen~
    www.ellengoodlett.com
    Follow Me on Twitter: @egoodlett

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
    WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller

practical experience, FTW perfectisafault's Avatar
    Right now I'm reading both Gringolandia by Lyn Miller-Lachmann (which I am VERY excited about, since the subject matter is something very close to my heart) and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.

Inspiration might strike you Penguin's Avatar
    Reading The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. Amazing!
    About a 14 year old girl from an isolated community who's been forced to marry her 60 year old uncle.

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Just finished THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson.

Just started ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins... is it just me or are the pages in that book extra silky? Seriously. My fingertips are in love.

Lydia Sharp
    author represented by Laura Bradford
    editor with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

Feeling decidedly underwhelmed by Ally Condie's MATCHED thus far. Partly it's the heavy-handed foreshadowing. "I wanted to dream about my Match last night, but I didn't. THIS SEEMS SOMEHOW MEANINGFUL. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? I wonder, as I stare out of the window at a sky the colour of DEEP MEANING."

for the love of love Lydia Sharp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    Feeling decidedly underwhelmed by Ally Condie's MATCHED thus far.
    I swear, people either love that book or they hate it.

Lydia Sharp
    author represented by Laura Bradford
    editor with Entangled Publishing
    frequently on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia Sharp View Post
    I swear, people either love that book or they hate it.
    I wouldn't say I actively hate it. It's fine. The opening scene was good, and the grandfather's death was well done. But I'm a quarter of the way through and thus far there has been absolutely no plot - just pages and pages of ominous hints that there might in future be plot. And the world-building is kind of nonsensical thus far. I wish it was a little less teenage soap opera and a little more THE HUNGER GAMES.

edit: The heroine is currently sitting between the two love interests. COULD THIS BE SYMBOLIC?
    Last edited by Parametric; 01-13-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    I liked the book, but didn't love it.

The biggest problem I had with it was how the MC would think something, and the person she was with would respond as if she said it. This happened many many times. A few she points it out ("as if reading my mind" or something). But I was drawn into the book pretty well.

Hero/Villain: Querying
    Super/Human: With a beta
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Perpetually waiting

This week, I'm in: Ohio

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    I just read The Order of the Poison Oak by Brent Hartinger--seriously I love this book so much I want to marry it. It's the sequel to Geography Club. Nice gay boy falls in love while working as a camp counselor for burn survivor little kids.

And I read G1rl, Stolen, about a blind girl who gets inadvertently kidnapped when this kid steals a car. I dunno, I suppose the thriller genre is just not for me. For the first two thirds of the book, nothing happens but a series of tell-y recollections about the MC's life pre-kidnapping, mostly about how blind people get around. Meanwhile I'm thinking, This guy steals an Escalade belonging to the richest man in the entire state and there's no frigging OnStar to show the police where the car has gone?????? I will say at the end the MC was a totally awesome badass, which I really enjoyed. If only there was more badass and less sitting around it would have been great.

I just realized I can't remember the title of the book I'm reading. It's the weird part of having a Kindle, I don't appreciate covers or titles nearly as much.

I just finished THE VESPERTINE by Saundra Mitchell and THE BETRAYAL OF MAGGIE BLAIR. Don't really read a lot of YA historical normally, but I loved those.

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    I liked Matched and thought it lived up to the hype. I reviewed it on my blog here

I just read P@ran0rma1cy and thought it was awful. Like allovertheplace awful. Gak.

Reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie.
    Last edited by PollyAnna; 03-10-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: google-thwart

New fish
    Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King

Finished MATCHED today. The plot finally showed up about 95% of the way into the book. Pretty frustrated.

I think you had to accept that the plot was about the romance, not about the dystopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I think you had to accept that the plot was about the romance, not about the dystopia.
    Yeah, I think I came into this with the wrong expectations. When I pick up a dystopian novel, I'm looking for a kickass story about people rebelling against a broken society. Basically, THE HUNGER GAMES. This one not only failed in the ass-kicking department, it barely even had any rebellion. (When the protagonist passed up on her chance to contact the secret rebel underground, I almost cried. That's the classic opening to a dystopian! It's like a fantasy in which the protagonist refuses the call to adventure and spends the next 400 pages farming.) Cassia did come to realise how evil her society is, but her response was very underwhelming. All she did was give a guy a piece of a dress, which was all very meaningful and romantic, don't get me wrong, but I was waiting for her to pick up a rocket launcher.

It was just a very frustrating experience. If I'd known this was a slow-paced romance with a dystopian setting, I would have known not to pick it up.

practical experience, FTW
    Just finished Other Words For Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    Yeah, I think I came into this with the wrong expectations. When I pick up a dystopian novel, I'm looking for a kickass story about people rebelling against a broken society. Basically, THE HUNGER GAMES. This one not only failed in the ass-kicking department, it barely even had any rebellion. (When the protagonist passed up on her chance to contact the secret rebel underground, I almost cried. That's the classic opening to a dystopian! It's like a fantasy in which the protagonist refuses the call to adventure and spends the next 400 pages farming.) Cassia did come to realise how evil her society is, but her response was very underwhelming. All she did was give a guy a piece of a dress, which was all very meaningful and romantic, don't get me wrong, but I was waiting for her to pick up a rocket launcher.

It was just a very frustrating experience. If I'd known this was a slow-paced romance with a dystopian setting, I would have known not to pick it up.
    And I wonder how much of this was, "Oh, I have to set it up for a series, and I can't let her figure things out/change too fast"?

So I finished The Duff last night. Excellent debut by Kody!! I think it'll really resonate with teenagers.

I got my first e-book from the library today too - Will Grayson, Will Grayson. So our library system only has 100 YA books available for loan and I had to wait a week to get one. Not bad in all, but I wish they'd add more titles.

i just bought The Duff. read 5 pages and i'm addicted lol.
    Now Editing:
    Cinderella's Glass Stiletto - YA Fantasy, Mean Girls meets Once Upon a Time

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog

Finished Tomorrow, When the War Began, on to Jenny Valentine's The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight next.
    "The afterlife is like Aldershot." (from Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel)

Out Stack and Other Places, collection out now from Midnight Street Press

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (YA) - 75,254 words complete draft. On sub.

Conor and Me (YA) - 44,033 words and counting

"The Umami Invasion" (short fiction) - 1887 words and counting

I find ur lack of faith disturbing mellymel's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
    Just finished Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers...EXCELLENT. I was addicted the whole way through. Now my favorite of hers. Highly recommend.

About to start Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Read a rave review about it from someone who's taste I really trust. I'm very excited about this one.
    "The good thing about telling the truth is that there's nothing to remember."--John Ford Noonan (playwright)
    "Falling on your face is still moving forward."--Ron Maranian (comedian)

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

Page 133 of 400 FirstFirst ... 335883108123127128129130131132133134135136137138139143158183208233383 ... LastLast