What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I hate being a fast reader--since Christmas, I've read The Hunger Games trilogy and Matched by Ally Condie.

I really enjoyed The Hunger Games, and I'm glad I kept myself unspoiled for them. While I thought they were good, I couldn't help thinking that it was like The Running Man and The Long Walk got mixed in a blender, and Hunger Games was the result. Mockingjay was my least favorite of the trilogy.

I liked Matched as well, although it seemed very similar to The Giver. I tend to like stories set in weird futuristic societies, so it was a fun read for me.

I pretty much agree. Really enjoyed Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but Mockingjay was not a favourite for me.

I just read Matched as well. I thought it was ok. I might have overdone the dystopian thing though. I'm not eager to find out what happens next in it.

I did really enjoy reading Uglies and the 3rd Gallagher Girl novel. I found the first two were really fluffy, but the 3rd one had some substance.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I did really enjoy reading Uglies and the 3rd Gallagher Girl novel. I found the first two were really fluffy, but the 3rd one had some substance.

I didn't care much for Uglies. Every time the main character said she wanted to pretty, I cringed and the whole world just seemed really out of whack to me. I couldn't imagine a society developing into something like that after an apocalyptic event.

But, I did like his book Peeps - I found the science in it interesting (although not for the squeamish) and the theory behind his vamps to be pretty solid.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Hannah Moskowitz's Break (I know, I know, what took me so long? I'm not sure. but OMG it was fantastic), and just started reading The DUFF. Contemp YA by AWers kick I guess?

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Heist Society-- v. quick read!

Just picked up The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Harry Potter 7 again. Then I'll read Twenty Boy Summer.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on Dash and Lily's Book of Dares. Huzzah! Snarly hipster nerds! Strand Bookstore! Wintertime in New York City! Finding love on a bookstore shelf! The David Levithan half is hilarious enough to cause numerous incidences of undignified snorting on my part. Can't wait to finish it :)

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Fall For Anything - I love Courtney Summes. Next up is Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler.

LeafintheBreeze

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished You by Charles Benoit. It's a quick read, and pulled me in right from the start. I think it's the first book I've read that's in second person POV.

Starting If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

JennyCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennycoonpeterson.com
I just finished "The Curse of the Wendigo" by Rick Yancey. YA horror and really, really good. I loved how literary it was, even though it was dealing with paranormal stuff.

I also picked up "Leviathan," but haven't started it yet.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler. It's a short read so I'll probably make it all the way through but I'm not sure how I'm liking it. It's compelling enough but if I don't get a reason WHY the MC is bestowed as Famine by death, I'm going to be really cranky.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished THE DEMON TRAPPERS: FORSAKEN by Jana Oliver. It's set in Atlanta in 2018 where the economy has continued to decline, the government is bankrupt and infrastructure is crumbling and follows Riley, a 17 year old apprentice demon trapper and the only female apprentice in the world. The love triangle left me meh and the book itself is almost all set up, so there are a lot of strands being developed without a huge amount of immediate pay-off and some of these set-up scenes slowed the pace too much for me. However the fight scenes are well handled, I liked the depiction of the different types of demon and Oliver gives you the confidence that the open plot strands will be resolved in the later books so I'll be reading on.

I've just started TAKING FLIGHT by Sheena Wilkinson, which is set in Northern Ireland and is about a troubled teenage boy from a council estate in Belfast who goes to stay with his wealthy female cousin who earns a horse. I'm enjoying the voice of the male MC, which feels very authentic so I'll see how it goes.

Incidentally, all the rave comments I've seen here for WINTERGIRLS made me take up a chance for a free copy, so I'm looking forward to getting that and seeing if it lives up to expectations.

MM

Last edited:

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished BREAK by Hannah Moskowitz/ShadyLane. Brilliant book - had to force myself to stop reading it last night or I'd have ended up like a zombie this morning from lack of sleep ;).

Am annoyed because I ordered JUMPER by Steven Gould from Amazon uk and got THE COMMANDOS: THE INSIDE STORY OF AMERICA'S SECRET SOLDIERS instead. Life sucks when you have no books to read. Damn Amazon :(

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Wherever Nina Lies and loved it!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began. The film version opened while I was iln Australia last September and I saw it on opening night in Melbourne. I'm reading the novel in preparation for hopefully rewatching the film when it opens in the UK(15 April).

I haven't seen any word of a UK publication. (I think there was a UK edition way back in the 1990s but it's long out of print.) You'd think someone would put out a tie-in edition, wouldn't you? It does make me wonder how much of a release the film is going to get here, maybe a sink-or-swim style release over the Easter holidays. My copy was bought off Amazon, but it's a US edition from 2006 - with an "Aussie glossary" at the front.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers & really enjoyed it. Also read that same day- Paranormalcy and thought it was really cute.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally settling in to read All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater Rhodes. It's the sequel to Shattered Mirror, and I've been looking forward to having it in hand (despite the cover, which I wish matched its predecessor) for ages. I saw it in rougher phases, but there's just something about seeing the final product, about sinking into the story like it's some miniature portal into another world. You just don't get that with digital copies. It's vampires and witches, but drat it all, it's vampires and witches done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.