What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzy

Quiet but observant
Registered
Reaction score
I hate being a fast reader--since Christmas, I've read The Hunger Games trilogy and Matched by Ally Condie.

I really enjoyed The Hunger Games, and I'm glad I kept myself unspoiled for them. While I thought they were good, I couldn't help thinking that it was like The Running Man and The Long Walk got mixed in a blender, and Hunger Games was the result. Mockingjay was my least favorite of the trilogy.

I liked Matched as well, although it seemed very similar to The Giver. I tend to like stories set in weird futuristic societies, so it was a fun read for me.

bri_ness

Registered
Reaction score
I'm (finally) reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Will Grayson, Will Grayson :) Really enjoying both.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Five Flavors of Dumb, about a deaf girl who becomes the manager of an awful high school band. Very entertaining and funny. It took a lot of boringish YA tropes and made them pretty interesting IMO--like the quiet nerd who gets a drastic makeover and comes out of her shell, the dysfunctional middle class family, realizing the popular kids aren't really happy and shiny/the punk kids aren't as crazed and angry as the nerd MC imagines they are. And a realistic, well-researched portrayal of a deaf MC.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
Kitty Pryde, that sounds like a really cool book, not one I've ever heard of before!

Right now I am reading Brightly Woven for the first time and am out of my mind excited about it. I have heard nothing but good things about this book, even after it's been out for a year, and I got to read the first chapter when it came out, and was intrigued. So I am seriously looking forward to this one.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
About to start Crazy by Han Nolan and just finished a Night Fall series book, Skin by Rick Jasper. It's a horror series aimed towards more reluctant or not as advanced readers of YA. I'm loving it so far. I just wish there was more of the story!

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Linger and this series is turning out to be one of my all time favorites. I still think it's funny to think how I was never going to read these books because I thought it sounded boring. Glad I gave it the chance.

Wordcaster

Straw that broke the camel's back
Registered
Reaction score
I know I am late to the game on this one, but just finished Hunger Games yesterday. Good pacing, but I think I am all set with the series for now.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I just finished Entice by Carrie Jones. I like the series, but a few times I wanted to huck the book across the room. Her writing is so simple, plain, and she uses the same phrases a million times over. While reading her books I often think... how come she's published and I'm not lol.

Starting Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare today.

HayleytheScribbler

will write for cake
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hayleyvornholt.com
I'm reading Eon by Alison Goodman (US title. On Goodreads it's also called Eon: Dragoneye Reborn and The Two Pearls of Wisdom). It's AWESOME. I only meant to read a little bit tonight but I've now been sitting here for 3 hours :)

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Matched by Ally Condie and boy am I liking it. It's The Giver, but with a hefty dose of romance. Which is normally not my thing at all, given I hate romance in general, but somehow watching this particular MC be all troubled works for me.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Linger and I found it much the same as the first book, only the other way around.

I'm a little over series where they just swap roles, or they go on for too long (House of night and The Immortals series).

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Cracked Up to Be a few days ago. Liked it a lot, but not quite as much as Some Girls Are.

KoreyKaul

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. Definitely a refreshing read.

buckeyegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Almost finished with City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. For some reason, the book slowed down considerably for me in the middle and I actually put it aside for about a month and read other books. On a whim, I went back to it, got through whatever made it slow down for me, and now I'm really enjoying it. I actually went out today and bought the sequel, City of Ashes. Did anyone else feel like it slowed down in the middle?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished a self-published book by my 9th-grade English teacher, Meetings at the Metaphor Cafe. What's funny is I took his class, but I want to take that class (the book is a little Mary Sueish). What was most interesting was to see how his classes (or at least the fictional versions of them) have evolved in a post-9-11 world.

Reading Jane by April Lindner. Although, I've never read Jane Eyre, so I can't compare.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd--love the author and I didn't think the subject matter (The Troubles in Ireland in 1980) would interest me that much, but it was super duper good. The dialect was very enjoyable to read.

Then Monsters of Men. It had an awfully slow start, but once it picked up it was just as good as the first two books. I love how all the different characters get to be heroes, not just the two MCs. Also there was a gay alien. Hurrah!

Status
Not open for further replies.