What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm halfway through Helen Grant's second novel The Glass Demon, after having been very impressed by her Carnegie Medal-shortlisted debut, The Vanishing of Katharina Linden. While Vanishing was really a crime story, it used local folklore metaphorically for an effect not far removed from a horror novel. Glass Demon is more obviously a supernatural horror tale - and I know that Grant has had horror/supernatural short fiction published. Both novels are set in Germany, and both have narrators who are English (or half-English) girls living there.

The Glass Demon is building up nicely.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I was told I had to read it, and I'm shocked I hadn't read it sooner, since I'm finding it awesome.

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
Before I Fall is on my TBR list. I hope to get to it soon. I've only heard good things about it...

I'm stuck in a biography right now, but my next YA is going to be: Paper Towns, John Green. I've been looking forward to it for a while. I want to get through this biography in the next few days--it's slow-going because it contains some good info, but it's horribly written.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, which is okay. Not quite believing in the male narrator at the moment as he seems such an idealised stereotype.

MM

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I finished it earlier today, Niki G -- it's truly amazing.

I'm moving on to THIRST by Christopher Pike, at the request of a friend who doesn't want to have to read it to decide if it's worth reading or not, and wants me to test-run for her, instead. I don't think it'll stack up in comparison, purely because I'm not in a hugely vampire mood.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Trash by Andy Mulligan. Wow, it was good. It's a great boy book--I actually cannot think of any hypothetical boy anywhere who would not love this story (um, and it appeals to gals too I reckon). It's about 3 kids who live and work in a garbage dump sorting garbage, when they discover something really good and have a bunch of thrilling adventures. The extreme poverty is really striking but it was not even a teeny bit preachy--the story speaks for itself. One of the MCs is a 10 year old orphan named Rat who lives alone in a hole at the dump and scavenges trash to survive (and you thought Harry Potter had it rough!)

And now I'm reading Will by Maria Boyd. It's hilarious, it reminds me of that show The In-Betweeners on BBC, like how comically gross and awful can high school boys get. There's also a good gay friend in there. The Something Bad Happened To The Protagonist's Father But We Won't Tell You What And Now The Protagonist Is Troubled subplot is getting tired, I have to say, but other than that this book is fun. Australian kid moons a girls' school bus and is forced to participate in the school musical's orchestra as punishment.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Read The Adoration of Jenna Fox yesterday. Amazing.

And, incidentally, not contemporary. :D

I thought it was pretty brilliant too! :) And, I'm also a contemp reader :D

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway - it's fun!

Agree Agree!

I've just started BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, which is okay. Not quite believing in the male narrator at the moment as he seems such an idealised stereotype.

MM

I didn't finish my copy. Made it 150 pages in. I found the male POV to be a bit blah. Androgynous, really. :D

I just finished Trash by Andy Mulligan. Wow, it was good. It's a great boy book--I actually cannot think of any hypothetical boy anywhere who would not love this story (um, and it appeals to gals too I reckon). It's about 3 kids who live and work in a garbage dump sorting garbage, when they discover something really good and have a bunch of thrilling adventures. The extreme poverty is really striking but it was not even a teeny bit preachy--the story speaks for itself. One of the MCs is a 10 year old orphan named Rat who lives alone in a hole at the dump and scavenges trash to survive (and you thought Harry Potter had it rough!)

And now I'm reading Will by Maria Boyd. It's hilarious, it reminds me of that show The In-Betweeners on BBC, like how comically gross and awful can high school boys get. There's also a good gay friend in there. The Something Bad Happened To The Protagonist's Father But We Won't Tell You What And Now The Protagonist Is Troubled subplot is getting tired, I have to say, but other than that this book is fun. Australian kid moons a girls' school bus and is forced to participate in the school musical's orchestra as punishment.

I'm ABSOLUTELY planning to read Trash. I've heard it's a bit Slumdog Millionaire-esque feel to it. Also heard it's brilliant and a bit of a tear-jerker.

Also! Will! I LOVE that book. I didn't think it came across as an overly troubled protag - more just a heap of good fun :) I think it came out in 2007 here (?) i remember it being a stand-out read at the time (after shifting through some dregs at my library). Re-read it last year (I think?)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I just read through the first 10 pages of this thread looking for book suggestions before I go to Morocco on Tuesday :)

I ended up getting Wicked Lovely, Matched, Gone, Uglies, Don't Judge a Girl by her Cover, and The Golden Compass

I then had to stop reading the thread before I got too carried away ;)

Right now, I'm re-reading Mockingjay. I love that series.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't started reading it yet (probably won't until New Year), but my copy of John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began arrived yesterday through the snow from Amazon UK. It turns out to be a US edition published by Scholastic. It also has an "Aussie Glossary" at the front, which presumably isn't in the Australian edition!

I was in Australia when the film version came out, and I saw it on opening night in Melbourne. I'm reading the book before the film comes out in the UK (April 2011), when I'll probably see it again.

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com

I'm moving on to THIRST by Christopher Pike, at the request of a friend who doesn't want to have to read it to decide if it's worth reading or not, and wants me to test-run for her, instead. I don't think it'll stack up in comparison, purely because I'm not in a hugely vampire mood.

Glad to hear it--hope to get to it soon. That's nice of you, doing a test run for her. I used to love Christopher Pike. But yes, I would imagine it's going to be a largely different experience... And not being in a vampire mood will definitely color that experience...

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished Octavian Nothing. It was really good, but a slow read for me. I also got really bored during the last 1/4 of the book when the narrator switched. It became just really hard to follow at that point. But then the narrator switched back and the ending was fantastic.

Turning to some Rick Riordan now, The Lost Hero. My son finished it about 2 weeks ago and it's been sitting on my desk.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com

Have fun with Thirst... The first book is great... the second... let's just say it ends not how I was at all expecting, taking a turn in a direction I thought was completely ridiculous. Then, today, while I was at Walmart... I noticed that they have come out with a 3rd novel in the installment.
Honestly, I am seriously considering not even reading it.
And... then when you toss in hearing the the author is going to throw out another book (4) I just want to cry.

If you don't know much about the series... it started back in 1994-1996. And I get a very bad taste in my mouth when an author decides to add more books into a series that was "done" and 14 years after the fact. This is also what L.J Smith did with her series "the vampire diaries" and well... if you haven't read those... the series went down hill (at least for me) when she decided to add to the series 17 years after the fact.

deltay

Registered
Reaction score
Just recently finished Nothing Like You by Lauren Strasnick and Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Shadow Hills. It started off really well, but I struggled to finish. I'm about to start reading Linger.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Just getting into book two of THIRST and I'm trying to remember why I loved Christopher Pike so much as a kid. I may have to pull out some of his other works, like Fall Into Darkness, to recover a bit before reading more.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
ONE of the reasons I couldn't finish that book. What 16 yr old male talks/acts/thinks like that? Srsly.

Finished The Demon's Lexicon. So good. Now THERE'S a believable male MC (no spoilers!)

On to Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.